Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25

Author Topic: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.  (Read 30566 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2011, 02:57:45 am »

that only creates a 1-bolt large stack, and it takes up an entire quiver, last time I checked.  It's better to just use up your entire stack.

Not so - dwarves will fill a quiver (20 to 30 bolts) with singles if they feel like it.
This is a blank sig.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2011, 03:06:09 pm »

Oh, so that was changed?

Well, in order to make a pit that collects bolts, you need to make a longish archery range with holes on the sides of the archery targets, so that misses that go off to the side will go down the holes.  (The longer the range, the more chance of the bolts going astray.) Putting holes in front of an archery target breaks the "room" designation, and prevents the whole room from being used.  You also have to designate each archery target as its own archery range.

I tried doing that once in 40d, but it was such a pain collecting individual bolts that I got sick of it, and just patched up the floors and didn't ever try it again.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2011, 04:44:28 pm »

Considering our wealth, I'd say before the next turn is over, probably.
Excellent. Soon that DM will stop complaining about my nice rooms and I will be able to make sensible demands! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Ahem.

Oh, so that was changed?

Well, in order to make a pit that collects bolts, you need to make a longish archery range with holes on the sides of the archery targets, so that misses that go off to the side will go down the holes.  (The longer the range, the more chance of the bolts going astray.) Putting holes in front of an archery target breaks the "room" designation, and prevents the whole room from being used.  You also have to designate each archery target as its own archery range.

I tried doing that once in 40d, but it was such a pain collecting individual bolts that I got sick of it, and just patched up the floors and didn't ever try it again.
How about designating the room but NOT telling squads to train in it yet, channel in front of the targets, and THEN telling the squad to train?
Or putting floor hatches/a bridge in front of it, above the pit, and opening/retracting them/it with a lever before use?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2011, 05:01:00 pm »

IMHO al a bit unneccecary considering the ubiquity of bone bolts... assuming an easy source of bones from domestic or wild animals.
This is a blank sig.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 29, 2011, 05:33:33 pm »

Well, we didn't have any bone bolts when I looked at the save... I'm not sure if we have bone carvers at all.

We have domestic animals, although the water buffalo were butchered, and most of the poultry aren't going to make good sources for bolts. 

That reminds me, I don't think we have any nest boxes up.  Nest boxes, and we have plenty of excess food sources and stuffing for the doberman bombs.

We also only have up the hives that I set up really late in the game - with ceramics, hives are basically free, so there's no reason not to slide that into the kiln's set of instructions.

Speaking of which, Geb, I set the middle-most kiln to be a "NW_Kohaku-only" kiln, and the western-most kiln as "Khift-only", and then one that was just for collecting clay.  The NW_Kohaku one is just set to collecting clay, though, which shouldn't even be doing anything.  You might want to check all the workshops for manager adjustments.

How about designating the room but NOT telling squads to train in it yet, channel in front of the targets, and THEN telling the squad to train?
Or putting floor hatches/a bridge in front of it, above the pit, and opening/retracting them/it with a lever before use?

Doesn't work - they still register an "obstruction" in the way of the room's function.  As MonkeyHead says, though, bone bolts are cheap.  We had 22 bones from the alligator alone, and those goblins just keep delivering more.

We can just make some iron bolts, and make them not a part of the uniform, and do a uniform change over to dropping bone bolts and taking up iron bolts when the siege comes. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 30, 2011, 12:45:55 am »

I'm not sure if we have bone carvers at all.

yes we do: me! :)

We can just make some iron bolts, and make them not a part of the uniform, and do a uniform change over to dropping bone bolts and taking up iron bolts when the siege comes. 

also not needed: training and combat designations are now respected just fine.

This is a blank sig.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 02, 2011, 09:16:35 am »

So, um... is Geb playing this?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 02, 2011, 04:02:07 pm »

Erk... sorry people. I'm being really slow with this - you might want to skip my turn.

I did discover that nobody had assigned a chief medical dwarf though. That might explain why nobody was using the hospital.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 02, 2011, 04:30:24 pm »

When I discovered we had wounded and no chief medical dwarf, I assigned my own dwarf to the position. When the year ended, I took him off.

Not that it did a lot of good. *sigh*

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 02, 2011, 08:30:24 pm »

Erk... sorry people. I'm being really slow with this - you might want to skip my turn.

I did discover that nobody had assigned a chief medical dwarf though. That might explain why nobody was using the hospital.

Well, could you define "slow"?  If it takes you somewhere around a week, that's fine, but we should hopefully have the game going through about a turn a week. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 05, 2011, 03:24:45 am »

I'll be taking my turn now, Kohaku asked me to and because Geb said we should skip his turn I agreed.
I'll try to do 1 season per day because I don't have time next week ^^

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 05, 2011, 01:01:05 pm »

Organizational note of all the things to remember:

Obviously, remember that you're dead, now, so this is a fortress being run by the ghost of a guy who died last year because of a... shall we say, "drinking problem"?

Anyway, I've already talked about some issues that need to be cleared up, like working on the main gateway and defense, getting marksdwarves and the firing range working, probably getting bone bolts mass-produced, making jugs (and using the quern to grind ore) for glazes as well as using some of the existing bee hives for honey and mead. Check the managers on those magma kilns, one is the NW_Kohaku kiln, and it is set to only collect clay, which is a problem, and should involve something like making jugs, large pots, and failing that, statues and crafts that are glazed to add value and get rid of some of this stupid gold.  Grazing pastures need to be reconfigured - most of those pastures look overgrazed, and others have no animals in them.  We still don't have any nest boxes to take advantage of all the geese and ducks we have.  Training schedules need to include some breaks so more dwarves don't die of "drinking problems". Patchy can become a speardwarf if you need. We have a dozen dogs that are waiting for war training.  You need to meet with the trade representative, so make sure all labors are off for the dwarf that needs to meet with him.  (This is probably NW_Kohaku.)

As for building projects, I still recommend an aquifer-based cistern for the hospital, a marksdwarf watchtower, and of course, finishing all defenses on our eastern gate.  (Remember, you can extend the gate eastward to add more traps, and don't be shy about digging out some of the mountain to make more room for traps.)

If you accomplish all the necessary tasks, there is also actually opening up and securing the west bank once we have completely secured the east bank.  Then there's the caverns and the FB down there - you could build an elaborate death trap for luring that FB in and killing it.  (It has dust, so I recommend only engaging it with spike traps.)

Other than that, nothing to do :P
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:44:51 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 05, 2011, 01:03:25 pm »

Also make sure that the fort's defenses are in top shape when the turn's over.

The military's one of the things I still didn't get the hang of.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 05, 2011, 04:42:06 pm »

I did not have the time to play more than few in game days yet but I've take a look at the fortress and it confused the hell out of me. Than I realized I used Genesis Phoebus DF to run it so all the tiles were messed up.
About me being dead: I've already found a solution and it does not involve a ghost, at least, not a Dwarven ghost.
Are you sure we need training schedules? I normally  make my squads train the whole year with 10 out of 10 of them training so I'm sure that was not the problem. If I make them do that I will keep a close eye on them though. I will not use a danger room though, and neither any training weapons. Training weapons are for elves.
And whats up with the central staircase? Or rather, the lack of a central staircase? It's quite confusing imo but I'll get used to it ^^.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25