Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: What have you learned today?  (Read 10948 times)

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What have you learned today?
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2011, 11:32:20 pm »

Today I learned that creating a militia is, in fact, very easy to do.
Later on you'll learn that creating a 'competent' military force takes a lot more work and patience.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Flaming Monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2011, 12:28:27 am »

That deadly deadly dust is deadly.

My poor sworddorfs.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2011, 05:05:42 am »

Yesterday I learned that giving packs of war dogs to my militia captains is a bad idea.

"I'm so sad that one of my dogs died I'm going to kill one of my dogs." There were four of them in their own personal tantrum spirals. My sherrif had to work overtime beating them with his aluminium spear before hauling them off to jail. They didn't care that all the recruits died but I did. Next goblin ambush wiped that fort out.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2011, 05:34:20 am »

That you do not fuck with the animal people or they will fuck you with their blowgun darts repeatedly.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2011, 06:10:54 pm »

I learn that when the game is paused, an olm man looks very much like a 1x1 gabbro wall (which are pretty common in Chamberacts).
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

PFactorial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2011, 06:14:48 pm »

I learned that 25 cats can kill an alligator without casualties.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2011, 02:29:56 am »

I learned that a legendary miner with no military training can kill a cave crocodile so fast that only one of her triplets gets a limb bitten off.

EDIT: And I just learned that a Dwarven mother will stop what they are doing to pick up their Ghostly Dwarven Baby.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:09:05 am by thunktone »
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2011, 04:44:05 am »

that a woodcutter cannot use an axe in combat. Miners on the other hand... Minotaurs are the bitches of miners with steel pickaxes. :)

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2011, 05:04:34 am »

That feminists play Dwarf Fortress.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2011, 05:07:14 am »

That... is disturbing. Are they the kind that kill all the male dwarves in their fortresses?

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2011, 09:34:46 pm »

That... is disturbing. Are they the kind that kill all the male dwarves in their fortresses?

They kill everyone except male elves.

Because one way to stop a feminist is make them swoon to death

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2011, 11:23:00 pm »

EDIT: And I just learned that a Dwarven mother will stop what they are doing to pick up their Ghostly Dwarven Baby.
I find the implications for this astonishing.  Does anyone else smell science brewing?

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2011, 12:17:03 am »

I learned that Elves are.. useful.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Damn. Wasn't paying attention to where I was. The above happened in adventure mode.. though, now that I think about it, I could probably do the same in fortress with a bit more modding..
I wonder if kitten brain armor would sell for more than kitten biscuits..
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:51:26 am by Steele »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2011, 12:56:11 am »

Surely a masterful elf brain breastplate is about as effective armor as your birthday suit is :P

I learned today that modding in dwarf-sized or larger flying reptiles bent on theft of all you possess and placing them in biomes I like to embark in isn't necessarily a good idea. So far they've only been a disruption and light training for the militia, having only killed one peahen and causing very minor injuries to troops sent to remove them, like oversize buzzards. I intended for them to be much more frightening adversaries, especially to young forts.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:00:34 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

mideg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2011, 03:31:27 am »

I learned today that Giants can be killed with a single not well-trained marksdwarf - if he has bolts. I also learned how to equip my marksdwarves with bolts.

I had a well-running fortress, about 70ish dwarves, 5 iron-armored silver-hammer-dwarves and one little marksdwarf. And I had an entrance prepared with four bridges that was supposed to lead an invader the longer way which then would be shut off from the fortress and the outside and also divided in two parts. That was all ready, the burrows for my marksdwarf-army one z-level above was ready, too. The fortifications for the siege engine battery had been carved though I had not come around to start the construction of siege engines.

When the beast came, about a third of my dwarves were outside gathering wood and such. So I ordered everyone inside and left the entrance open until the very last moment. It really was the very last moment: The innermost bridge raised with the giant being two or three tiles away, my melee dwarves standing ready right behind it. I thought as a giant it would just destroy my feeble stone bridges, but it didn't and when the other bridges were being raised, it was caught. I ordered my marksdwarf to its burrow to tickle the beast with bolts. He had no training except for being an immigrant hunter I recruited as start for my marksdwarf squad. He did not shoot no bolt. I wondered and thought tjat maybe shooting down a z-level doesn't work after all. So I started installing my siege engines when I realized that I was out of logs. And with a giant in my main entrance, I couldn't gather any. (No caverns had been breached then and with a giant at my doorstep, I did not want to breach one then, really. :-) )

I started digging a second exit(, something I wanted to do anyway to connect my fortress to the brook in the corner of the map and shorten the way for my bucket-squad refilling my cisterns). Even before I was done, I reinspected my marksdwarf and saw that he had everything he needed except bolts. It took quite some time to figure out where I can tell him to pick up bolts, but when he finally did, it took only half a dozen shots or so and the giant was unconscious, in pain and suddenly not looking that large anymore. I lowered my bridges and my melee squad ran forward to slay the beast, but the marksdwarf got the kill with another half a dozen bolts before any hammerdwarf got even close.

Suffice it to say, when the message came that a giant had appeared, I was afraid to loose the entire fort - that would have really pissed me been Fun since this fort was the longest I had so far. I only lost one brewer who was to dumb to run inside in time sacrificed himself so the other dwarves could get in safety.
Oh I love it how SG lowers your expectations.
"Nobody too important died" sounds like a huge success to me now.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10