Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178932 times)

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #270 on: February 18, 2014, 11:15:34 pm »

the samurai groups that roam around are incredibly powerful. 30-40 in all their skills and the strongest armor in the game with decent weaponry, plus good numbers. The only issue is that they lack mobility due to how much that armor slows them... not that it matters much atm, bandits are very keen to throw themselves at them in this version, until most of them are dead and maybe 1-2 retreat. Still needs threat assessment.

The dead cat roams and merc roams both have lightly armored fighters with 20-30 skill. I'd say the very strongest groups you find are those guarding the free trader outposts, all are 40 skill, despite their light armor they can wreck most groups. Strongest single NPCs are the lone adventurers guild members you occasionally see around wearing rare armors and with 40-50 skill.

(This assuming at the start of a game. NPCs will grow stronger the more fights they survive. Unless they are bandits, in which case its more likely they will die in their first fight than anything because they dont carry medkits.)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:19:51 pm by Mattk50 »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 19, 2014, 12:39:22 am »

the samurai groups that roam around are incredibly powerful. 30-40 in all their skills and the strongest armor in the game with decent weaponry, plus good numbers. The only issue is that they lack mobility due to how much that armor slows them... not that it matters much atm, bandits are very keen to throw themselves at them in this version, until most of them are dead and maybe 1-2 retreat. Still needs threat assessment.

The dead cat roams and merc roams both have lightly armored fighters with 20-30 skill. I'd say the very strongest groups you find are those guarding the free trader outposts, all are 40 skill, despite their light armor they can wreck most groups. Strongest single NPCs are the lone adventurers guild members you occasionally see around wearing rare armors and with 40-50 skill.

(This assuming at the start of a game. NPCs will grow stronger the more fights they survive. Unless they are bandits, in which case its more likely they will die in their first fight than anything because they dont carry medkits.)
I wish dust bandit at least were carrying basic medkit tho, so they can heal up faster thus increasing the rate of attack maybe? I dont know the coding beind the attacks tho .
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 19, 2014, 09:13:33 am »

Still not sure if I should grab this yet...
My problems are that if I grab it now and its too unplayabe/unfinished it might get lost in the steam library and never played again when it gets better...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 19, 2014, 06:09:37 pm »

Still not sure if I should grab this yet...
My problems are that if I grab it now and its too unplayabe/unfinished it might get lost in the steam library and never played again when it gets better...
Well, in short... what you can do for end game is build a large high tech base and kill everyone in the world.
You can only control up to 20 people.

Early game is a challenge to survive, if you do not cheeze it by dragging enemies over to town as the 'default' way to deal with em.  I've had multiple times where my whole party have been knocked out and I'm telling the enemy to 'go away faster' so I can save those who are bleeding out.  I've managed to lose some people to that.  I've also risked it by having someone playing dead get up early and rush to heal 2-3 others before they go down hard.
This would be worse if the enemies were the Cannibals.

I wish dust bandit at least were carrying basic medkit tho, so they can heal up faster thus increasing the rate of attack maybe? I dont know the coding beind the attacks tho .
Nah, medkits will only be used when they all win a battle and have the time to heal.(You can set it so that they put some priority over healing, but using Cannibals as an example, they will end up prioritizing healing over fighting the enemy, so they'd get knocked out while not defending themselves, ending up in a never-ending rout.)
The developer actually slowed down the rate of attacks, because it was happening too frequently.  It can be modified so that attacks come in sooner though.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 08, 2014, 11:05:56 am »

I'm bumping this as I just saw this on Steam, I hope no-one minds.
Exactly how computer-intensive is the game? It looks like good fun, but I can't tell from the graphics if I'd be able to run it or not.
Games like Mount & Blade and Loadout work on my computer, for reference. There doesn't seem to be a demo available for Kenshi, which is how I usually test things before buying them. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 08, 2014, 11:12:55 am »

There doesn't seem to be a demo available for Kenshi, which is how I usually test things before buying them. :-\
I'm pretty sure there's a demo available from the official site (well, it links to indiedb for the actual download).

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 08, 2014, 11:15:14 am »

This is not a very demanding game in terms of PC hardware from what I can tell, also, as said, the demo.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 08, 2014, 11:26:03 am »

Oh, thanks! I'll try the demo, then.
Hopefully it works fine, I watched the trailers and this looks pretty dang cool.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 08, 2014, 11:29:11 am »

Has there been any optimization done? I picked up the demo a year or so ago, and while it ran it didn't run well. I did like the concept though, and picked it up on Steam during some sale or another, but I haven't tried installing it on this craptop because I remember how poorly it ran before. What's it like now?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 08, 2014, 11:41:36 am »

You own it so just try it. I have no clue what your laptop is like or how it will react to the current code.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 08, 2014, 12:12:12 pm »

I was hoping for an actual useful response to save on bandwidth, but fine. Tried it, got single-digit framerates, apparently my laptop can't handle it. Gonna file this under "try again with a better computer".

Any good LPs of this out there?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:31:09 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 08, 2014, 12:46:52 pm »

Damn, that demo didn't work for me. :-\
Kinda tempted to just buy the game anyway and hope like hell it works, but y'know, limited funds and all.
I guess if it didn't work, the outlay of money might just inspire me to finally get a better computer...

Sirus, if I get this and get it to work, I'll totally do an LP of it. :P
I'll even dorf some Bay 12ers, since that seems to be something you can do in the game.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 29, 2014, 10:11:24 pm »

I was hoping for an actual useful response to save on bandwidth, but fine. Tried it, got single-digit framerates, apparently my laptop can't handle it. Gonna file this under "try again with a better computer".

Any good LPs of this out there?

Try without Shadows if you haven't, they are very unoptimized. Got +30FPS by turning that off, and my PC is decent.

Anyone know why bodies keep teleporting into the sky when I pick them up? I can't turn in any Bandit Leaders to police, because by the time I haul them back to town they've disappeared. I was carrying an unconscious comrade earlier today and had to drop him to fight off attackers-- he ended up halfway across the map and had to run for days to get back to me.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 29, 2014, 10:28:56 pm »

Turning shadows off(or on minimum) always helps, no matter the game.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 29, 2014, 10:30:02 pm »

The teleporting should be fixed soon. I'm waiting for the next patch to get my chests back. They are unusable now.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 68