Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25

Author Topic: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.  (Read 30576 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.
« Reply #226 on: April 27, 2011, 08:05:52 pm »

I was actually referring to the fact that my tomb is the first room you set up for me.

No. If memory serves,NW_Kohaku set you up with some nice digs, a private dining room, and an office before I even started. I actually haven't engraved your tomb, I engraved all your other stuff. And Niyazov is still pissed. And demanding a billon statue. No wonder people have a nasty tendency to introduce Nobles to magma.
Oh. I didn't know. Sorry.
Once again, does anyone have a guess when I'll actually be baron? sorry if I'm being impatient.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 27, 2011, 08:19:16 pm »

Probably when the liason comes to talk about promoting a dwarf to baron. Which if I recall is a little bit bugged, and the work-around is to delay the meeting with the liason until the caravan leaves.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 27, 2011, 08:43:14 pm »

If I remember correctly, the liaison is still there. I never did speak with him...

Considering our wealth, I'd say before the next turn is over, probably.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 28, 2011, 07:54:30 am »

Hey guys, I'm not going to be able to play for a while so you should go ahead and skip my turn. Sorry.  :-\
Memento Mori

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 28, 2011, 10:47:57 am »

Well, that means Geb is up next...  I'll send him a PM

EDIT: Guys, for future reference, change the name of the save to something like "Rinsewind - End of Turn 2" before uploading it to the DFFD.  That way we don't have a bunch of overlapping names.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 10:52:28 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 28, 2011, 01:25:18 pm »

I've grabbed the save and taken a quick look around.  I'll start playing tomorrow.

Is everybody dwarfed now, or do I need to allow some more immigrants in?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 28, 2011, 01:41:32 pm »

i'll see if I need to update the sheet

EDIT: Who is agarthacides? Can't find her on the sheet and neither can I find her on the Job enlistment thread
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 01:45:25 pm by Dutchling »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 28, 2011, 02:24:13 pm »

I just downloaded the save, myself...

Blade, why did you designated everything on the west bank of the stream for chopping or gathering?  You haven't even started enclosing any of it.

Also, that well Blade built has blood all around it.  I definitely recommend deconstructing that dangerous well immediately, and setting up a safer, aquifer-based reservoir system, instead as one of your early moves, Geb.

Furthermore... holy crap, we have a lot of gold.  And by "A lot of gold" I mean we have more gold nuggets than any other single type of stone.  Just a teensy bit zealous about vein extraction, were we, Blade?

Also, we have a freaking LOT of adult dogs in cages that are untrained.  I'd recommend uncaging some, training them as wardogs, and then recaging them as a doberman bomb or else giving them en-masse to our relatively few soldiers as a meat shield and screen against goblin attrition.

I don't see the forgotten beast anywhere, though...

I notice that NW_Kohaku is still a novice glazer who is rusty, which means Blade didn't even attempt to use glazing, which is too bad, since we have WAY more than enough gold for making gold glaze.

Geb, if you aren't familiar with the changes with glazing, the thread is here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81976.0

You'll need to make some ceramic jugs to hold the glazes (we don't have any being made right now), and then use a quern to convert ores to glazes.  Then the ability to glaze will light up.  (Blade, if you had trouble with this, why didn't you ask for advice?)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 28, 2011, 02:33:52 pm »

He probably just completely overlooked glazing, thats all. You're using fireclay so it's not required and thus didn't come up. Definately have all the soldiers train a dog or 3, you can assign animal training to my dwarf for that purpose.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 28, 2011, 02:45:38 pm »

Odd, Patchy is supposed to be a military dwarf, but isn't listed in there.

Geb, remember to make Patchy a speardwarf.

We also have some copper shields and copper crossbows for some reason. 

We have 3 soldiers that are supposed to be marksdwarves, but they have no archery targets to actually practice with.  The marksdwarves also don't seem to be wearing armor.

All of our bolts are made from silver or copper right now, as well.  No bone or iron bolts seem to have been manufactured.

Also, Geb, remember that "dumping" leads to the garbage disposal, which is an atom smasher at the bottom of a long shaft.  You can clear out excess stone this way.

Oh, and the dwarves are all set to round-the-clock training, and always at 10 dwarves.  Might be why Dutchling died of thirst.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 02:54:00 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2011, 02:55:39 pm »

I thought you only designated a couple odd stones for extra glazing colors. Plus, the couple of times I had to redesignate clay pots and such, the glazing options were red, so I assumed we didn't have something. I gotta admit, I've barely touched the whole glazing thing at any point. It's about as optional as beekeeping right now, 'cept more useful, I suppose.

The west bank, I meant to build some kind of system to allow access. Kinda forgot about it, what with the mayhem and dehydration.

That blood is probably just from people washing themselves. I'm sure it's relatively harmless. I set it up in Late Summer I think and never had any problems. Considering the absolutely amazing amount of blood in the trap area, I'd hardly call it a stretch. As for the dogs, they must have just grown up. I know we had like six puppies in a row in the unit list a little before my turn ended.
As for the gold... The miners weren't busy enough for my tastes. Besides, TWO golden artifacts. Yeah. Don't forget, we also have lots of tetrahedrite (free bolts!) and native silver (free bolts and hammers!). Oh. And a shit-ton of gems.

Missing Forgotten Beast? I noticed that too. I looked on my unit list, and the little bastard seemed to have wandered off. Maybe it's fooling around in one of the areas of the cavern we cannot see? Or it left 'cause it couldn't get in?

Also Dutchling, Agarthacides is row 74 on your spreadsheet.

I read that material was not important for shields, so I decided to spend steel elsewhere. Also, we totally do have an archery range. It's on the same level as the barracks. I tried making the ammo saving setup (where the bolt drops a z level and is completely undamaged?). Not sure it worked. I made crossbows out of copper because I read that material for them was unimportant unless they were in melee, and it wouldn't let me make them out of silver.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 28, 2011, 02:59:33 pm »

Hehe yeah, just got done looking over the save. The military skills I started with are starting to rust and I don't even have my armour or spear yet. Oh well at least my masonry is coming along nicely, and apparently I'm also a really good bowyer too. Maybe I should've been a marksdwarf. *shrugs*

Edit: Hmm, lots of tetrahedrite and gold ore.... make some black bronze stuff. The fort needs some more purple in it. Or at least some more purple for my room xD
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 03:01:48 pm by Patchy »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 28, 2011, 03:08:01 pm »

I didn't notice the archery targets next to all that loose stone.

The problem you have is that you dug out holes in front of the targets.  This means that there is no place to stand to shoot at the targets, and nobody uses those archery ranges, which is why, when I look at the units screen, the marksdwarves are saying "(cannot follow order)". 

You don't even want to use the "save the bolt" trick, anyway, because that only creates a 1-bolt large stack, and it takes up an entire quiver, last time I checked.  It's better to just use up your entire stack.

Also, you need to change your military dwarves to not be on duty all the time, or else they starve themselves to death. See wiki: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Military_F.A.Q.#My_dwarves_won.27t_go_off-duty.21_They.27re_starving_themselves.21

Crossbow material is unimportant unless they are in melee... but marksdwarves get into melee a LOT if you aren't very careful in your control of them.  Training as hammerdwarves and steel weapons is a good idea. 

EDIT:
Also, I think you have to designate each archery target individually as its own archery range.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 03:23:46 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 28, 2011, 03:41:06 pm »

Also, you need to change your military dwarves to not be on duty all the time, or else they starve themselves to death. See wiki: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Military_F.A.Q.#My_dwarves_won.27t_go_off-duty.21_They.27re_starving_themselves.21

Crossbow material is unimportant unless they are in melee... but marksdwarves get into melee a LOT if you aren't very careful in your control of them.  Training as hammerdwarves and steel weapons is a good idea. 

Well, it won't take long for one of the weapon smiths to knock out a few steel crossbows.

I've never had a problem with full-time military starving. In my experience, they drag food and drink to the barracks and eat/drink straight from the barrel. Odd.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25