Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The perfect spot  (Read 16907 times)

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The perfect spot
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 07:09:53 pm »

Amazing. Now how do I remove that tileset?

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 01:18:17 am »

Could we get a seed?

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 05:08:47 am »

OK. SO I really enjoyed the original Dwarf Heaven map because it had everything in it. So I grabbed this seed and threw it into my LNP which is version 31.21. I normally dont have a ton of luck with pre-seeded or pre-genned worlds looking anything like they are supposed to so I was pleased with myself for the work gen turning out pretty much how it is supposed to, and finding the 5x5 embark pretty much as stated.

Until I start to play. Now my PC isnt a sloth but it took way longer to load than normal. I thought, its 5x5 so give it a little time. Finally it loaded and I'm scouting around the map. It doesnt look exactly how it is supposed to - there's half dead trees, a big frozen section but the brook is there and so is the magma pipe.

And so is the greatest f'd up looking mountain in history. It is seriously like someone reached into the ground while it was still forming and wrenched out a HUGE glob of the world and stretched it up as high as they could go. Its like a cavern erupted and shot its guts ONE THOUSAND Z LEVELS into the sky. There's probably two screens worth of vaguely square mountain but with what looks like tiny caves, or something, but when I got to the top ( was determined to get to the top! ) there's fungiwood and other cavernous plants. The top is at z1172. I'm still waiting for my pc to un-pause. I doubt it ever will. If someone can talk me through how to save a screenshot, I have one of the top level.

EDIT- ok. Think i found it. Apologies if I do this wrong,

http://img.ie/97002.jpg

http://img.ie/7847c.jpg
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:19:07 am by gordy »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 08:32:07 am »

Could we get a seed?
I gave the seed in a post above.  I got it by downloading his save and opening it in Legends.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 08:44:18 am »

Ugh, looks like worldgen screwed up there, just a wee bit.  That's definitely a cave floor, with cave fungus, 1142 z-levels in the air.

It happens, and theres not much you can do about it.  This map is screwed.  Try generating it again, and if not, it simply won't work.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 01:08:52 pm »

The reason I asked was that I could not reproduce the same exact map. But thanks slink  ;D

Veetor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 01:46:09 pm »

Whoa, it does looks beautiful, may I ask how to take a screenshot from the map zoomed out?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 03:16:16 pm »

The reason I asked was that I could not reproduce the same exact map. But thanks slink  ;D

Using the seed that I got from his save, I generated my own copy in 31.25 and found the site exactly where he indicated it would be.  The jpgs of the entire world show very slight differences, but the overall geography, including biomes, is the same.  I did change one line, not to cull historical figures.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 05:40:53 am »

Whoa, it does looks beautiful, may I ask how to take a screenshot from the map zoomed out?

I zoomed out with the mouse wheel, and then i had to take 2 screenshots to cover the entire map. Then i merged them into one jpg using an image editor software.

VeriDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 12:56:11 pm »

It looks pretty awesome. I'm playing on it, but I changed the parameters a lil bit. 4x5. Not bad at all. Thank you. :)

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 06:52:38 pm »

What graphics mod did you use? I always run straight ASCII, and the characters for ores and gems in this embark are... odd. (Plus it was hard to find the place, but I eventually matched the rivers up and was able to find it.) This might be a good time for me to start trying out a graphic tileset, but I'd like to make sure it matches yours.

I also figured this was a good spot to try that new Reynaud macro; the complex fits nicely up against the volcano.

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 04:12:31 am »

What graphics mod did you use?

Hey !

I used the mayday tileset included in Lazy Newb Pack 31.25 - 9.0. With this nice tool, you can switch your savegames from one tileset to an other. Using the seed provided in the bottom of the first topic page, you should be able to generate the same world on your own if you have trouble adapting the savegame to the new mayday tileset.

VeriDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 04:23:29 pm »

Two in-game years have passed and still no ambush. When are they supposed to come?

PD - Only two snatchers (caged snatchers now) tried to enter :( I thought it would be lot more difficult than normal maps.

Lord_Alorand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 05:43:19 pm »

Edit 2: I think I will try starting a new thread.
Ok.
I finaly decided to use this map for my first ever game of DF.
I have been reading through tutorials, installing mods (Tileset, therapist and runesmith) and I swear I read close to half the articles on the wiki. (and even started thinking about writing one  :P and then realized *I haven't played the game yet!* ::) )

Now I would like to ask for a little bit of your help with helping me spend those embark points in the most optimal way so that I could finally strike the earth and not have altogether too much !!FUN!!

I will post what I have so far in a few minutes unless everyone would prefer that I start a new thread.

Edit 1:
Oh I should mention that I plan to start with 11 starting dwarves at embark, since I want to try many different industries from the get go, and I think that with Terrifying mountains I better bring some military presence with.

Ok, I find that the simplest way for me to think about spending embark points is to create packages that I think about the benefits of separately and then prioritize from most to least important.

a. Bought all 44 varieties of meat for sale at 2 for starting food and the barrels. [88] spent
b. Got 21 of every Alcohol for sale to last me until agriculture kicks in. [168]
c. Training Axe to chop wood. [17] should I buy 2?
d. Copper Pick [44] - I plan to make DIY steel picks and axes but I thought one pick to start digging while I craft might be good.
e. 2 cats as vermin defense (catsplosion here I come), 2 dogs for breading for war/hunting [54] should I get more female dogs?
f. Anvil [100]
g. 50-70 points per dwarf to max out skills * 11 dwarves = [770] set aside for now until I figure out what I need for skills.
Most of these are for sure things I plan to grab.
So thats [259] left. Any suggestions on where to go from here?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:20:12 pm by Lord_Alorand »

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 08:04:32 pm »

THIS IS FREAKING INSANE!!!! I JUST SCREWED UP A FORT I WAS WORKING ON, SO I'M DEFENITELY GOING TO TRY THIS OUT!!!

The one drawback I found was that it had different graphics set than the standard, which is my favorite... just because. I keep having to use k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k etc.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:49:42 pm by Edosurist »
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5