Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727177 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

That was based on the assumption that one is always a failure. :P And I don't really see what technical problems could arise. I mean... you rolled a 1, the worst possible outcome, your roll fails (unless you're using like a d100 with a roll-under rule in which case 1 is the best and 100 is the worst or whatever, but I shouldn't have to be so pedantic to get my point across). Also, I believe that's the way it works for skill checks and such in D&D (with the opposite but equal rule being that 20 is always a pass IIRC), so take it up with WOTC. :P
No, unless you're using houserules, 1 being an auto-miss and 20 being an auto-hit only apply to attack rolls and saves. Skill checks and other such things do not use that rule.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Actually, I think I've figured out a way. The bonuses add to the dice size, rather than give direct bonuses. And the new numbers would only be positive results while all the other results remain static. That would give a smooth transition with diminishing returns and keep the chance of failure. It would also work with competitive rolls: Obviously the guy with the bigger die has a better chance.

I had a similar idea with making skills/attributes instead add points to a value which determined what table you would roll, but that didn't work with competitive rolls. However, this does, so I'm a happy camper now.

Well, unless someone can see a very serious flaw with my idea.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

No, unless you're using houserules, 1 being an auto-miss and 20 being an auto-hit only apply to attack rolls and saves. Skill checks and other such things do not use that rule.

I meant saves but I typed skill checks. ^^^; I can't explain why other than my brain doesn't work so good sometimes. But yeah, you're right.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Actually, I think I've figured out a way. The bonuses add to the dice size, rather than give direct bonuses. And the new numbers would only be positive results while all the other results remain static. That would give a smooth transition with diminishing returns and keep the chance of failure. It would also work with competitive rolls: Obviously the guy with the bigger die has a better chance.

I had a similar idea with making skills/attributes instead add points to a value which determined what table you would roll, but that didn't work with competitive rolls. However, this does, so I'm a happy camper now.

Well, unless someone can see a very serious flaw with my idea.
That's more or less Sean Mirrsen's system, isn't it? I never liked that notion because I tend to use physical dice and it sounded a bit complex, but I never saw a downside to it otherwise.

An alternate solution might be allowing rerolls/rolls for salvaging a failure. It's less granular and I'm not sure how much less complex than the aforementioned, but it's an option.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BlasterKyubey210

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's ride
    • View Profile

Mmm, I want to try an experimental RtD rule, using diepools of d6s/d10s for some reason... anyone have advice to make sure the diepools from bonuses don't get too nutty?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

That's more or less Sean Mirrsen's system, isn't it? I never liked that notion because I tend to use physical dice and it sounded a bit complex, but I never saw a downside to it otherwise.
I wouldn't know, I've never looked at it, so if it is it's an idea of completely separate origin.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

I've heard that bigger dice sizes for skills is how the Cortex system (the one the Serenity RPG is based of off) works. And they use regular dice for that. I think, statistically, an increased die size is worse than a +1, on average. Yeah, testing it out on AnyDice, it seems that a +1 has the same average as a die 2 integers larger, and the larger die has a higher standard deviation, meaning you're more likely not to get the higher number than if you had used a +1.

If you want to use this as representing higher skill, the nice thing is that your chance to roll a 1 goes down slightly, though, if you want the chance to succeed to go up, rather than down, that may take some futzing to get it to work right. Possibly you could have it be that a higher skill will give you, first a +1, then a higher dice with another number acting as a success. So, for instance, you'd go from 1d6 (where 6 is a success) to 1d6+1 (where 7 is a success) to 1d8 (where 7 or 8 are a success), which you need because the chance of rolling either 7 or 8 is less than rolling a 7 on the 1d6+1, but adding the probabilities of rolling a 7 or 8 goes from 12.5% individually to 25%, whereas the chance of rolling a 7 on a 1d6+1 is 16.67% (same as rolling a 6 on a 1d6). I mean, you could probably just go with a higher die with one more number acting as a success, but it seems like a bit of a jump. And you can do this all the way up to 1d12+1, or higher if you're willing to use imaginary dice.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

You could also explode the die on critical failures and perhaps apply the bonus to that. It would work like this:

John Smith has a +2 to his Genericness roll. His Genericness is then used in a situation.

Roll: 1-->2+2 = less severe dismal failure.

Roll: 2+2 = 4 = minor success

Roll: 5+2 = 6 = critical success

Roll: 6-->6+2 = the Oh God What The Hell Just Happened Over The Moon Overshot Of Maximum Pain And Destruction

The principle is similar, but I propose it nonetheless because I like the exploding die. It makes the 1-->1 and the 6-->6 much more well-founded and special.

BlasterKyubey210

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's ride
    • View Profile

Yea... I mean with exploding dice, you have at least a final chance to get out of your potential failiure but I'm not too sure then.

The diepool concept on my end gets a bit silly but here's something I'm thinking about:

In short, the distance between Epic Failure and Epic Success gets a bit messy but by couting the number of dice that come up a 5 or 6 (via d6 pools) or 8, 9 and 0 (via d10 pools) would put a nice distance between epic disaster and simply major disaster... the problem is how to modify the modifiers to reflect the diepool system, instead of doing 1 roll.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:06:30 pm by BlasterKyubey210 »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

When I actually stop to think about it for a second, I realized that adding a +1 to a die doesn't change it's probabilities at all, just the numbers that come up. So you could just use a d6, d8, d10, and d12, adding one number to those that count as a success as you go up a die step (6 for d6, 7 and 8 for d8, and so on). And 1 would still be a failure and the probability of it occurring will go down.

Of course, this does limit how high you can go in iterations without using imaginary dice, so it's not a perfect solution for all situations, but it does work if you can limit how readily you give out increasing skills or bonuses. I don't know if a dicepool mechanic would work better; I haven't yet figured out how to put one of those into AnyDice.
Glory to Arstotzka!

BlasterKyubey210

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's ride
    • View Profile

Mmm, I think someone already calclated the odds of a "World of Darkness"-style Diepool roll for a set of d10s...

I'm also not sure if there's a diepool calculator for a d6 for that matter.

http://www.unseelie.org/cgi-bin/dicepo.cgi - Actually Kadzar, try this... though mind you this does NOT include specific quirks that come in some games (Exalted's "10s count as two successes", World of Darkness' "Roll again on a 10 for additional Successes" and such)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:15:29 am by BlasterKyubey210 »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

http://www.unseelie.org/cgi-bin/dicepo.cgi - Actually Kadzar, try this... though mind you this does NOT include specific quirks that come in some games (Exalted's "10s count as two successes", World of Darkness' "Roll again on a 10 for additional Successes" and such)
That's cool, although it only gives the base probabilities of a roll, not the average or standard deviation. It should be somewhat helpful, though I feel I still don't know enough about dicepools to can trust them.
Glory to Arstotzka!

BlasterKyubey210

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's ride
    • View Profile

Yea, although since modifiers in a Diepool format means you add or take away dice instead, at least it helps, right?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Okay, Idea I Will Never Ever Realize (And Anyone Else Is Welcome To Take, Should They Want To And Deem It Not Full Of Utter Suckage) the Sixty-Seventh.

How about this:

The Power Of A Caged Mind: A Dual RTD

Here's the deal: you are a group of convicts of varying degrees of sociopathy, craziness, violence and all sorts of other fun things. All of you are in prison, and even the most harmless of your number is at least 20 years away from freedom. The food sucks, the guards are assholes and you're pretty sure that guy three cells down the block has a fresh new shiv he'd like to introduce to your ribs. Or not. He's kind of crazy that way. The point is, a high-security prison is hardly the vacation destination you imagined yourself being in at this time when you were younger.

However, you think you could escape. It would take a plan, tools, accomplices and possibly a riot, but you're pretty sure you could pull it off, given time, pressure and other factors. You must escape. You are not spending all your life behind bars. This escape has to happen, and it has to happen soon, 'cause you're unsure you could take any more of this place. Especially with that new reeducation program that's in place. Seriously, screw that crap.

What, you don't know about the re-education program? Well, it goes a little bit like this: the prison's taking part in a re-education experiment using something called "Virtual Reality". Sounds like bullshit to you, but hey, you're in prison, so what do you know. You see, they want you to log at least 1 hour a day in VR where you wield virtually unlimited powers and cannot permanently die. Sounds like all fun and games, right? Newsflash: it isn't. You have to spend this hour doing something constructive, usually to accomplish some kind of lame-ass objective the warden sets out for you. If you don't, well, you get sent for analysis. And analysis doesn't just take a whole day, it's also apparently ridiculously painful and somewhat debilitating. So you have to dance like a monkey for the warden and hope it's not your noggin that gets electrodes stuck to it the next day. Fun, eh?

To make a long story short: you need to escape this fucking nightmare. Right the fuck now.

Spoiler: How Does This Work? (click to show/hide)

I got this idea from mixing together Roll to Roll to Dodge with my very own headcanon background explanation for the Art of Minimalism RTDs. Whaddaya think?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:43:56 pm by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Very good.
What was your head canon for the Art of Minimalism?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 661