Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: What have you learned today?  (Read 10970 times)

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: What have you learned today?
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2011, 04:15:48 pm »

967th Dwarven Law of Insanity:
The chance of dwarves deciding to walk outside to 'store item in bin' is inversely proportional to the number of goblins present on the map.

Seriously, it's getting on my nerves...no one cares about the piles of clothing left all over the map, yet the moment a goblin shows up it's a race to the gate !

I feel your pain, but I also have a solution: burrows work wonders!
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Matazat

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:DARK_BEDROOM][DIET:RAMEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2011, 07:12:51 pm »

Today I learned that if the captain of your marksdwarf squad runs out of bolts while hunting a giant moose and proceeds to bash it on the head with his crossbow for 2 seasons, you should tell him to stop before a giant badger walks in and rips his stomach out.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2011, 07:21:43 pm »

I laerned that the dwarves are not as racist as we make them, considering the king is an elf again.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2011, 10:23:52 pm »

I laerned that the dwarves are not as racist as we make them, considering the king is an elf again.

Those in your fort are not dwarves, but filthy elves in disguise! Man the magma pumps!

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2011, 10:42:06 pm »

Those in your fort are not dwarves, but filthy elves in disguise! Man the magma pumps!

This may be true, since they have built a multiple level, capital city with streets and buildings above ground.

Unfortunately, this may make it difficult to purge the dirty elves with magma :(
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2011, 10:49:42 pm »

Tantrum spirals can be survived, even without any specific precautions.

engraving options for slabs disappear when a name is in the queue, but come back when the slab is in storage or is set up. I engraved certain names multiple times, waisting tons of stone.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:38:53 am by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2011, 04:05:02 pm »

Today I learned that creating a militia is, in fact, very easy to do.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2011, 04:29:21 pm »

That to obtian flux for my steel making industries i needed to mine away the tip of my volcano. Chanelling caused cave ins, on occasion into the magma pipe. Mining led to stranded and starving (due to not noticing... :)) miners.
This is a blank sig.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2011, 05:59:54 pm »

Today I learned that when my 30 grates get frozen, they disassemble...so my goblin filtering plan is a dismal failure.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2011, 06:56:44 pm »

I learned that minotaurs can breathe underwater. I also learned that marksdwarves will not fire their crossbows into water, but instead assume they can breathe water(they can't) and jump in to club the minotaur.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2011, 07:31:20 pm »

I learned that you don't talk about Kiddironol
I also learned you do NOT talk about Kiddironol

In all seriousness, today I learned that proficient teachers who know how to dodge adequately are the coolest things ever.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2011, 08:11:38 pm »

Today I found out that if you have a diplomat waiting to talk to your Duke, that your Duke won't meet with anyone else until that first diplomat has talked to him.  This applies even if that first diplomat is locked in an inaccessible chamber.  So much for my plan to start a collection of Elven Diplomats - I can't keep them around and still meet with human diplomats and dwarven trade liaisons.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2011, 08:49:12 pm »

I learned that if I decide to dig upward ramps instead of channeling I'll end up losing two dwarves to cave-ins.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2011, 09:09:23 pm »

I learned that serene glaciers' only wildlife are fluffy wamblers.
And that dwarves really SUCK at training themselves.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2011, 09:40:01 pm »

I learned that FBs that get their wings chopped off can still fly.

...Ow.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10