Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727175 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Increasing skill using changing die and explosive die:

Lv.0, or Basic Level: Single d6. No explode.
Lv.1, or Known Skill: d6>d6. The exploding die keeps the individual result mostly the same, but...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lv.2: Good At Skill: d6>d6+1

This level dosen't stop failures, but enhances explode results to make failures somewhat more bearable. Note that a 1,7 is basically a 2.

Lv.3: Masterful At Skill
d8>d6

Lv.4 Godlike
d8+1>d6+1

---

I've personally wanted to use a d12 exploding die system: d12>d6, or d12>d4.

d12 would offer a wider variety of success/failure, but I'm actually using it as a skill value. You roll a d12 when you attempt something, like so:

Dude McGuy has a 0 Lockpicking skill. He tries to pick a lock(10). (5>2)
Dude McGuy fails, and the pick breaks in the lock, jamming itself in the lock. DudeMcGuy can't get the pick out.

or

(8>6) DudeMcGuy almost manages the lock, but the pick slips out right before he can turn the handle. (Temporary +1 to Lockpick)

---

I like that Caged Mind idea. Seems like a nice combo.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

What was your head canon for the Art of Minimalism?

It's a program for re-educating horrible criminals by having them participate in games, refining the system and introducing new limitations each time to try to create as constructive and engaging an experience as possible in the interests of making them productive members of society. Sadly, the criminals' imagination naturally tends toward destruction and violence, so this is an uphill battle at best and a Sisyphean task at worst for the administrator. It just came into my head one day and suddenly, all of it made sense.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:14:47 pm by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

What was your head canon for the Art of Minimalism?

It's a program for re-educating horrible criminals by having them participate in games, refining the system and introducing new limitations each time to try to create as constructive and engaging an experience as possible in the interests of making them productive members of society. Sadly, the criminals' imagination naturally tends toward destruction and violence, so this is an uphill battle at best and a Sisyphean task at worst for the administrator. It just came into my head one day and suddenly, all of it made sense.
That actually makes sense.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

Sorry, but am I the only person who thinks of a face-mounted turret when they hear the word headcanon?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

That would be head cannon.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry, but am I the only person who thinks of a face-mounted turret when they hear the word headcanon?

I imagine it as more of a mouth-mortar than a face-turret (I associate the word "turret" with automated automatic weapons for my own reasons). Just seems more appropriate for the word "cannon".

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE: THE VICTORIAN DATING RTD

You are one of the many Bennett sisters that your damned sister forgot to include in that stupid TV series of hers. They are England's most eligible bachelors. It is the biggest Ball of the season! On your marks, get set, GO!

Spoiler: Character Sheet: (click to show/hide)

Also includes a hidden-from-the-player score representing your target's feelings towards you and much plotting and intrigue.

First one engaged wins!

((I would have sketched this out a bit more but I'm kind of working on something else and this was only the second best other game idea of the day. So if anyone wants to take this...))

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[1] You elope with Mr. Darcy. Your family is shamed for generations.

BAD END

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would play that. I would definitely play that.

Granted, I would try to get into fisticuffs and probably perform arson on the way, but that's what the Melee score is there for, no?

I am, however, curious on what Learning means and what it would be used for. Education? Hitting on scientists and professors?

Finally, I object to a player winning upon engagement. There are many ways to sabotage a marriage in the intervening period, I believe. Entertaining ways.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:13:19 pm by Harry Baldman »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

I agree about the engagement part, and had marriage there instead until 5 seconds before posting. I just thought that it could make the game excessively long... Imagine an engagement period of a year.

I... can't remember what Learning is for.

I think it's because I forgot the sixth stat whilst I was busy doing something else and that's the first thing I thought of.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe Learning could be used for knowing what you're talking about? Like, Wit is used for banter, but Learning - for discussion? This way you could have witty but ultimately vapid characters and awkward but ultimately educated and intelligent people?

And about marriage: first player to get married wins. So you'd have to try your hardest to shorten the engagement period through various methods of manipulation, intimidation and criminality. Very much like any proper Victorian woman.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

manipulation, intimidation and criminality

And masterwork corsets.

Yes, I like that. And the Learning - yes, I think that's what I was probably thinking of. That would then also make it easier to have a more realistic Influence score where Witty types wouldn't necessarily impress Learned types, for example.

edit: I would also totally play this, and I would love to run it, if nothing else than to be able to write up the action Heave my bosom at Mr Darcy on a roll of a [6]. Or a [1].
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:29:26 pm by lawastooshort »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile

So I was struck by an Idea after reading RTRedshirt.

Two RTD's run at the same time. One is in the style of RTRedshirt, with a large-scale loosely run assault on an enemy compund. The other is a more traditional, four-man RTD, as a group of spies utilize the diversion provided by the army and steal an objective from the compound.

That's all I got, I might develop it more later.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I'd play the Pride and Prejudice RtD even though I've never actually been arsed to read the book. Fun times.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

edit: I would also totally play this, and I would love to run it, if nothing else than to be able to write up the action Heave my bosom at Mr Darcy on a roll of a [6]. Or a [1].

Spoiler: Relevant (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 661