Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: What have you learned today?  (Read 10932 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
What have you learned today?
« on: May 21, 2011, 01:02:07 pm »

I have learned that a squad of blind dwarves;

1. Can explore caverns and reveal the fog of war.
2. Can fight pretty well when being attacked. (stand in corridor, stab the enemy who lounges at your shield)
3. Is completely WORTHLESS when it comes to getting rid of the giant rat who snuck into the fort.
 Seriously they chased it through the waterworks, through the hospital, the statuary garden, a guys house, the storage rooms, the sheriffs office, the pastures ... I had to draft a civilian who wrestled it down and held it in place or they would never have killed it.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What have you learned today?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 01:03:55 pm »

I learned that the mayor should not have an unfortunate accident, just because he mandated cotton candy items so early on in the game.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 01:26:07 pm »

I've learned today that even if the first thing you hit when digging downwards is magma, even when you've set up a smelting area, even when you've experienced multiple sieges, have several experienced squads with silver warhammers, alleys full of traps, crafts and clothes that can't fill up the trade depot before the caravan leaves, even when you have two major zoos with POWs and Skeletals, even when you've pretty much had a good time for 4 full years and over 130 dwarves, there is always the possibility that the only cave layer you've specified in world gen isn't the one filled with the magma sea, but the cavern two z-layers above it. With an underground lake.

I found that cavern today.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 02:10:33 pm »

I've been studying military demonstrations. Not sure if it's a per-day or per-lesson EXP pay rate and I feel the EXP gathered is randomised (after being weighted by Student/Teacher skills). I grabbed a migrant who happened to have some knowledge of fighting and set my Student 4 soldiers to learn under him. That migrant has been just about doing nothing but teaching because nobody is better than him to give him a demonstration. He's already at Novice Teacher after a couple months and is well on the way to Adequate.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 02:13:46 pm »

I learned that 20 dwarves idling in an open-air 5x5 meeting area while shitty shacks get thrown up is not going to have a happy ending. Especially since there are badgers and everyone is dehydrating.

*sigh* Rest in peace, attempted human-esque town.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 05:11:02 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:16:48 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 06:55:02 pm »

Today I learned that if you have a dabbling Surgeon perform multiple surgeries on a massively injured dwarf, you will sometimes find splatters of dwarf blood on the walls next to the surgical table after the operation is over.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 08:00:58 pm »

1.  Digging channels along the river bank can save your poor hunters/militia's lives when they dodge into the water.

2. My main woodpile abutts directly onto the wall of the river.

3.  All my picks/miners are below my shiny new central staircasewaterfall and I dont have enough wood for pumps
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 08:07:21 pm »

I learned that, although having a guard with training weapons is a good idea, it is not a good idea to send them to fight a goblin ambush.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 10:31:23 pm »

I learned not to move the militia into position in the clearing between the canyon of traps and the main entrance/trade depot until after the gobbo squads led by the elite gobbo bowmen come down off the highlands above the main entrance.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 03:49:54 am »

Power can be transmitted from a gear to the walkable tile of the screwpump.

Well, actually, I validified this the day before yesterday, after learning of it a couple of days before from a poster here.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 04:33:01 am »

I learned that just because you turned off invasions so you can focus on building a fort doesnt mean you can  safely disband your military.
I also learned that skeletal deer are assholes who will mercilessly rape your fledgeling fort.
Then I learned that you should assign armor/weapons to your emergency drafties.

Later I learned that types of biomes you embark on, and that while werewolves are easily killed, ogres are not.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 10:28:57 am »

I learned that I either need more melee dwarves with better training - for which invasions might need to go off for a while - or more marksdwarves with good bolts, especially steel bolts. Or both. And that seeing off a siege is messy and adrenaline inducing - and is good for inducing thankfulness for dfclean when the sight of the entrance is distressingly lurid.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 12:23:01 pm »

I learned that if you don't give the military training weapons early on, they don't get attached to them and you're able to outfit them properly later on.

[Signature]

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 12:45:20 pm »

I learnt that one should never, ever become complacent about food and water.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10