Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The perfect spot  (Read 16915 times)

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The perfect spot
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2011, 08:15:38 pm »

We need to start the first DWARVEN PRIZE awards. (after the Nobel Prize, duh) Lots of people have said this (and to the extent of my knowledge, including looking it up there is none), but I REALLY think we need to start the DP awards. If this possible new movement gets enough support, how would we go about this?

please let me know if there is already something going on, lol
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 01:41:11 am »

It would be lovely if dfprospector would organize its output someday, but until then, here's the sorted version of that output for anyone else who wants to see it.

The upshot of this all is that you have everything one could want except for bismuth, platinum, aluminum, nickel, gypsum & some type of coal, which is pretty dang awesome, all things considered.  Those things are usually rather easy to import in reasonable quantities (assuming the civ has access to them?) and the easy magma makes the lack of coal or lignite no big deal.

Metals
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stones:

Gems:
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 02:22:56 am »

So does anyone else think this would be the perfect place to build a fort designed purely for attacking a demonic fortress, securing it, taking the adamantine weapon, and then defeating the horde of demons that emerge?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 06:43:30 am »

It would be lovely if dfprospector would organize its output someday, but until then, here's the sorted version of that output for anyone else who wants to see it.

DFProspector organizes its output based on the quantity of material found in the embark.

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 12:15:40 pm »

Hey ! A lot of people seems interested in this map, i'm glad if i have helped some of you to find a nice spot !

14 years playing on it, i can say it is not perfect, but still, it is a very good one :) I was looking for a little more challenge, so having the perfect map in material exhaustivity would make it not perfect for me ^^ (not sure if i am clear here).

The upshot of this all is that you have everything one could want except for bismuth, platinum, aluminum, nickel, gypsum & some type of coal, which is pretty dang awesome, all things considered.  Those things are usually rather easy to import in reasonable quantities (assuming the civ has access to them?) and the easy magma makes the lack of coal or lignite no big deal.

+1000 :)

My civ is "The Crazy Works", and i ask them to bring nickel, platinum, silver, aluminium and light-red-blocks (for my hospital cross) and they bring me ore/bar/blocks every year.

I'm lacking nickel (my noble demands are about it) & silver (warhammers), and the other materials are mainly for high-value purposes. One of my objectives is to manage to create a platinum-warhammer-artifact as it is better than silver for thoses. Currently having to trade for them is not really hard, but is adds some challenge, which is exactly what i was looking for with this map. You have to secure the trading liaison year over year to get the benefits of your past trades.

I don't know if it is good or not to have everything else, compared with more classical DF maps. If you say it is quite awesome, i believe you :)
I know it is lacking diamonds too, but i don't really care as there is already plenty of high value gems here. But not having the highest-value gems may be a drawback ?

Two in-game years have passed and still no ambush. When are they supposed to come?

PD - Only two snatchers (caged snatchers now) tried to enter :( I thought it would be lot more difficult than normal maps.

I guess you're lucky then, because in my fort, after one or two years, the hills are ALWAYS infested with goblins, and every single trade caravan get slaughtered in a couple of minutes after their arrival (i've locked my dwarves in). I need at least half-a-dozen well trained military dwarves + a few marksdwarves to ensure the security of the surroundings, as i can be embushed by 4 to 5 goblin squads at once.

I'm only opening the doors to let the dwarf caravan and outpost liaison in (even if this little guy get killed from time to time).

I havent been sieged right now, but as my military is very weak and i did never really managed to kill the goblin invaders, it is maybe normal. On the other hand, i have only seen one snatcher in 14 years of game in this map ! I'm running at 130FPS so the years are passing very quickly, and i spend a lot of my time watching them doing stuff ;)

I have done something like 4 or 5 well running fortresses before, and finally get bored because of the lack of challenge once the first squads got well trained. Here i have already lost a lot of military dwarves, and it is the first time i am still locked-in most of the year-time after 14 years of play ! Ok, i focused mainly on production and organization, and not on military, but i just never had to build that much coffins before ^^

I would say : create value and wait one or two more years, and it should do it ! (i hope)

Now, my question is : when will i really see very dangerous creatures related to the evil biomes ? When i will be able to deal with goblin ambush easily ? Need more created value ? They are in the caverns ? I am not often out, but i am seeing a lot of dark gnomes and goblins for now, and i must admit i was expecting a little more.

More feedback next time. I'm interested in yours, too !
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 12:19:44 pm by Poch »

mimmfantry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2011, 01:39:07 pm »

Well I havent had your good luck with the map, halfway through the first springs a werewolf came through my fortress before I could even get a bridge up to block off and seal myself up inside. He ripped apart all 7 of my starting dwarves and I unzipped the map again to try again, this time I managed to get the bridge up before the werewolves came, and they sat around till some migrants came, and ripped them to shreds before wandering off.

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 02:08:04 pm »

I must admit i have encoutered one or two Werewolves and Unicorns, too. But the most dangerous thing i ever faced on this map from now came from inside : a berserk yak cow (locked-in merchants) who has managed to kill an almost-legendary, steel-equiped dwarf  :o

I had to use RuneSmith to create a new military dwarf and boost up his skills to a VERY HIGH level so he could kill the cow. I send him outside after that (i dont want a cheated dwarf in my military) and he managed to kill a LOT of goblins before he died. His fight with the berserk cow was a close one. I was really surprised, the yak cow had the same effect on my fortress than a Forgotten Beast without any way to stop it... Forced to hack my only military dwarf skills to survive it, coz there was no way i loose 15 hours of gameplay because of a stupid cow.

I tried 4 or 5 times with runesmith, upgrading my dwarf step by step, and he was killed every time until a had something like 2000+ in attributes and a level of 14 in combat skill. He was equiped with steel sword and a correct armor.

So, if you want some challenge, lock those merchants in, kill the traders, and wait for the Yaks to go berserk  :D

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 03:24:33 pm »

DFProspector organizes its output based on the quantity of material found in the embark.

Yeah, but that's not terribly useful.  I submitted a feature request a while back that it separate things so that you can see what smeltable ores, flux, coal, stone & gems you have separately.  Otherwise, you have to scan through all those gems to see if you have coal somewhere on the list.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

alcohol_dependent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 03:46:45 pm »

I must admit i have encoutered one or two Werewolves and Unicorns, too. But the most dangerous thing i ever faced on this map from now came from inside : a berserk yak cow (locked-in merchants) who has managed to kill an almost-legendary, steel-equiped dwarf  :o

I had to use RuneSmith to create a new military dwarf and boost up his skills to a VERY HIGH level so he could kill the cow. I send him outside after that (i dont want a cheated dwarf in my military) and he managed to kill a LOT of goblins before he died. His fight with the berserk cow was a close one. I was really surprised, the yak cow had the same effect on my fortress than a Forgotten Beast without any way to stop it... Forced to hack my only military dwarf skills to survive it, coz there was no way i loose 15 hours of gameplay because of a stupid cow.

I tried 4 or 5 times with runesmith, upgrading my dwarf step by step, and he was killed every time until a had something like 2000+ in attributes and a level of 14 in combat skill. He was equiped with steel sword and a correct armor.

So, if you want some challenge, lock those merchants in, kill the traders, and wait for the Yaks to go berserk  :D

Should have killed it like a real dwarf. Shame on you for cheating.

coz there was no way i loose 15 hours of gameplay because of a stupid cow.

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress!

No wonder you get bored due to lack of challenge.. you bust out Runesmith when you get what you're asking for. Makes no sense.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2011, 06:01:17 pm »

I am pretty certain that in a game like this there is no such thing as cheating.

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2011, 06:28:24 pm »

lol, depends on your own perception of cheating.

Personnaly, for example i am not proud of it, but i think it is ok to preserve my whole fortress from a berserk cow (i would have never have thought they were so powerful !!!) using RuneSmith and then sacrifying the dwarf.

But after i tried the "danger room" and have trained a dwarf from no skill at all to legendary fighter and shield user in 5 minutes i have decided not to use it anymore, because this really seems like an exploit !

So in my case, hacking the game directly was maybe less cheating than using the danger room to train all my military ?

After all, challenge is a personnal notion depending on what youre good at, what you like to do, and what you are not ready to accept (losing hours of gameplay is really sad ^^)

But i must admit using runesmith is very evil, i won't do it again, i promise  :-[
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:45:50 pm by Poch »

alcohol_dependent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2011, 06:53:12 pm »

lol, depends on your own perception of cheating.

Personnaly, for example i am not proud of it, but i think it is ok to preserve my whole fortress from a berserk cow (i would have never have thought they were so powerful !!!) using RuneSmith and then sacrifying the dwarf.

But after i tried the "danger room" and have trained a dwarf from no skill at all to legendary fighter and shield user in 5 minutes i have decided not to use it anymore because, this really seems like an exploit !

After all, challenge is a personnal notion depending on what youre good at, what you like to do, and what you are not ready to accept (losing hours of gameplay is really sad ^^)

But i must admit using runesmith is very evil, i won't do it again, i promise  :-[

May Armok forgive you.

BTW you're right about danger rooms.

A great alternative is to start with a "drill sergeant" type dwarf with good teacher/military skill.

Also, build an arena. Basically build a bunch of cage traps, trap entire sieges, disarm their weapons, load them into a stockpile with small channel holes above your arena. Station dwarves in arena, lock off arena, pit siegers, slay siegers slowly and painfully using wooden weapons, clean up the mess.

Bloodsport is great training. Arenas need great management.

Streamline the process so you can do it in as few commands as possible. So dwarfy. I love it.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2011, 08:44:55 pm »

There is only cheating in DF if you've agreed to follow some rules, as for a competition or in a community fortress.   :)

One of my original seven is in the hospital after an attack by a werewolf.  He is a miner and so was able to kill the beast.  He seems to be stuck at the step of getting a diagnosis, but at least my Chief Medical Dwarf is getting lots of skill in diagnoses.

While this was stalled because someone else had posted and I didn't realize it hadn't gone through, my wounded Dwarf finally got out of bed and started walking around as usual.  He's still infected, with a torn artery and nerve damage, but he's showing no pain and moving normally.  Weird.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2011, 11:22:03 pm »

There is only cheating in DF if you've agreed to follow some rules, as for a competition or in a community fortress.   :)

One of my original seven is in the hospital after an attack by a werewolf.  He is a miner and so was able to kill the beast.  He seems to be stuck at the step of getting a diagnosis, but at least my Chief Medical Dwarf is getting lots of skill in diagnoses.

While this was stalled because someone else had posted and I didn't realize it hadn't gone through, my wounded Dwarf finally got out of bed and started walking around as usual.  He's still infected, with a torn artery and nerve damage, but he's showing no pain and moving normally.  Weird.

Just wait til the next full moon, he should heal right up... wouldn't that be cool.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2011, 11:30:30 pm »

You ever put seasonal autosave on? With your machine running 130fps, how could you lose hours of gameplay?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5