Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coal dammit! Where is it!  (Read 1396 times)

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coal dammit! Where is it!
« on: April 29, 2011, 07:46:52 am »

Welp, i gave up and ran prospector, it's official, their is NO bituminous coal on my embark, or the last embark, or purchasable from merchants... their is no coal on my entire planet!
Is this even meant to be possible or did my world gen just bug out?

Ascarona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coal dammit! Where is it!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 08:43:10 am »

This happens to me all the time, I don't even bother with coal anymore. Chop some trees down and burn the wood into charcoal or dig all the way down to the lava sea.
Be sure to relocate your main dining room in hell as well, and make the obvious joke about it.
It's just immoral to let elves leave the map without being robbed at least a little.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 09:16:03 am »

I've got loads. I'd sell you some but there is the problem of moving between dimensions :P

You have to go to sedimentary stone at embark. It's still a bit sketchy though, I agree. I haven't found a lot in other locations...More realistic I suppose. Can you request coal from the dwarven caravan?
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:28:59 am »

When I have requested both charcoal and coke from the Dwarven caravan, I got one of each.  Be still, my beating heart.   ::)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 09:36:47 am »

When I have requested both charcoal and coke from the Dwarven caravan, I got one of each.  Be still, my beating heart.   ::)
Tell them that you want to pay the maximum for these objects, and they should bring a few more of each.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 10:26:41 am »

I've got loads. I'd sell you some but there is the problem of moving between dimensions :P

You have to go to sedimentary stone at embark. It's still a bit sketchy though, I agree. I haven't found a lot in other locations...More realistic I suppose. Can you request coal from the dwarven caravan?
Would be great if we could see the layer type before embark... :(
Soaplent green is goblins!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 10:38:23 am »

Welp, i gave up and ran prospector, it's official, their is NO bituminous coal on my embark, or the last embark, or purchasable from merchants... their is no coal on my entire planet!
Let me guess - default mineral scarcity settings? Yeah, it's fully possible to not get any of ore X (coal is included in this) if your scarcity is at default. Lower it if you want to see it with some degree of consistency.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 10:56:14 am »

Well , you can make charcoal if you are not picky... Just deforest the area

zarokima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 02:24:52 pm »

Also wood is cheap from caravans. Those filthy hippies are useful for something other than wanton murder.
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into a ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 02:27:20 pm »

Also wood is cheap from caravans. Those filthy hippies are useful for something other than wanton murder.
Fixed.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 03:27:32 pm »

Buying coal from caravans? Isn't it cheaper to just buy wood and spend a couple minutes having the wood burner make charcoal?

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 06:31:47 pm »

Both are very cheap. And anyway, what else are you going to buy with those quarry bush leaf roasts?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 06:51:38 pm »

Let me guess - default mineral scarcity settings? Yeah, it's fully possible to not get any of ore X (coal is included in this) if your scarcity is at default. Lower it if you want to see it with some degree of consistency.

What value is good for a reasonable amount of metals and coal? I use frequent in the basic world gen and 1000 in the advanced one (which I'm just learning).
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 07:30:03 pm »

500-700 (I think I'm going with 500 at the moment).

Coal is still non-existent, unless I go chasing aquifers.  So I always embark where I have at least a fair amount of trees to harvest.