Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Achron: Time Travel RTS - Demo out!  (Read 18096 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Achron: Time Travel RTS
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2011, 01:02:24 am »

Looking at that screenshot... is that really what the units look like? Nothing was moving and it took me several seconds to figure out which unit was which (I think... anti-air has one black rectangle/barrel and the others have 2?). That's kinda sad.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2011, 11:26:11 am »

Most of the reviews I've been able to find are pretty negative and I can't see myself taking the plunge yet given the price.  If they'd knocked 50% off then their sales would have likely been increased dramatically by impulse buyers, myself included.

They should also definitely sack the graphics team.  The visuals aren't merely uninspiring, but plain ugly from what I've seen.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:30:56 am by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2011, 11:36:35 am »

I have to admit, I can't buy it at that price as just a download. Maybe there will be a Steam sale in the near future.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2011, 12:29:41 pm »

I have to admit, I can't buy it at that price as just a download. Maybe there will be a Steam sale in the near future.

I agree, I expected it to go for closer to $20 than $40.  And I thought the current graphics were a placeholder 6 months ago.

KG

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2011, 12:49:37 pm »

They were indeed supposed to only be placeholder graphics, I'm pretty sure.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2011, 12:52:19 pm »

I think they had to divert most of the team to pathfinding and engine optimization, because IIRC, the lead dev once stated that due to the strain imposed by the time travle mechanics, they essentially can only devote an amount of resources to pathfinding similar to what Tiberian Sun had to work with.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2011, 01:35:32 pm »

I heard it was at the level of Starcraft 1 pathfinding.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2011, 01:47:58 pm »

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2011, 01:48:40 pm »

Given how vultures often couldn't get up simply paths... it could be?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2011, 01:53:06 pm »

bad thing

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2011, 02:03:04 pm »

Well, Starcraft was able to work fine for a while, but that could've just been really good microing overriding the pathing problems.
Still isn't a good thing, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2011, 02:08:59 pm »

I've rarely had a problem with SC1's pathfinding. There are easy ways around it, such as group up before attacking, multiple groups, or simply give them short paths.

Also, I can't think one of one RTS that I like that auto groups. More often than not, your unit will go in single file line.

Game such as any mod in the Spring Engine, CnC games, and Empire Earth 2 all have line pathing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:11:06 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2011, 02:13:25 pm »

I've rarely had a problem with SC1's pathfinding. There are easy ways around it, such as group up before attacking, multiple groups, or simply give them short paths.

Also, I can't think one of one RTS that I like that auto groups. More often than not, your unit will go in single file line.

Game such as any mod in the Spring Engine, CnC games, and Empire Earth 2 all have line pathing.

Though in a game like Archon, you sort of want to have good pathfinding.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2011, 03:16:22 pm »

Yeah the pathing is rather annoying at times, though you quickly get used to it.
One thing I did notice about the campaign is that the ability to jump back in time gives you a false feeling of security, because the game doesn't hold any hands and will kill you irrevocably if you screw up. You may be able to repair one mistake, but a few in a row are going to be troublesome.
One positive note is that the graphics are better then I expected. Sure, they're not top-notch, but I can't really say it's impossible to tell two units from each other. Then again, I've been playing Zero-K for so long that I'm probably used to these things. Also, apparently the units are supposed to have an ugly outline, but I'm not seeing that on low settings, so maybe it's something that comes into play at higher graphics settings?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:18:01 pm by Virex »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2011, 05:41:57 am »

in spring engine you can actually draw a freeform line and the unit will form up on that!

btw.

achron is truly impressive. I've played it from the early betas, but now everything feels a lot more polished.

I really like they've not put constraints (or very few) on their engine so that one day when pc will get fast enough one will be able to play with extremely large timelines.

I've yet do discover multiplayer: I guess that is where the game really shines.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11