Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 165

Author Topic: Fiefdoms @ War: Fluff Thread  (Read 73636 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fiefdoms @ War: Fluff Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2011, 03:44:48 pm »

As for mountains, check the terrain map.  I'll add it to the OP of this thread.  Sordell is hills and mountains, whilst Farland is largely rolling plains and steppe.  That does not mean that Farland is entirely flatland, there may be some hills, but that it is not a region defined by its hilliness.  As a rule, assume that terrains have some degree of variation and that the terrain map describes general terrain over a wide area.

So there could be at least six mountains in a chain in the Farlands ( If you say  no I will begin editing my fluff, and backstory )

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2011, 03:49:36 pm »

Yes.  It was a fairly orderly decay as crumbling of civilisations go.  Compare the decline and fall of the Roman Empire in its later years; gradually the ability to hold territory decreased until only the core of the empire remained, whilst the other regions deprived of their connection with the central empire crumbled into decay and stagnation.  Much knowledge was lost by comparison.

The Old Empire is more technologically advanced than you are right now, certainly.  It won't make it much easier for you to research techs in terms of the 'another faction has it' bonus, and it won't count towards the 'five players to public domain' bonus.  But the Old Empire and some of the richer neutral territories will have access to tech you have not yet researched.  Conquering those territories will give you bonuses to researching said techs.

The Old Empire is absurdly powerful by comparison to any of the current player empires but it is so tied up in bureaucracy, corruption and isolationism that it is unlikely it will ever bother to invade other countries unless it is provoked into war.  I have been asked about making trade treaties with the Old Empire, and my answer is that the OE will not even recognise you as a valid nation until you have at the very least united a former country (such as Garnlish).  Expect any dealings with the OE to be extremely costly, given the potential benefits of having them even nominally on your side.

The OE has access to resources, but not resources that you would not be able to access in other parts of the world.  It has access to iron and copper for certain, but that's a result of the territories within its influence.  I shall not say more than that.

Mountains?  No.  Small hills, I would accept.  Six mountains is a range, and would really need to be Hilly territory at least.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2011, 03:52:16 pm »

Ok I will edit my fluff.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2011, 03:52:48 pm »

Good thing I am not going to get involved with the Old Empire for mercilessly dropping my races free popluation from 90-something percent to 8%.

Assholes.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2011, 03:54:18 pm »

Gnome are more traditionally connected with hills anyway.

Also it looks like plan: Attack OE! Is going to take a set back.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2011, 03:56:14 pm »

The Old Empire core territories are very, very developed.  They have plenty of industry buildings, a very high infrastructure level and very high basic revenue.  One OE core territory makes more than the whole of your present empire.  They are a very rich reward and consummately defended.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2011, 03:57:18 pm »

And odds are they currently have the only flying units too.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2011, 03:57:50 pm »

If we do attack, we'd have to use all our force to take it down. And then it will be all crumpets and wine for us to take over the world.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2011, 04:03:09 pm »

If we do attack, we'd have to use all our force to take it down. And then it will be all crumpets and wine for us to take over the world.

Yeah. Forget that. To take it over on any timely basis we will need the help of everyone!

So, who wants to join a temporary alliance with the express purpose taking down the old empire?

Cause unless Iituem was using some hyperbole there the only two ways of taking down the empire would be the entire industrial output of the world or to heavily heavily develop ones own country for many many turns.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2011, 04:05:54 pm »

I think its too early to be talking of removing the Old Empire. Maybe we shouldn't worry about that in till late-game.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2011, 04:06:42 pm »

A promotion of unity is never to early to start.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2011, 04:07:43 pm »

I think its too early to be talking of removing the Old Empire. Maybe we shouldn't worry about that in till late-game.

The thought inside JF's brain say " Yes after we kill the gnomes. "

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2011, 04:08:00 pm »

Mid-game, otherwise we'll never remove them as rewardingly.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2011, 04:08:59 pm »

Yay we would most likely die trying to beat them.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2011, 04:10:40 pm »

The thought inside JF's brain say " Yes after we kill the gnomes. "

Although totally true, it is pretty weird considering he has the single most to gain from the empires fall and the least of everyone to gain from the gnomes fall.

Yay we would most likely die trying to beat them.

I am not saying we attack NOW. Just we start getting ready. And get a plan.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 165