Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: This isn't even funny...  (Read 6520 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This isn't even funny...
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 10:35:50 pm »

I told myself I wasn't going to get involved as soon as I read the post, but oh well!

Also, on the topic of the thread as a whole, pitting games against each other never gives results that please everyone. That's kind of how it's meant to work. Only one can win from each matchup and only one can win overall, so by definition, a fair number of people are going to be disappointed. Plus, you're competing games from completely different genres against each other, as has been mentioned, which tells you very, very little except how many people have played each of them and happen to be looking/voting.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:38:05 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 10:41:15 pm »

I... don't like horror/survival thriller in any regard. Starcraft wins simply because I dislike Silent Hill. I'm also not sure what you mean by Silent Hills's "achieved more" either. Yeah, more things were made based on the Silent Hill universe, but from what I hear/reviews I've seen, at least half of them aren't worth playing/seeing if you're a fan of the series. And you can't discount "Starcraft's an E-sport" just because of whatever judgements you've made against it, it's a serious deal with a lot of money invested in sponsors and such. To quote some hopefully-reputable source from the first page of google results for "korean starcraft":
There is not one but two cable television channels dedicated to broadcasting matches between pro gamers, often playing StarCraft. There are live matches in a specially built studio/stadium, which sometimes draw as many as 100,000 people. To answer Lance’s question, pro gaming in Korea is about as popular as pro poker leagues in America. The biggest names among pro gamers in Korea – say, Im Yo-Hwan or Yi Yoon-Yeol – have about the same name/face recognition in Korea as Phil Hellmuth or Howard Lederer has in America.

Exactly! You cant achieve this with silent hill... or I dare to say, any other game!
Notice the arena where they are. How many people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jen46qkZVNI
(minute 2:25)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:42:56 pm by Krelian »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 10:45:51 pm »

or I dare to say, any other game!

Someone doesn't have a great deal of experience with fighting games.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 10:47:11 pm »

It isn't that Mainstream doesn't know what makes a great game, but think about it as books.

Do you know all the great writers currently? All the latest great books? Likely you know only what is popular at this time.

What about music? A lot of people tend to know who Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Bach, and many of the popular bands in the 20th century that were around way before their time. It doesn't seem like people who like music only know composers and artists in their own time.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 10:48:15 pm »

So, wait... this is a complete sham because your favoured games didn't win? Lolwut?

Please, think about a few things before unleashing your rage:

1) This is an internet poll. To quote Slashdot:
"This whole thing is wildly inaccurate. Rounding errors, ballot stuffers, dynamic IPs, firewalls. If you're using these numbers to do anything important, you're insane."
You really shouldn't be taking these seriously. It's not like the International Gaming Franchise People's Choice Awards are being handed out with multi-billion dollar prizes to the winner, or something. Heck, websites constantly run these kinds of polls - The Escapist just finished their own (albeit comparing developers instead of franchises), and, well, Mojang (Minecraft!) beat out both Valve and Bioware to take the #1 spot.

2) This is an internet poll. It represents what people believe to be the best series. Starcraft beat Silent Hill because, frankly, Starcraft is more popular (a fact I believe you'd be very hard-pressed to deny), and so more people voted for it. This also explains why new games are beating the oldies - it has nothing to do with the real quality of a series, and everything to do with the perceived quality.

3) This is not a poll of what you believe to be the greatest franchises. Frankly, I take issue with a few of these results myself, but I'd take Mass Effect's engrossing sci-fi universe over Metal Gear's confusing, convoluted plots any day. And as for Final Fantasy... well, they haven't exactly been putting on a high-quality showing recently, and arguably didn't deserve to win. (Never mind that it lost 49% to 51%, so you can't say it wasn't at least close.)

But, fundamentally, your opinions do not necessarily mesh with the opinions of the masses. Neither do my opinions, while we're at it - I'd hardly claim to be omniscient, able to discern the intrinsic relative value of a franchise. No matter what options are picked, there will always be people who disagree. And, ya know, part of living in a democratic society is occasionally having to suck it up, admit that the popular option won, admitting that the world is not going to end (a statement that is considerably more true in gaming than politics!), and moving on. Preferably without whining too loudly.  :P

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 10:49:03 pm »

Putting our differences in games apart, it seems that gaming is now like fashion, all the people who like to stick to the newest things jump onto the bandwagon, agree with it and such until the newer game comes out. While I have no problem with this, I personally prefer the oldies better then all this new stuff. Sure I still like Assassin's Creed and uncharted, they seem to be different from the games I grew up with and loved.

Aside from that, my rage after first seeing this has subsided and now it just seems like a way to start a flame war.

So lets keep this on topic, which video game series do you enjoy more?
The "deathmatch" is just a publicly stunt if you ask me <_<

To the guy above me, there are alot of games I like that won, I am too tired to read the rest of your post.

Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 10:49:27 pm »

In terms of music it is the same thing about Shakespear

It is still in our consciousness because people keep pushing it on the mainstream and reference it.

Afterall it isn't like the Mainstream havn't actually played a great game.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 10:57:49 pm »

Don't really care about the poll.  Haven't even looked at it.  However, I can't help but drop this on the Starcraft/Silent Hill bit.

I hate the effect that e-sports has had on gaming in general.  It's skewed game design practices towards game balance which punishes mistakes extremely harshly and leaves little room for new players to get involved in a game to the point that they can enjoy it without serious upfront investment.  I hate the types of elitist douchebags that populate pro gaming communities, and the serious business/excessive meta gaming that they force on everyone.

I think video games have huge potential as an evolution in storytelling, and Silent Hill is/was a big contributor to that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 10:58:06 pm »

Some of these are just sad, such as Mass Effect beating Metal Gear Solid.

I'm sorry, but having played both ME and MGS, I must strongly disagree. MGS is a convoluted, incoherent mess.

2) This is an internet poll. It represents what people believe to be the best series. Starcraft beat Silent Hill because, frankly, Starcraft is more popular (a fact I believe you'd be very hard-pressed to deny), and so more people voted for it. This also explains why new games are beating the oldies - it has nothing to do with the real quality of a series, and everything to do with the perceived quality.

Hold on there, what exactly is the difference between those two? I don't think there's an objective way of measuring a game's quality, and if you disagree I would very much like to know by what criteria you would do so.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 11:06:55 pm »

Hold on there, what exactly is the difference between those two? I don't think there's an objective way of measuring a game's quality, and if you disagree I would very much like to know by what criteria you would do so.
[/quote]

Mmm, I guess I didn't make this clear enough. There is no objective way of measuring true quality, as far as I'm concerned. That said, the OP was complaining that the winning franchises were 'wrong', which seems to imply both that 'true quality' can be measured, and that the OP has done so. I'm trying to make clear that, even if there was a proper mechanism for measuring quality, this poll would be completely unrelated to said mechanism because it effectively measures popularity.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 11:11:55 pm »

which seems to imply both that 'true quality' can be measured, and that the OP has done so.

Yes I have devised a method to to measure "True Quality" but the math is so complex that I will save you the trouble of telling you /sarcasm

I never said they were wrong, I was perplexed by the poll results.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 12:20:51 am »

actually you called them "stupid games" :p

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 12:49:40 am »

actually you called them "stupid games" :p

They started it :P

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 01:05:51 am »

ITT: People rage because other people have different opinions about gaming.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 01:21:03 am »

Gears over Final Fantasy? possible, tell you the truth FF went crap after 7 and don't tell me they were good cause im too busy still watching the damn beautiful cutscenes of 13 :/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6