Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: IMF head arrested in NYC  (Read 4842 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: IMF head arrested in NYC
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2011, 05:14:50 pm »

Ok, wow, that's pretty terrible. Is the New York Post some sort of Tabloid now?

It is owned by news corp. The propaganda machine of Rupert Murdoch. It also owns FOX news and the British paper that hacked the cell phone of those murdered teenage girls.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2011, 05:15:02 pm »

The NYP has always treaded the line between legitimate newspaper and tabloid. They were often a case study in my classes in school for "creative" interpretations of ethical reporting, especially when it came to photo alterations.

They're basically the Fox News of the print world.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2011, 05:51:37 pm »

Speaking of which, the News of the World is now being shut down and the editor at the time is to be arrested tomorrow (probably on a perjury charge, since a recent email of his that his been revealed pretty much directly contradicts his testimony in a recent case).  It's quite significant considering that the News of the World is Britain's best selling Sunday newspaper and the then editor is a major ally of the Prime Minister.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2011, 06:06:27 pm »

Hmmm the news that she lied is a big blow for the accusation but last time I heard of it, the trial isn't over yet.
DSK will still have to justify that the intercourse was consensual. Or the hostel company will have to explain why his maid provide "extra services".

As long as all is not elucidated, nothing is. And DSK have another trial awaiting him in France. For another rape affair.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2011, 06:16:02 pm »

Luckily, I was typing up a giant OP for exactly what y'all were talking about.  How fortuitous.

Now that this is even slightly under debate, it means that rape cases in general are going to be under even more debate.  If she's lying, I'm going to be very pissed.  If she's being set up by the media, I'm going to be amazingly pissed.  If she's being set up by DSK, I am going to be pissed to the point of explosion.

Oh, and I spent a few hours yesterday reading this.  That may have had something to do with it.

I'd hate to be ass by suggesting that yes, having your attitude colored by totally separate reading may have colored your attitude?  I don't understand why the possibility of someone lying for gain would make you less upset than the other possibility of being pressured to cover it up.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2011, 06:21:15 pm »

I'd hate to be ass by suggesting that yes, having your attitude colored by totally separate reading may have colored your attitude?  I don't understand why the possibility of someone lying for gain would make you less upset than the other possibility of being pressured to cover it up.

Obviously, that was a sarcastic "may."

Lying for gain and being pressured have the same result of discrediting rape victims--both bad.  Being pressured also has the result of an actual victim extra being swept under the covers by someone more powerful.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2011, 06:24:16 pm »

Lying for gain and being pressured have the same result of discrediting rape victims--both bad.  Being pressured also has the result of an actual victim extra being swept under the covers by someone more powerful.

Fair enough, since that would be injustice on top of injustice.

I just think this thread could use a little more genuine skepticism, given that there has yet been no evidence to back up the maid's claims - I've been waiting to see security footage of the hallway myself,  since she claimed she ran out of the room - and quite a bit of evidence that she doesn't appear to be the most trustworthy accuser.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]