Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: IMF head arrested in NYC  (Read 4835 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
IMF head arrested in NYC
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:41:56 pm »

The head of the International Monetary Fund, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, was arrested in New York on Saturday and accused of a sexual attack on a hotel maid, The New York Times reported

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/14/us-strausskahn-arrest-idUSTRE74D29F20110514

whoah
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: IMF head arrested in NYC
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:53:17 pm »

They say that he was planning to run for president of France.  You can't get anywhere in French politics without a sex scandal or two.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:58:30 pm »

A rich and powerful guy did somthing malicious to another human being? Wow, I am just shocked. Well, time to see what strategy this one takes to avoid all consequences and go on like he never tried to rape someone.

Before anyone takes objection to my stance on how this will turn out, you all remember that Michael Vick guy, right? The one who tortured dogs partly for money but mostly for his own sick amusement? Man, it sure is an example of justice that he went to prison for a long ti- Oh wait, he's already free and back in his former career position. And no one seems to see anything wrong with that.

Anyway, time to watch justice fail again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:18:55 pm »

Rape is the best one for celebrities to get charged with, because everyone immediately says "Augh, she just wants his money"

Or my favorite, "augh, the government just wants an excuse to arrest him"

:|
Shoes...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:28:28 pm »

This could potentially really suck.  The IMF has been one of the least head-up-it's-ass major macro-economic bodies regarding the global recession.  In particular I'm concerned because IIRC this position is traditionally occupied by a European and most influential European monetary policy makers beside this guy who speak out on the recession say less then useful things.  Worst case scenario, we could end up with a real jackass running the IMF who decides to go back to the previous policy of "punish the bastards" and we have a few basket case governments go under because the new head takes a more hardline view and screws them over.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 02:18:44 am »

"augh, the government just wants an excuse to arrest him"

:|
Indeed, if the government wanted to get rid of him so badly he'd have had died under mysterious circumstances.
Hello Hunam

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 05:39:55 am »

A rich and powerful guy did somthing malicious to another human being? Wow, I am just shocked. Well, time to see what strategy this one takes to avoid all consequences and go on like he never tried to rape someone.
I think this is a bit unfair - we can't just assume the guy is guilty based on a newspaper article saying that he was accused of an attack.

If he is guilty, though... well, it does seem pretty likely he'll get away with it, I guess.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 05:50:08 am »

Do we not like this guy then, for some reason that I missed? Because although I concede that the rich and powerful have proven to be more then capable of being immoral, I don't see why we are implying that he is more likely to be guilty, when we would give a poorer man a better chance. Unless we have a reason to not like him, and in that case, burn him in hell.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 06:04:15 am »

Also, sexual attack could also be that he tried to fondle her breast while drunk. Don't see evil everywhere guys.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 06:13:42 am »

I'm just going to come in, quietly remind you to think carefully about what you have to say, and leave.

Bedtime for Vector.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 07:46:48 am »

What he is accused to is plain rape. The police report that the victim had been treated for light wounds.
A weird story, tough :  a major economist, head of the IMF and favorite for the French presidential election would have freaked out and tried to rape a maid while he was going out of his shower.

Just... weird. Well he was under a lot of pressure and weired things have happened, but I'd gladly see the results of the inquiry.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 08:03:56 am »

Do we not like this guy then, for some reason that I missed? Because although I concede that the rich and powerful have proven to be more then capable of being immoral, I don't see why we are implying that he is more likely to be guilty, when we would give a poorer man a better chance. Unless we have a reason to not like him, and in that case, burn him in hell.
They're saying he's more likely to get away with it, not that he's more likely to have done it than somebody poorer/less powerful.
Love, scriver~

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 10:05:54 am »

Also, sexual attack could also be that he tried to fondle her breast while drunk. Don't see evil everywhere guys.
I'm not sure this is really a defense? I mean, sure, it's not as bad as raping her, but that... isn't saying much. There are lots of things that are better than rape. It's not like alcohol is a magic "I'm not responsible for my actions" elixir, either.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 10:17:30 am »

I was only saying that because other people were saying he was accused of raping.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 11:13:30 am »

Fun hypothetical time!

Let's suppose for a second that he forcibly raped the woman.  Also suppose that his influence at the IMF keeps governments from being forced into bankruptcy by hawkish monetary policy.  How about hypothetically if he walks, Greece doesn't default if he is found guilty, Greece goes under.

Given that hypothetical, he is guilty but him being found so would result in a Greek default, would you want him to be found guilty?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7