Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 567055 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #1305 on: October 29, 2011, 09:34:55 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:51:18 am by Ogdibus »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: October 29, 2011, 09:54:44 pm »

I'd love to make a mage in Elona but with how the game functions I've been avoiding it.

I already made the ultimate golem Warrior (I gene spliced a horse to give it more equipment. Honestly Golem riding an animal is almost broken... if the Golem wasn't dead if the animal is dead. Your training your animal for a long time)

Any suggestions on successful Magi?

HEH maybe I should try a Golem mage... that would take FOREVER but it is possible.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: October 29, 2011, 10:21:06 pm »

I'd love to make a mage in Elona but with how the game functions I've been avoiding it.

I already made the ultimate golem Warrior (I gene spliced a horse to give it more equipment. Honestly Golem riding an animal is almost broken... if the Golem wasn't dead if the animal is dead. Your training your animal for a long time)

HEH maybe I should try a Golem mage... that would take FOREVER but it is possible.

Anything with high control magic is a good mage, assuming it has spells.

You could tame a Spiral King, or make a high level npc (assuming that making a high level npc also grants it various skills), or use EloSnack to modify your pet.

EDIT: If you're talking about making your Player Character a mage, I'm not sure how to approach that. Puppy cave farming, plus learning control magic as soon as possible, then spamming magic on your pets to train your control magic?

It'll take a very long time to accomplish, is what I can say about that.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:22:50 pm by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: October 29, 2011, 10:39:18 pm »

Hmmm mages seem to have it bad compared to everyone else when it comes to building up.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: October 29, 2011, 10:55:14 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:59:57 am by Ogdibus »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: October 29, 2011, 10:59:19 pm »

That's the main reason I want to make a custom NPC wizard. There are a few things that magic does, that you would want to have, but most wizard types make terrible allies, and most people don't want the hassle of playing a wizard.

Does it have a pay off?

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: October 29, 2011, 11:32:51 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:00:06 am by Ogdibus »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: October 29, 2011, 11:36:36 pm »

Is a magi PC have a payoff for all the effort?

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: October 29, 2011, 11:37:31 pm »

Is it worth it? Honestly, most everything a wiz can do, can be accomplished through rods/scrolls/pots quicker and easier. But going the wizard route is a good deal more challenging, and I think it's pretty fun. I have made several posts further back in the thread with general wizard tips in them if you want them.

My hero spell is actually a bit stronger than a hero potion, but it is also lvl 20+. I figure my spells will surpass scrolls around the same time, at the 20+ range. As for anything you can cast with rods, the rods are going to generally beat your spell, unless you completely neglect the magic device skill. To get good with rods, only requires the 1 skill. For actual casting, you need a whole mess of skills, and they dump loads of xp on you fast. Definately make sure you get a few disturb growth items.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: October 30, 2011, 12:08:48 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:00:15 am by Ogdibus »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: October 30, 2011, 01:10:06 am »

The problem with mages is spell stock basically. As long as you can deal with the nuisance that is gathering books its good, although an alternative manner of attack would be good for the times you dont want to waste spells.
So either items or being a warmage i guess.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: October 30, 2011, 01:15:11 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:00:24 am by Ogdibus »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: October 30, 2011, 01:28:07 am »

Mentionning magic, my current ongoing character is a warrior level 11

In the bunch of time he has slept on the "happy bed" obtained from a fountain wish (save scumming fountain really makes a difference in that game :D ) , he has now nearly 2 pages of spells that he got from dreams and ... that he can't use as they're only at 5% (and i'm not going to spen skill point in anything magic, too busy in focusing on other skills helping him to destroy things with his really great axe and carry things around).

I can't believe how fun Elona can be, it's been 16 gameplay  hour i am playing from time to time with this character and his followers and it's really fun.

Though there are some dungeon (random or not) quests that are really crazy hard despite the supposed difficulty level .

I found at some point a level 1 random dungeon , and the floor before the boss floor was the most hard i had encountered, my army of minion were always crushed in only few turns as there was a ton of spell casters/shooters in every rooms so i had to retreat every few turns to survive and resurrect them in town.
Took me a lot of time (and money due to the resurrection cost on the minions) to clean that floor this way. The boss floor was rather easy in comparison.

Now i am in a problem with my level 11 guy and his minions (most level 6 one being level 8 )
I found a mission in one of the towns (killing a Yeek leader) at some point that sounds easy on theory as the mission level is not very high (level 8 ) but i can't see how to proceed.

The Yeeks in themselves are not a problem, with my minions we have killed lots of them during all the dungeons exploration.

But the target of the mission seems to be unkillable by axe in the head or by machineguns, as it regenerates apparently quicker than we damage him (the best we did was getting him to roughly 50% of life but he ran away a few turns and got back nearly to full), and never stop to summon half a dozen yeeks by turn.

The major problem is that he summons a very lot of kamikaze yeeks, they explode the turn following massively damaging my minions each turns, so after some turns i'm always either alone if i didn't managed to reach a damaged follower to get him back to town, and even with my good protections and potions i have to retreat if i want to avoid losing tons of money by dying.

Anything i missed ?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:30:39 am by Robsoie »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: October 30, 2011, 02:07:10 am »

Edit:  I got around to this early.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nice spritework. Is there a translated version of the NPC building manual?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: October 30, 2011, 02:20:44 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:00:32 am by Ogdibus »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 291