Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Achron: Time Travel RTS - Demo out!  (Read 18093 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Achron: Time Travel RTS
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2011, 02:16:13 pm »

How are they gonna avoid time paradoxes? ???
Definitely watching.
Indeed. What happens if I go back in time and destroy a factory which has produced units after that point, for example?

I can answer this one from the trailers.

Or you could watch it yourself.

Also, from TVtropes:

The Dev Team Thinks Of Everything:  While the current game generally involves around four players fighting across seven minutes of time, this is simply a computational constraint of modern hardware. The devs have future-proofed the Resequence Engine by making it scalable: it can theoretically support up to fifteen players fighting across a two-week long active timeline populated with thousands of timewaves.

Your Head A Splode:  what happens whenever anyone realizes the exact implications of this kind of game engine.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2011, 02:18:19 pm »

How is that at all usable?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2011, 02:22:50 pm »

Mostly, it isn't.  At best you (through very careful and accurate planning) can generate a couple of resource-free units.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2011, 02:24:08 pm »

Mostly, it isn't.  At best you (through very careful and accurate planning) can generate a couple of resource-free units.
So if my units go back several minutes and destroy an enemy factory, all of their units generated in that time will simply cease to exist and they'll get the resources back?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2011, 02:30:34 pm »

So if my units go back several minutes and destroy an enemy factory, all of their units generated in that time will simply cease to exist and they'll get the resources back?

Yes.  But they can also send those units back in time to defend the factory that hasn't built them yet.

(To the point of someone having used the Grekim race to create units that went back in time to become their own parents)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2011, 02:38:28 pm »

Okay, who's up for a game tonight?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2011, 02:42:58 pm »

If you want a game, just hop on the IRC room #achron at IRC.coldfront.net, there should be a few players around. Including me once I get Opera's IRC client working again XD

Not immediately, time needs a bit of, well, time, to catch up with changes. There are time waves that propagate the changes.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:48:43 pm by Virex »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2011, 03:14:26 pm »

I really, really don't think I want to play against people who have had the game since beta.  No ranked matchmaking = super lame.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2011, 03:21:54 pm »

I really, really don't think I want to play against people who have had the game since beta.  No ranked matchmaking = super lame.

Yeah this game has a HUGE learning curve... playing against any experienced player is like losing before you even start.

Sounds a lot like the world wasn't ready for such an ambitious game. I'd think about getting it if I didn't think it was too difficult for me to play competently.

I already played that one game where the AI was nearly unbeatable because they had perfect control over their units in a game where squad orders are absolutely vital (I beat them by pausing the game constantly... In light of someone who can pause the game... the AI isn't so good.)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2011, 03:29:11 pm »

What if I build a builder which goes back in time to build a factory which builds a builder which goes back in time to build a factory and then I change my mind and have the original builder build a turret? :P

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2011, 03:35:57 pm »

In that case you'd wonder at where your factory went. The effects would go like this:
Builder Chronoports
Builder builds building
Building builds builder
Builder Chronoports
--You change your mind, build a turret
Building the building is undone, change propagated by the next timewave.
Builder never gets built (gets unbuild so to speak, when the timewave catches up to him)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2011, 03:38:01 pm »

So in the case of a paradox like a unit destroying the factory that made it before the unit was made, how does the game determine which 'event' is real?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2011, 03:43:32 pm »

Depends on the paradox, but usually it goes in oscillation. Each time wave propagates a different reality. The reality that wins is determined by the state when the event drops of the timeline (as the last moment that influences the present continually moves forward in metatime so it stays at a set time-distance from the game-present). Depending on the time settings of the map it'll usually go back and forth for about 4-5 times before the situation solidifies.

For an example of a paradox in a multiplayer game, see this video, where the one taking the video lucks out and gets the positive effect of the paradox as the "real" event.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2011, 04:31:28 pm »

What if I build a builder which goes back in time to build a factory which builds a builder which goes back in time to build a factory and then I change my mind and have the original builder build a turret? :P

At one point in metatime you have 2 workers and 2 factories, however after all the timewaves propagate all changes you have 1 worker, no factories, and a turret.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2011, 04:52:31 pm »

For those interested, I just got word from the IRC channel that a demo is planned soon. They apparently have it ready (or readyish) but they need to fill out some legal stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11