Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1195075 times)

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2985 on: November 23, 2011, 07:59:12 am »

Do vampires, when disguised, still transform others? Say, would Vampire X, who claims to be C, and gets a cut, when D drinks X's blood, would it track it as if it belonged to X or C? Would you be able to tell a vampire if it bleeds by the name on the blood?
By my understanding: They aren't actually transforming, they're just assuming a role. The thing with teeth elongating while they feed is separate. Their physical properties remain unchanged, thus the blood still carries the appropriate properties to transform others.

But what Toady says is that the blood doesn't have any properties that makes it transform except that it is linked to the historical figure who happens to be a vampire. While they are disguised, if they bleed blood of the disguise, would it stop them from transforming others?
No. There are disguised ( http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/disguise ), not transformed into different creature.

Yes. But Toady has ALREADY SAID that if the vampire is not an important historical figure, and gets culled, the blood of it does not work. So will it, as it stands, display the blood as if it were from a vampire (and allow you to identify it) or as the disguisee and allow you to become a vampire or as the disguisee and not turn you into a vampire?
A chart would be useful here.
U = Blood labeled "Urist McTotallyNotAVampireHonest"
V = Blood labeled "Bloodletter the bloodguzzler of bleeding-veins"
(Obviously, Urist McTotallyNotAVampireHonest is the disguised form of our vampire)
T = Blood transforms others
N = Blood doesn't

X = True
- = False
? = What happens?
Code: [Select]
  U V
T ? X
N ? -

Further, which blood does he bleed when disguised as Urist? It'd blow his cover if he bled vampire blood, right?

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: November 23, 2011, 10:59:42 am »

Further, which blood does he bleed when disguised as Urist?

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood!

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: November 23, 2011, 11:12:28 am »

isnt the naming of blood handled in the way, that the blood gets internally linked to the person in question, so it gets the name the creature in question is displayed with? so the blood may be named ursist mctotalynotavampires blood but since urist mctotalynotavampire _is_ a vampire, it still transforms?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: November 23, 2011, 11:32:16 am »

Maybe it was already answered, but is spilled blood a hint in determining murders?
I understand the corpse can be hidden, if there were no witnesses?
Will other un-discovered items be invisible to Armok (me) in time? such as stuff in caves.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: November 23, 2011, 11:47:01 am »

I was doing some trading and craft making, and a thought occured to me:

Will the ability to make toy stuffed animals ever be implemented, and if so, what list would be used for this? Also, do dwarves make their stuffed animals just out of cloth and silk, or also leather and stone?

The idea of plush forgotten beasts amuses me.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: November 23, 2011, 11:58:09 am »

Will the ability to make toy stuffed animals ever be implemented, and if so, what list would be used for this? Also, do dwarves make their stuffed animals just out of cloth and silk, or also leather and stone?

Did those exist back then?

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: November 23, 2011, 12:30:17 pm »

That just made my day
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: November 23, 2011, 12:45:27 pm »

Do vampires, when disguised, still transform others? Say, would Vampire X, who claims to be C, and gets a cut, when D drinks X's blood, would it track it as if it belonged to X or C? Would you be able to tell a vampire if it bleeds by the name on the blood?
By my understanding: They aren't actually transforming, they're just assuming a role. The thing with teeth elongating while they feed is separate. Their physical properties remain unchanged, thus the blood still carries the appropriate properties to transform others.

But what Toady says is that the blood doesn't have any properties that makes it transform except that it is linked to the historical figure who happens to be a vampire. While they are disguised, if they bleed blood of the disguise, would it stop them from transforming others?
No. There are disguised ( http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/disguise ), not transformed into different creature.

Yes. But Toady has ALREADY SAID that if the vampire is not an important historical figure, and gets culled, the blood of it does not work. So will it, as it stands, display the blood as if it were from a vampire (and allow you to identify it) or as the disguisee and allow you to become a vampire or as the disguisee and not turn you into a vampire?

IIRC he also said that vampires for now were ALWAYS historical figures. But that raises a question : if a disguise is just another "displayed name", is the disguise name also an historical figure ? Can a disguise be culled while the vampire name stays known ? In other words, what happens if a vampire in disguise bleeds in worldgen, will the blood be called by the disguise name ? If so, what happens if the disguise name gets lost ?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: November 23, 2011, 01:55:11 pm »

Why mountain caves are placed only on the borders of mountains?
Presumably because the inner mountains are semi-off-limits.

We know that the disguised vampires retain their other abilities and just repress those that would betray them outside of combat (maybe they just repress their speed, maybe they use the creature definition to determine how they should act). Thus, it is most likely that all of the interaction effects apply, including the transformative abilities of their blood. Whether they actively transform dwarves in your fortress is an interesting question, but I suspect we'd have heard about that.

Apparently rag dolls existed as far back as 300BC. Not quite stuffed animals, but the idea has existed before the cut-off point.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: November 23, 2011, 03:34:44 pm »

Dwarven plushies would be stuffed with gravel (or just chunks of granite) however.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: November 23, 2011, 04:00:32 pm »

Dwarven plushies would be stuffed with gravel (or just chunks of granite) however.
Oh I dunno, glass and metal bars seem reasonable too.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: November 23, 2011, 05:52:44 pm »

Actually figurines of animals as well as many puppets made from various material including stones like alabaster where often cultic objects. Healing and Voodoo puppets come to mind but also little figurines that display shamanic animals or prehistoric idealisations like the various Venus figurines. It wouldnt be a big step towards stuffed animals although the trade-value of such things would be low as long you dont have Brand-name like "Steiff". Its just that you can make such an animalsfrom leftover cloth and some filling like wool or even straws.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: November 23, 2011, 05:59:50 pm »

Oh I dunno, glass and metal bars seem reasonable too.

And I'm sure they menace with spikes.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: November 23, 2011, 11:44:37 pm »

Exciting new devlog! If you like bridges, anyway.

I LOVE BRIDGES!

Are all bridges the same right now, or do they vary? Covered bridges, open bridges, so on and so forth.

I imagine fences instead of walls is going to wait on fences existing at all. I'm hoping to tour the bridges of Urist County.

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: November 24, 2011, 12:00:29 am »

Now that some crimes can be hidden, will it be possible to kill (accidentally of course) an entire caravan and not have the civilization know (and start war) as long as you left no survivors?
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 298