Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Achron: Time Travel RTS - Demo out!  (Read 18080 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Achron: Time Travel RTS
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2011, 05:58:32 am »

Yeah but they'll ignore it if you give them a move command. In Achron at least a group sticks together (unless some of them get stuck behind a part of the scenery). I can't count the amount of times I've had my raiders suicide themselves on the enemy defenses only to have the artillery volley coming in 15 seconds later in many other games...

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2011, 06:55:24 am »

This is mindfuck on a epic level.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2011, 07:22:17 am »

My finger slipped and I accidentally bought the game.  I'll write up a mini review when I'm a few hours in if there's any interest.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2011, 08:28:38 am »

My finger slipped and I accidentally bought the game.  I'll write up a mini review when I'm a few hours in if there's any interest.
I'm interested. I have heard a lot of conflicting reviews.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2011, 09:13:36 am »

From a demo of sorts, I have found that you really do need 3GHz to play with decent fps, even on low. 5 isn't really usable after the timeline is introduced.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2011, 09:29:32 am »

From a demo of sorts, I have found that you really do need 3GHz to play with decent fps, even on low. 5 isn't really usable after the timeline is introduced.

Psst. GHz hasn't been a useful measure of how powerful a CPU is for years.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2011, 09:32:48 am »

Well then how else would this only be at 5 fps with its placeholder graphics? Theres games that look better on low but are faster than that on this computer.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:37:42 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2011, 09:33:51 am »

Theres gamers that look better on low but are faster than that on this computer.

Playing second life much?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2011, 09:37:23 am »

Theres gamers that look better on low but are faster than that on this computer.

Playing second life much?
Damnit, typos. and no,I haven't played that since all the people vanished.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2011, 10:08:50 am »

Okaaay, first impressions.

There is no option to change resolution outside of the ini files, which is pretty poor form for a game that spent this long in development.  It also takes a fair (but tolerable) amount of time to load levels.  Then it crashes.  Turns out my antique graphics card can't handle it, despite being able to run Shogun 2 and SC2 comfortably.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2011, 12:38:57 pm »

Couple of comments:

Looking at that screenshot... is that really what the units look like? Nothing was moving and it took me several seconds to figure out which unit was which (I think... anti-air has one black rectangle/barrel and the others have 2?). That's kinda sad.

The anti-ground tanks are on the right, the anti-air tank on the left.

I've rarely had a problem with SC1's pathfinding. There are easy ways around it, such as group up before attacking, multiple groups, or simply give them short paths.

Though in a game like Archon, you sort of want to have good pathfinding.

Because you're going to be giving single move commands to a single unit at -3:59 (the very edge of the Alterable Past) and want all of the units under its command to get to the destination correctly.

In any case, I've been enjoying it.  There are four (?) campaigns (based on the achievements steam lists) and I've just started the second one.  The first campaign teaches you how to play the humans, the second campaign teaches you how to play the vecnir (the biped race in yellow you see throughout the first campaign).  I assume the third and fourth likewise teach you about the other races as well.  There's only one story, as far as I can tell, but that each campaign only sees one side of it.

Unit differentiation is, however, badly needed.  You can't even always rely on double-clicking to select all units of the same type (you also can't ctrl double-click to add a unit type to a selection).  Along with the "the selected unit stats" needing to be listed (the "this unit does this much damage to air/ground" stats are only show as a tool-tip to the Build Unit button).

Also, despite the time travel, you can seriously fuck up hard.  There's one mission in campaign 1 (either 7, 8, or 9th) that I had to start over from the beginning seven or eight times simply because the Thing I Didn't Do, but Needed To was always 5 or more minutes in the past.  When I did finally win, I think on average I was looking at -3 minutes, queuing up more units and sending them towards the front lines so that they'd arrive when and where they were critically needed (and then I'd have to micro combat at about -1 minute, then head back to -3 or -4 to queue up more units to send present-ward).

The AI is terrible, however.  The enemy AIs that control units, even when they can move back and forth in time like I can, aren't a challenge.  A friend and I played the one 2v2 (there's ONE 2v2 map and ONE 3v3 and ZERO 4v4 maps) against two computer players.  He steam rolled them at about 6 minutes in.  Both of them, by himself.  Took until about 14 before we declared victory, as the game though there was still a unit around somewhere that might be able to pull the game around (probably one of those "didn't fall into the unplayable past" things).

We then faced off against each other, and despite being down most of the game I won, and won hands down.  He'd attacked my base several times, but I always managed to make it a tie, at worst (for myself), then I took out his resource outposts and built up my own army (mostly flying units against his mostly ground) and using a contingent of ground units (I left sitting on his northern ex-resource facility) as a distraction, I flew my main force around south and attacked from both sides.  Oh, and all of this was at about -2:30, making it fall into the Unplayable Past rather rapidly (I think we peaked out at -3 as editable*).

Oh, response to a question of sending a unit forward in time:
Yes, you CAN do that.  It's not useful.

*The time at which the timeline enters the unplayable past (with full chrono energy) is seemingly random.  I think it's editable somewhere for multiplayer games, but I've noticed that in campaign maps it ranges from -3:00 to -6:00 for no apparent reason.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2011, 01:52:42 pm »

I think there are a lot more maps available for multiplayer, but as they are community contributions they aren't bundled with the game. You'll have to scour the forums for them.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2011, 01:56:09 pm »

How are they gonna avoid time paradoxes? ???
Definitely watching.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2011, 01:58:16 pm »

Definitely watching.
Indeed. What happens if I go back in time and destroy a factory which has produced units after that point, for example?

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2011, 02:14:20 pm »

Definitely watching.
Indeed. What happens if I go back in time and destroy a factory which has produced units after that point, for example?

I can answer this one from the trailers.

The game updates based on a series of time waves - each wave contains a paradox-free interpretation of the game world. If, for instance, a factory produces a unit, and the unit then travels back in time and destroys its factory, then the next time wave to come along will notice the unit was never built and will rebuild the factory while vanishing the unit. The next time wave notices that the unit was built, recreates the unit, and destroys the factory. This repeats, with the game oscillating between factory and unit, until the action falls off the end of the timeline; depending on exactly how long it takes to fall off the timeline, you might end up with either the factory or the unit.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11