Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: This isn't even funny...  (Read 6517 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This isn't even funny...
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 01:23:56 am »

Gears over Final Fantasy? possible, tell you the truth FF went crap after 7 and don't tell me they were good cause im too busy still watching the damn beautiful cutscenes of 13 :/

You really can't judge a game by its few good cutscenes

8 had a great one. Fable 3 had a great one too.

Ohh FF8 you are the Soap opera of the Final Fantasy games.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 02:06:37 am »

Much of the basis for games I find popular and/or worth trying out (and mostly clear and concise while at it), regardless graphics, quality, and/or difficulty: TVTropes, and not reading the spoilers (for obvious reasons; though post-completion and missed details makes me want to replay others (CMoAs, for example)). One of the reasons for most/half of my current games I own. Indie and otherwise. Alternatively, recommendations in these parts of the forums, and Let's Plays from all over the internet.

[channel rant]I've gotten over G4TV since they've just about abandoned their old format, and look like Hollywood's blind depiction of gamers. The only show that really survived, but is showing it's age in it's short life is Attack of the Show. And that's become more about gadgets and the internet than game reviews. Hell, even their game reviews lack substance and accuracy much of the time. Hell, what even happened to Arena? It was interesting watching deathmatches of varying skill.[/channel rant]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:09:07 am by Itnetlolor »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2011, 02:30:47 am »

Could be worse...

Have you seen what happened to the Learning Channel? (TLC)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 03:38:58 am »

Quote from: Most of this thread.  Oh, that other thread too.  And all those countless others covering the damn subject.
lolololololololol

Y u No liek wat i Liek??!!!!11
Anyone who needs to rage over peoples differing views on videogames of all things must live a pretty darn sad life.

But yeah, we really need to try and define who a 'true gamer' is.  Maybe someone who plays games?  Or maybe someone who does nothing but play games.  Other than bitch about people who don't fit their definition of 'true gamer' of course.

Brb, gonna go yell at someone for drinking a cuppa tea incorrectly.  When will these fucking 'casual' tea drinkers ever learn?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 03:41:45 am »

Could be worse...

Have you seen what happened to the Learning Channel? (TLC)

They dropped the learning channel part from their name officially some years back. And yah, it's staggeringly bad - Horders, Cake Boss, shows about the lives of midgets. That is the extent of their programming now. Ugh.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 03:46:16 am »

Anyone who needs to rage over peoples differing views on videogames of all things must live a pretty darn sad life.

This whole thread is GameFaqs level terrible and anyone whose been there knows just how damning that is.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 04:12:25 am »

As clearly indicated by the fact that both Metroid and Half Life didn't pass round one, this is obviously an unpopularity contest. Or a contest to determine the games that are worth the least of your time.

Metroid series died a bit after Super metroid.
Metroid is a game that includes non linear huge directionless levels, not linear corridor based action game.(other M and Metroid fusion but Fusion still was good)
And Half life was knocked out because more people know GTA and GTA is a game that almost everyone can enjoy unlike Half life for which you need a different taste.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 04:12:53 am »

This whole thread is GameFaqs level terrible and anyone whose been there knows just how damning that is.
Woah, I wouldn't say it's THAT bad.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 05:00:20 am »

OK.. OK.. I'm sorry. This whole topic is silly.

OP: Either quit bitching or go make another "Mainstream games piss me off" thread.

On Topic: I think that the results are mostly fine. They show the current trends, and as far as some of the classics not making it past round one, think about the dumps they've become recently, or because of the viewership of the site. Metroid lost because of Other M. No discussion on that. Pokemon lost because most of the viewers of G4 who actually go to the website are 13 year  old nerds who actually say "OMG. Pokemons are for kids!" Half-Life lost because it is all but unknown to console players. (Oh god. I need to stop going to /b/. I actually typed consolefags the first time through.) Street Fighter lost because, honestly, have we even gotten to Street Fighter 4 yet?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 05:04:42 am »

I think video games have huge potential as an evolution in storytelling, and Silent Hill is/was a big contributor to that.
And I think that games have a great potential as an evolution in, well, games, and linear storytelling should be left to books and movies. I certainly wouldn't want to be forced to follow some contrived plot while playing traditional games like chess, why the hell should I have to suffer it in computer games?

So no, useless bloat does not make for a superior franchise.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 07:24:18 am »

Any ranking that lacks Baldur's Gate series as a participant is worthless and incomplete.
Still, they didn't add Megaman or Pokemon this time, so it's a step forward i guess?

Edit : Effin hell.. There WAS a pokemon entry... Pokemon but no Baldur's Gate!? WHAT THE...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:30:02 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2011, 10:02:09 am »

I have read the poll, and saw a few things I liked and didn't like. But then I relized.

This.
Is.
STUPID.

I'll tell you a number of reasons about why I think this.

The truth about this is that this will not decide anything. If anything like Mario or Starcraft wins, it really WON'T decide anything. You have only a part of the gaming comunity represented here. Hell, I'm a gamer and I had no idea this existed intill I clicked this topic. And I bet there are millions of others who also are not aware of this poll. Also, some gamers may have not tried some of the games on this list. Hell, some players may even HATE the game they would love because of what they have heard about it. Not to forget the online trolls who hate a game so much they will vote againist it no matter what, even if the game its up againist is worse.
So unless you manage find EVERY SINGLE GAMER in the whole world, get them to play EVERY SINGLE GAME that has ever existed, and make sure they are ALL mature and appropriate, then you cannot decide what is the best game in the peoples view.

The deathmatch pair-ups make no sense. How does one judge if a FPS is better then a RPG? They are entirely different categories, and aim for different appels. In the end, it is not a choice betweem which is a better game, it is a choice between which genre is more liked. And then it goes back to the point made in the first reason, you have trolls who not only hate a certain game, but sometimes an entire genre of games! There is no real way to say if a stealth game like Metal Gear Soild is better then an action-packed FPS like Call of Duty. There is also no way to say if a RTS game like Starcraft is better then a survival-horror game like Slient Hill. In fact, in my personal opinion, I hate horror in general and I would vote for Starcraft because I simply dislike the whole survival-horror genre and not because Starcraft is a better game (I am not saying it is, I bet both games have their ups and downs.). Online game polls only really work if it is one genre being compaired, otherwise results are moot.

Not very game or Genre is repersented there in equal number and support. For example, WoW is the only MMO there, while there are something like, what, over five FPSes. There also also games that are semi-popluar and popular that aren't on the list. For example, Dragon Age, an emerging and somewhat popluar game is not there. There are also some games people may not be aware of, such as Tomb Raider, in which I believe some people are not sure whether its a video game or a movie series (The movies weren't too bad, and certainly watchable). You would need to have EVERY SINGLE game on that list to make it fair, and then you have the problem of what order should the "Matches" take place in. Some games that would really be an interesting vote may not even be in a match. ALso comes the over-all pronlem of the fact that this list repersents EVERY game in the franchises. A franchise may have one really bad game, but then it is saved by a great second game (See: Assassin's Creed).

Thats my insight that, no matter the outcome, nothing will be decided by it. Just because one game wins does not mean it is suddenly the greatest thing on the planet. It means its just a game that some people perfer over a few other Genres and games. Nothing has been decided. This is a stupid idea, and is just a way to make some money and gain some publicity for G4.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2011, 11:59:01 am »

Gears over Final Fantasy? possible, tell you the truth FF went crap after 7 and don't tell me they were good cause im too busy still watching the damn beautiful cutscenes of 13 :/
6 was the best. /whole_new_argument

However, to put some positive information into the thread: I ignore stuff like this anyway.
Just because no one else can understand some of the finer points of gaming, doesn't mean I can't, so I just play what I enjoy and ignore everyone else as much as I can.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2011, 01:31:31 pm »

I have read through this whole thread and I am ashamed of you all. It's like watching an argument between Gaming Hipsters. Here, I made this picture so that you can all feel unworthy of this topic of discussion.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On-topic: My entertainment is superior to your entertainment and since more people think so I must be right about something!

e: only now do I realize that the Pong screenshot I stole was from G4TV, which only makes it all the more hilarious.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:48:50 pm by freeformschooler »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2011, 04:48:20 pm »

6 was the best. /whole_new_argument

However, to put some positive information into the thread: I ignore stuff like this anyway.
Just because no one else can understand some of the finer points of gaming, doesn't mean I can't, so I just play what I enjoy and ignore everyone else as much as I can.
I didn't explain myself better, i love the FF series but after 7 it was shit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6