Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: This isn't even funny...  (Read 6495 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: This isn't even funny...
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2011, 04:01:33 pm »

Any ranking that lacks Baldur's Gate series as a participant is worthless and incomplete.
Still, they didn't add Megaman or Pokemon this time, so it's a step forward i guess?

Edit : Effin hell.. There WAS a pokemon entry... Pokemon but no Baldur's Gate!? WHAT THE...

Baldur's Gate wasn't THAT good.  It was absolutely a niche game by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm not sure I could argue that it broke any new ground--it took concepts that have been around since the early Ultima series, combined them with D&D mechanics, and packaged them up rather neat and tidy...but for wide appeal, even among people here?  Dunno.  Pokemon OTOH energized a couple of generations. Hell a couple of my best friends met on a Pokemon roleplaying newsgroup like eight years ago and are married now.  Good luck finding that with Baldur's Gate.

Ew.

I don't think people marrying over roleplaying newsgroups relations is a good way to define something is really good. There are quite distressing furry/anime/something else roleplay gatherings which result into this, and that doesn't make it good by any extent.

Baldurs game wasnt expectacular, aye, but its surely better then a game that was copypaste'd for over 10 versions across several years and appeals to people with obsessive compulsive disorder or children :S

Every pokemon game ever: You are a budding youngster who through a series of convenient accidental events have aquired a pokemon! You must now use it to beat all gym leaders so you can become a true pokemanz master!
Oh no! Your rival wants to fight you with pokemon that are much better then yours! You must grind more and beat them along your path!
Oh no! Team X wants to destroy the world/use pokemon for cosmetics testing/make the sea rise/dominate the world/poke your mom with a stick/are a bunch of jerks/etc! You must stop them while capturing more strange creatures to turn them into bigger creatures with stronger stats and abilities!
You have defeated team X and the last gym champion, now fight all endgame champions and become a winrar!

Add some minigames in and you got yourself a pokemon game.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:08:31 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2011, 05:44:01 pm »

Not quite. To be a true pokemon game, it needs to grab a thesaurus, pick a few words, combine them, and then create at least 100 new creatures than the last. Priority going to combinations that have no memorable features above and beyond the original 150, so older people just see them as "those new ones".
Eh?
Eh!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2011, 07:14:16 pm »

I don't think people marrying over roleplaying newsgroups relations is a good way to define something is really good. There are quite distressing furry/anime/something else roleplay gatherings which result into this, and that doesn't make it good by any extent.
Your choice of words here made me chuckle. Quite distressing indeed! When will the queen do something about such ingrate thugs? I say, pass me the buttered teacakes, Froissart.

OP: MGS sucks, Mass Effect is better than your choice for whatever, yadda yadda. Congratulations, you're a successful troll, whether you meant to be or not. Can't people just ignore fanboys and play what they like? What a distressing thread to come back to.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2011, 07:35:45 pm »

OP: MGS sucks, Mass Effect is better than your choice for whatever, yadda yadda. Congratulations, you're a successful troll, whether you meant to be or not. Can't people just ignore fanboys and play what they like? What a distressing thread to come back to.

I don't think you understand how seriously I take my flashing lights on a screen. My flashing lights have been entertaining for over twenty years, and are far superior to those new lights that both flash AND move. And dear Lord, if I so much as see someone forgetting to praise the late eighties flashing lights in a list made for people with moving lights, I'm going to write five paragraphs about it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2011, 07:44:32 pm »

It may be the case that we can't decide which games are the best, but it does seem like we can agree on what games are bad, and I think it should be there that we ground what it is about these games that suck and use the distinctions we gathered there as our indelible yardstick.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2011, 07:47:36 pm »

It may be the case that we can't decide which games are the best, but it does seem like we can agree on what games are bad, and I think it should be there that we ground what it is about these games that suck and use the distinctions we gathered there as our indelible yardstick.

That's ridiculous, because out there somewhere, possibly on our very own forum is a thirty five year old man who has dedicated his life to Dora the Explorer: Rainbow Happy Fun Quest 3: The Rainbowening.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2011, 07:56:46 pm »

Why would it be ridiculous?

I think there are games that we can all agree are egregious in design and execution, Superman 64 is a god aweful game for example, and then there's desert bus where you drive a bus or truck down an infinitely long road that had no twists or turns in it, and then there's Big Rigs over the road racing.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2011, 07:59:05 pm »

Are you kidding? Superman 64 is a great game. There's rings to fly through, and... uh.. and...

(ITT I act aggressive at people to be facetious)

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2011, 08:16:51 pm »

Are you kidding? Superman 64 is a great game. There's rings to fly through, and... uh.. and...

Supposing that someone did say that, I think a great deal of us would think this person is making a mistake. We can certainly imagine a similar game like it, but made far better in terms of execution. In all briefness, we're not asking a person whether or not they enjoy a game, if you get people drunk or make them disoriented and simple minded they would enjoy anything you throw in front of them.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2011, 08:24:28 pm »

I don't think it would be "a great deal" I think it would probably be more like "everyone but one person who is probably trolling".

Regardless I agree with you. Given that this is Bay 12, a great deal of us probably have a "type" of game that holds our interest. However, the point I was making was that arguing over which games are "better" seems pretty silly. It's just a very fun thing to do I guess when you're a teenager or whatever demographic enjoys arguing about games.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2011, 09:17:45 pm »

To all the people being reasonable, logical or (dare I say it) intelligent:

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2011, 09:20:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

YOU SON OF A well mannered troll consort wife

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2011, 09:23:54 pm »

This list is complete bullshit.
They didn't add Daikatana.
It may be one game just yet but the secret sequel made by Eidos is soon going to be released.
Plus its the best game ever.

Ale and Axes

• Bay Watcher
  • Chug - Swipe - Cheer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2011, 09:40:14 pm »

Consensus isn't a stand-in for objectivity.

This list is complete bullshit.
They didn't add Daikatana.
It may be one game just yet but the secret sequel made by Eidos is soon going to be released.
Plus its the best game ever.

Like balls it is! Big Rigs ftw.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6