Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The perfect spot  (Read 16909 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: The perfect spot
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2011, 11:38:08 pm »

There is only cheating in DF if you've agreed to follow some rules...

This. Without agreed rules, there is no cheating. Just more fun, or less !!FUN!!.
Never pet a burning dog.

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2011, 04:17:37 am »

You ever put seasonal autosave on? With your machine running 130fps, how could you lose hours of gameplay?

Nope, no autosave at all, because sometimes i decide myself to kill the game due to an infortunate cycle of events...  ;D

A great alternative is to start with a "drill sergeant" type dwarf with good teacher/military skill.

Also, build an arena. Basically build a bunch of cage traps, trap entire sieges, disarm their weapons, load them into a stockpile with small channel holes above your arena. Station dwarves in arena, lock off arena, pit siegers, slay siegers slowly and painfully using wooden weapons, clean up the mess.

Bloodsport is great training. Arenas need great management.

Streamline the process so you can do it in as few commands as possible. So dwarfy. I love it.

Yes, i am starting with a good student/teacher dwarf but he is dead a looong time ago in mysterious circumstances ^^

The arena thing seems se dwarfy i'm gonna try it ASAP. I was too tired to link every single cage to a lever to release the unarmed goblins, and was looking for a way to do it quicker ! What about the benches for spectator ? Do dwarves enjoy assisting to a slaughter, or only participating to it ?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2011, 09:12:59 am »

There is only cheating in DF if you've agreed to follow some rules, as for a competition or in a community fortress.   :)

One of my original seven is in the hospital after an attack by a werewolf.  He is a miner and so was able to kill the beast.  He seems to be stuck at the step of getting a diagnosis, but at least my Chief Medical Dwarf is getting lots of skill in diagnoses.

While this was stalled because someone else had posted and I didn't realize it hadn't gone through, my wounded Dwarf finally got out of bed and started walking around as usual.  He's still infected, with a torn artery and nerve damage, but he's showing no pain and moving normally.  Weird.

Just wait til the next full moon, he should heal right up... wouldn't that be cool.

LOL, yes.  That would be cool, and I'm not even someone who usually revels in FUN.  I think it's because I had a fantastic day once, playing a wereboar in Daggerfall.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2011, 01:00:46 pm »

I used this world to make a fort... less than a year in and I just got a fell mood... and a dwarf bone grate. >.>

It wasn't my fault the other miner decided to refuse to come up to the surface to eat until he was about to die! I KNOW he could get back up there, the other miner was doing so...

Fell mood starts --> traders arrive --> immigrant gets murdered.

Welcome to Skulldeeps.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

alcohol_dependent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2011, 08:36:45 pm »

I was too tired to link every single cage to a lever to release the unarmed goblins, and was looking for a way to do it quicker ! What about the benches for spectator ? Do dwarves enjoy assisting to a slaughter, or only participating to it ?

Only participating I think.

Oh yeah. Bonus points if your arena spectator area is a dining hall.

Yeah the pit thing works really well.

Set it up like this:

Code: [Select]
=========
=.==.==.=
=========

Where = is animal stockpile and . is channeled square.

Then designate the entire thing as a pit.

Each channeled square can host 8 goblins 1 tile away.  With the above setup you can load 24 goblins into an arena in seconds. That's with just 3 channeled tiles too.

Whenever you want to pit the goblins, press i, P, select all goblins, voila. Dwarves will dump them in the pit and into the arena below with insane speed.

Make sure you work out how youre gonna clean it up after. The refuse tends to pile high.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2011, 02:26:36 pm »

This is a good find. Might use it for my next fort, once I get bored of the current one. :)

krescent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, 01:09:00 am »

why won't my dfprospector list the flux stone, among others?

my list is much shorter than yours...

and I can't find any marble!

krescent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2011, 01:48:13 am »

nevermind, found out where all the dolomite is :)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2011, 02:44:38 am »

There's an option you have to use to see layer stones.  -l or something like that?  I can never remember for some reason.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

toasteur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2011, 04:06:22 am »

is it possible to farm "above ground" plants on this map? on the wiki it says it doesn't work on mountain biome, but several of the 5 biomes have a "little soil" options, so should it be sufficent to grow surface stuffs at some particular points of the map??

mimmfantry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2011, 01:03:00 pm »

is it possible to farm "above ground" plants on this map? on the wiki it says it doesn't work on mountain biome, but several of the 5 biomes have a "little soil" options, so should it be sufficent to grow surface stuffs at some particular points of the map??

Ish, What i did was dig out underground in the bottom right corner and then open up to the sky allowing me to grow the "outdoor plants" I have a row right next to it thats pure underground so i can grow anything i want in my farms

toasteur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2011, 02:27:35 pm »

Ish, What i did was dig out underground in the bottom right corner and then open up to the sky allowing me to grow the "outdoor plants" I have a row right next to it thats pure underground so i can grow anything i want in my farms

thanks, i'll try that.

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2011, 03:41:26 pm »

There's an option you have to use to see layer stones.  -l or something like that?  I can never remember for some reason.

It's dfprospector.exe -b OR dfprospector.exe -l

There is a lot of limestone on the south-west corner of the map ;) Enough to make every single door, chair or table out of it !

Dragonfel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2011, 07:42:17 pm »

Fantastic site, my only issue is that when I loaded it up it wasn't using my phoebus graphics set for stones. Is there some way to fix this? I replaced the graphics file in the Region 1 folder with a phoebus one, but that only fixed some of the textures.

toasteur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2011, 06:45:30 am »

Fantastic site, my only issue is that when I loaded it up it wasn't using my phoebus graphics set for stones. Is there some way to fix this? I replaced the graphics file in the Region 1 folder with a phoebus one, but that only fixed some of the textures.

you should use LNP to switch easily and automatically to new textures, among others things:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5