Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: IMF head arrested in NYC  (Read 4838 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: IMF head arrested in NYC
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2011, 01:48:36 pm »

This is such a fucked up case. I mean, now it sounds like she made it up, but then, from where did she get all the injuries? Cause them to herself? I'm not ready to believe that either. I haven't read any direct transcripts of what she said, either, but what I read was formulated like she said she was going to make money on it, but not that it didn't happen.

Like Nadaka said - it doesn't take much to put the blame on a rape victim, people are incredibly fast to not believe their stories. I don't even know if these phone-sayings are for real.

I need to read up some more on this.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2011, 01:49:34 pm »

We should applaud this girl for having the bravery to step up to the police and protect herself from predators like DSK instead of treating her as a criminal and a gold-digger.
You are still assuming her innocence. That might have been reasonable beforewe found out that she called someone in jail and literally said that she was going to "cash in" on this case, but now that isn't all that reasonable anymore. You could at least be a little skeptical of her claims at this point.
Call or not, the case hasn't been through court yet so as of yet we still have to assume she's the victim (especially since, you know, she was quite obviously raped). Plus, her boyfriend could be in jail and she called him to inform him she's going to try to get monetary justice for what was done to her. Immediately assuming she's a lier trying to cheat justice is a bit harsh, don't you think?
I'm not assuming anything about her. I'm not assuming she's a liar, but I'm not assuming she was raped, either. She could be telling the truth and being pragmatic, and she could be lying to extort money from a politician. I'm not making any specific judgements just yet in the case, but I am calling you out for having already made the judgement that she's innocent when it is entirely possible that she isn't. I was much closer to making some judgements about this case before, but with the recent information we have been given I am back to square one skepticism on this matter.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 01:55:09 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2011, 01:54:44 pm »

Quote from: Vector
I'm... really disappointed.
Considering how many things there are to be disappointed about here, I'm interested in which bit, exactly, you are disappointed in.

Now that this is even slightly under debate, it means that rape cases in general are going to be under even more debate.  If she's lying, I'm going to be very pissed.  If she's being set up by the media, I'm going to be amazingly pissed.  If she's being set up by DSK, I am going to be pissed to the point of explosion.

Oh, and I spent a few hours yesterday reading this.  That may have had something to do with it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2011, 02:01:22 pm »

Anyways, probably the definitive statement on the subject at the moment:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/07/01/nyregion/20110701-Strauss-Kahn-letter.html?ref=nyregion

Make of it what you will.

I think the fact that she admitted to lying about her description of events is probably the biggest point against here here. Considering her position, the false background makes sense, though, and sticking to it may just have been really poor judgement on her part. Lying about the details of the actual crime is a bit more problematic.

Vector:
Ah, in that case, I think we're on the same page. Doesn't seem like there is any possible non-piss inducing outcome to this case at this point, honestly.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2011, 02:04:40 pm »

Well, from the letter it seems to me that she lied about the case because if she told what really happened, then the first reply she'd have gotten at the police station would've been "Well, if you could clean a room afterwards, it couldn't have been much of a rape now could it" and subsequently get a bill for wasting a police officer's time instead of the legal help she needed.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2011, 02:06:33 pm »

... Yup, still thinking the victim was actually a victim.

Still thinking we need to do something about our fucked-up immigration laws.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2011, 02:09:30 pm »

After rereading that letter, I'm just wondering who "had a little chat with her about her confession." This case stinks of intimidation.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2011, 02:12:03 pm »

I can't make my head up. I really can't.

I don't think, regardless of what the "truth" and/or verdict turns out to be, that I'm ever going to believe that's what happened. Go Go Captain Contrarian.
Love, scriver~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2011, 02:20:37 pm »

Yeah, I don't know the details though, but the media reports I've seen definitely made it sound more damning than the letter there did.

I can understand why it would make a case difficult (Her being someone who's apparently quite willing to lie for potential financial gain, and who conversed with others about the possible financial gain from this allegation), but it definitely doesn't shed any light on what actually happened, and her being a victim still seems most likely.

But likely isn't true, and it this point there's no real way for us to know.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2011, 02:29:14 pm »

I feel like the allegations that she was a prostitute have been the worst so far... there doesn't seem to be any evidence to back it up, and it seems to imply that it isn't possible to rape a prostitute.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2011, 02:29:57 pm »

Luckily for my sanity, I haven't stumbled across any of those.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2011, 02:30:54 pm »

I did.

Doesnt4 surprise me too much, I suspected 3that as a distinct posibility. My personal hypothesis is that he hired her as a hookeryet refused to pay, or she t4ried to charge more, or somesuch

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2011, 02:54:25 pm »

I thought he meant in the media. I've heard a lot worse than that if we just go by random forum comments.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2011, 03:14:57 pm »

The NY Post appears to have removed it from their website now, but they did have an uh... pretty damning headline.

http://cdn.theatlanticwire.com/img/upload/2011/07/02/front070211.jpeg

(This image doesn't appear to be fake - many newspapers have reported the headline, even if the NY Post itself seems to be trying to remove all evidence of it)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2011, 05:10:08 pm »

Ok, wow, that's pretty terrible. Is the New York Post some sort of Tabloid now?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7