Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Badgers are mean.  (Read 1567 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Badgers are mean.
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:13:47 pm »

Just killed my planter...
What do I do? I just started mah fort! :O

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Badgers are mean.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 01:29:06 pm »

Abandon, restart. Or savescum. Or continue if you feel like it.

I'm going to try a temperate forest biome fort soon.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 01:31:19 pm »

Cage traps and long falls.

Or magma.

Or a dwarf who knows hot to use an axe.

But all of these things come after you builds some walls to keep them out of your beard.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 02:01:04 pm »

Enjoy watching the badgers conga through your map one after the other while you dig out somewhere to hide.  Build a bunch of cages around the same area.  Watch as all the badgers conga through your field of cage traps and all get trapped one after the other.

Then either modify the raws to go from PET_EXOTIC to PET and tame them, or pit 'em and kill 'em or use 'em as target practice for your military/hunters.  Either way, it's a plentiful supply of meat and skins.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 02:16:38 pm »

Get someone else to be a planter and draft a miner into the military.

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 02:16:55 pm »

First thing i built in my newest run was a wall and a crossbow :P Bloody badgers.
One immigrant with no real skills is now a skilled marksman.
Now i have 8 dead badgers outside my gates, and as a bonus i was prepared for the sudden rampage of monkeys that tried to steal my stuff.
That marksman, gonna be legendary in no time.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 02:19:54 pm »

I recently started a fortress where Badgers were the most common local animal.  First year was rough, with them attacking my dwarves and killing livestock.  But then in one of the first-year immigrant waves I received a Hunter.

Five years later, the Hunter is Legendary, and the Badgers are extinct.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 02:36:19 pm »

Same strategy as on Evil embarks. Get underground fast. Don't search for a nice cliff wall to dig into, don't try to make a nice entrance, just channel down right where you embark. Dig out a room, get all your supplies down there and make sure you have no more reason to go above ground. Possibly build a wall around the entrance. Once you are safe, then you start planning your fortress.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 04:12:22 pm »

BTW do you mean conga-lining badger men, or the horrible Giant Badger boar/sow?

Once at the very start of a fort I had the glorious idea to draft my woodcutter and exterminate the badger men, which worked... up to the point where they went off the map, only to be replaced by the Giant Badgers of Doom: hilarity (in the sense of a dismembered woodcutter) ensued! Only a fearless miner barely managed to drive them away at the cost of his own right foot; I left him lying down for nearly a year, until I got a diagnoser to assess the injury ("yep, that's a missing foot all right, have a crutch!") and restore him to a dwarfy productive life...

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:14:28 pm »

Once at the very start of a fort I had the glorious idea to draft my woodcutter and exterminate the badger men, which worked... up to the point where they went off the map, only to be replaced by the Giant Badgers of Doom: hilarity (in the sense of a dismembered woodcutter) ensued! Only a fearless miner barely managed to drive them away at the cost of his own right foot; I left him lying down for nearly a year, until I got a diagnoser to assess the injury ("yep, that's a missing foot all right, have a crutch!") and restore him to a dwarfy productive life...

Thats okay.
I re-embarked to a location.
With Badgers.
And a rather large cliff.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 05:10:33 pm »

etc
Badger...
Men?
And I thought conchmen sounded strange...
(On an aside, do badger-men like mushroom-men and are afraid of snake-men? And, regardless of those answers, did anyone get the reference?)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 05:11:17 pm »

etc
Badger...
Men?
And I thought conchmen sounded strange...
(On an aside, do badger-men like mushroom-men and are afraid of snake-men? And, regardless of those answers, did anyone get the reference?)

Who doesn't?  :P

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 05:18:50 pm »

We need to mod in mushroom-men now and find out... for !!science!!
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 05:23:47 pm »

We need to mod in mushroom-men now and find out... for !!science!!

We have plump helmet men.

GiantBadger GiantBadger GiantBadger GiantBadger GiantBadger PlumpHelmet! PlumpHelmet! Helmet Snake! Helmet Snake! Oh Noes it's a Helmet Snake!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 05:27:17 pm »

Heheh, badgers doing the conga. Funny mental image.
The badger herds are a bit on the FRICKING-GIGANTIC-I-MEAN-HOLY-#%^@ side.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: [1] 2