Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Women In The Infantry  (Read 22826 times)

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Women In The Infantry
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2011, 10:55:04 pm »

Women are equal to men, and in no way are they weaker. Men and Women are equal, and so, humans should be respected as such, not just men or ladies.

• Anabolic effects include growth of muscle mass and strength, increased bone density and strength, and stimulation of linear growth and bone maturation. - from Wiki
  • On average, men have a greater capacity for cardiovascular endurance. This is due to the enlargement of the lungs of boys during puberty, characterized by a more prominent chest.
  • On average, men are stronger than women. This is due to a greater capacity for muscular hypertrophy as a result of men's higher levels of testosterone. - from Wiki

That said, there is a lot of training and physical requirements for joining the infantry. My cousin has enlisted and she had to gain 20 pounds just to meet regulation. I think the only problems would be psychological, but hell, I've never been in combat.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2011, 10:55:36 pm »

And women aren't at risk in non-combat jobs while in enemy countries?

And Men are safe?

How many women are equal to men in terms of physical strength? If you were to conduct a study as to which is stronger the result may surprise you.

How many are capable of reaching the level of Men if they so chose?

A Whole lot more then one.

The military isn't as strong as it should be in general. Men need to lift weights much more and women can't lift weights near as successfully as men. Being able to run far distances isn't fitness.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2011, 10:55:52 pm »

Now I am also of the belief that women are indeed the weaker sex and are to be both treated and respected as such.

Am I?  Now, whatever gave you that opinion?
Urist you are treading a fine line now. Women are equal to men, and in no way are they weaker. Men and Women are equal, and so, humans should be respected as such, not just men or ladies.

Now, this is a dangerous course of reasoning to take. Urist should be perfectly willing to give his beliefs without condemnation from the board, even if it goes against our own popular take on the issue.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2011, 10:56:13 pm »

And women aren't at risk in non-combat jobs while in enemy countries?

No they are not not at risk, but no more so then anyone else is.

Now I am also of the belief that women are indeed the weaker sex and are to be both treated and respected as such.

Am I?  Now, whatever gave you that opinion?
Urist you are treading a fine line now. Women are equal to men, and in no way are they weaker. Men and Women are equal, and so, humans should be respected as such, not just men or ladies.

You guys do know that he was talking about physical differences right? I don't care how much you love equality, you can not say there is no differences.

I mean seriously here, don't make me agree with him.

And yeah, women can reach the same strength as men, so thats an invalid argument.

No, that is simply not true. This is the fucking army here, most people are in top shape, which means most women will be below the average.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2011, 10:57:08 pm »

The military isn't as strong as it should be in general. Men need to lift weights much more and women can't lift weights near as successfully as men. Being able to run far distances isn't fitness.
The Military is not all about Punching Arabs in the face with your manly eagle fists.

Why should it be stronger, outside of your opinion?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2011, 10:57:19 pm »

If women are to serve, how many do you think could keep up with the men? How many do you think would be able to pass special forces training such as the Navy SEALs program or the Green Berets? How many Muslim extremists will surrender to women? How many women will be targeted by snipers because they know that men will come racing toward the injured woman?

I think the ones that can keep up the men and can pass the training should be allowed to serve. Last time I checked, you didn't use a penis to load a gun, so I'm not sure why it's a necessary prerequisite. I understand the argument about women being physically weaker, etc, on average. And yeah, that's true, fine. But it's not true of every woman. Why should every woman be judged by that? There's already a filter to keep out of the military people who aren't capable of doing the physical work necessary for service. It's called the training. You don't need a gender filter on top of that. I have my doubts that even most women would be unable to keep up, and I've met enough women who could kick my ass to suggest that gender is not sufficient information for judging a person's physical ability.

Yes, if women aren't as physically capable as men, there won't be as many that actually finish the training. Fine, the ratio won't be 1:1, but that's fine. Let the actual work determine who can do it. Not what they've got between their legs.

As for the behavior of the men; maybe that's true. Maybe the men's behavior is something the men should be dealing with, too. I know that's a lot easier said than done. I'm not sure how one would go about accomplishing it. But it does need to get done.

HOLY BALLS 21 REPLIES
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2011, 10:58:23 pm »

HOLY BALLS 21 REPLIES

I know man. Whats with that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2011, 10:58:43 pm »

Alright but we arn't dealing with puny everyday women (or puny everyday men) who need to Karate chop dictators.

Nor are we dealing with special forces.

Couldn't we just at worst just put all women in their own platoons?

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2011, 10:59:24 pm »

That's what I was taught. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule.

And I had a feeling this would lead to me becoming even less popular.

Your feeling was right.

Now, if there are exceptions to this rule, did you ever think that perhaps that very rule was creating the rule, and that being treated as weaker and/or lesser makes weaker and lesser individuals?

How many women are equal to men in terms of physical strength? If you were to conduct a study as to which is stronger the result may surprise you.

*shrug*

Physical strength matters less and less nowadays, dude.  For serious.

And more and more in the military. Infantry Marines carry on average one hundred pounds of equipment. Now I can't stop women in other parts of the military and will no longer argue about that but its just a real bad move to allow them in infantry.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2011, 11:00:13 pm »

Let's say that a study reveals that people with black hair are, on average, stronger than people with blond hair.  Does it follow that you should only allow people with black hair into the army?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2011, 11:01:02 pm »

Do you have any objections to women in the Marines if they can Carry what is required of them?

If not, this debate is pointless drivel.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2011, 11:01:15 pm »

I am sure there are women who could carry that equipment. Lets let them into infantrymen.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2011, 11:01:20 pm »

But what about women who can carry 100 pounds without being slowed any more than the average male recruit? Maybe it's not a large number, I don't have the statistics on that, but what justification is there for forbidding them?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2011, 11:02:40 pm »

But what about women who can carry 100 pounds without being slowed any more than the average male recruit? Maybe it's not a large number, I don't have the statistics on that, but what justification is there for forbidding them?

Because it would make the men feel bad?

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2011, 11:02:50 pm »

Do you have any objections to women in the Marines if they can Carry what is required of them?

If not, this debate is pointless drivel.

Of course not. I know when I've lost.

Let's say that a study reveals that people with black hair are, on average, stronger than people with blond hair.  Does it follow that you should only allow people with black hair into the army?

No because too few people have black hair. Think like a recruiter.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26