Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Women In The Infantry  (Read 22874 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Women In The Infantry
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2011, 11:03:57 pm »

How many women are equal to men in terms of physical strength? If you were to conduct a study as to which is stronger the result may surprise you.
Let's say that a study reveals that people with black hair are, on average, stronger than people with blond hair.  Does it follow that you should only allow people with black hair into the army?

No because too few people have black hair. Think like a recruiter.

But.... But.....

Fifty percent of the population is Female

There are no words.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2011, 11:04:22 pm »

Because it would make the men feel bad?

... Yes, and that's an issue with entrenched sexism, where being equal to a woman is considered a negative  ::)  Whoo whoo.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2011, 11:05:54 pm »

I'm gonna keep attacking this point, since this answer worries me a lot.

Let's say that people with a smaller than average little toe are shown to be, on average, less strong than people with an average or larger little toe.  Let's say that 5% of people fall into this "less strong on average" group.  Does it follow that you should ban people with shorter little toes than average?

Let's say that people with the starsign "Gemini" are shown to be, on average, less strong than people with other star signs.  Does it follow you should exclude people with the Gemini starsign?

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2011, 11:06:52 pm »

But what about women who can carry 100 pounds without being slowed any more than the average male recruit? Maybe it's not a large number, I don't have the statistics on that, but what justification is there for forbidding them?

None. But I don't have this opinion because of just the physical aspect.

You can train men to kill, but you can't train them to neglect women.
That's how an Israeli general(?) put it.

How many women are equal to men in terms of physical strength? If you were to conduct a study as to which is stronger the result may surprise you.
Let's say that a study reveals that people with black hair are, on average, stronger than people with blond hair.  Does it follow that you should only allow people with black hair into the army?

But.... But.....

Fifty percent of the population is Female

There are no words.
It seems to me that you and I need to keep a distance. And Vector...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2011, 11:07:32 pm »

Let's say that people with a smaller than average little toe are shown to be, on average, less strong than people with an average or larger little toe.  Let's say that 5% of people fall into this "less strong on average" group.  Does it follow that you should ban people with shorter little toes than average?

Let's say that people with the starsign "Gemini" are shown to be, on average, less strong than people with other star signs.  Does it follow you should exclude people with the Gemini starsign?

Once again no if they are qualified.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2011, 11:07:44 pm »

Because it would make the men feel bad?

... Yes, and that's an issue with entrenched sexism, where being equal to a woman is considered a negative  ::)  Whoo whoo.
It is deeply entrenched in human history for inferiority of females, and people are not find of giving up their 'superiority'.
Hello Hunam

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2011, 11:08:06 pm »

In my opinion, the only reason women should be disallowed to serve is because if they're taken as POWs, they're more likely to have nasty things done to them - especially in certain male-dominant societies.

But that's a pretty freakin' small reason regardless, so.... it shouldn't matter?

A group of servicewomen have filed a lawsuit on the subject, which you can read here. (I warn you, the records of these events are some of the most enraging, horrific things I've ever encountered. You read this lawsuit at your own risk.)
The hell is this? I got to the second one down, realized that it was all going to be about the same stuff, and I AM NOW ANGRY GAH. There had better be some crap about this somewhere, that stuff is WRONG.

And you have no idea how hard it was to constrain myself to my little-to-no-swearing rule while writing this post.

And holy cow, 20 ninjas.

Pre-post-edit: STOP THE NINJAS FOR THE LOVE OF CRAP
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2011, 11:08:51 pm »

Pre-post-edit: STOP THE NINJAS FOR THE LOVE OF CRAP
No.
Hello Hunam

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2011, 11:10:03 pm »

This is now GD. This thread has all the posts. All of them.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2011, 11:10:36 pm »

The military isn't as strong as it should be in general. Men need to lift weights much more and women can't lift weights near as successfully as men. Being able to run far distances isn't fitness.
Are you saying that because I can only bench press 60 pounds, I am unfit? Because I have and will again run upwards of 20 miles at a stretch. I know at least one woman that has as well. Can you do that? How about running fast? Can you run a quarter of a mile in less than a minute? Because I can do that. I know of at least one woman that has done that. This isn't a large sample, either.

There are outliers for women just as there are for men. There are some women that are strong enough to carry a 100 pound pack wherever they want. There are some men (such as myself) that would die trying.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2011, 11:11:23 pm »

But what about women who can carry 100 pounds without being slowed any more than the average male recruit? Maybe it's not a large number, I don't have the statistics on that, but what justification is there for forbidding them?

None. But I don't have this ***opinion*** because of just the physical aspect.

That's how an Israeli general(?) put it.

Opinion Pointed out for a reason.

Also, Fuck soldier who dare to not Neglect their comrades.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2011, 11:11:28 pm »

Once again no if they are qualified.
So what is your issue?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2011, 11:11:41 pm »

You can train people to do anything. On both the subject of killing and neglecting women, sometimes you don't even need the training.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2011, 11:12:35 pm »

What do you call the behavior of the commanding officers in those rape cases?

If that isn't neglecting women, I never want to know what is.

You can train people to do anything. On both the subject of killing and neglecting women, sometimes you don't even need the training.

Also, thank you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2011, 11:13:11 pm »

The question Metal Slime Hunt is DO people want to even train soldiers to respect female soldiers?

They BARELY train them to respect females in general (actually quite the opposite assuming the standards have held up over the years.)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26