Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 165

Author Topic: Fiefdoms @ War: Fluff Thread  (Read 73627 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fiefdoms @ War: Fluff Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 03:17:45 pm »

Hah hah.

Hard to steal something the internet ate huh?
Just about impossible ;D.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 03:21:26 pm »

@ JF -

I removed the hunting part because I realized it is dum, and I am not pulling stuff out my ass, because I already had quite a bit of this worked out, and it is hard to rip something off I neve saw.

@Adwarf: The Farlands happen to be fields....

@JF: I see no trace of this well developed lore...

That does not mean it is all fields. The first gnome city is made inside of six combining mountains.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 03:23:13 pm »

There isn't much elevation change in that region, so I doubt that. hills maybe though.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 03:23:59 pm »

If Itieum says no then I will change it until then it stays.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 03:25:05 pm »

Right, GM goes then. Understood.

I'm just saying that farlands doesn't have mountains, not saying the gnomes didn't come from one.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 03:29:09 pm »

@JF: I see no trace of this well developed lore...

I had a lot written down, but then again, my internet decided to crash. So yeah.

And yeah, perhaps its just my constant state of annoyance toward adwarf and my paranoid nature getting the better of me...

Ninja'd 4 times. :P
Right, GM goes then. Understood.

I'm just saying that farlands doesn't have mountains, not saying the gnomes didn't come from one.

It doesn't. I checked.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 03:30:52 pm »

I know, they could've came from the Sordell mountains though.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 03:32:13 pm »

Yes, That'd make more sense.

But why would a race of little and weak people migrate to flat-lands? It doesn't match up...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 03:33:18 pm »

Farmlands perhaps. or a bunch of dwarves opening up hell in the mountain :D.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 03:34:49 pm »

I guess.

And why do I feel like I passed up a great opportunity for an Objection?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:37:08 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2011, 03:37:55 pm »

I haven't bothered combing this thread for inaccuracies yet, since I'm busy doing the turn.  What I will say is this much;

The Arcanan Empire at its height reached Renaissance-level technologies verging on steampunk.  The problem is that a lot of it relied on magic and power supplied by the Master Wizard, and the bigger problem was that the stability of the empire hinged upon the fact that the Master Wizard could basically wipe out whole villages with a flick of his fingers if he so desired.  This sort of thing encourages obedience.

The problem is that the aforesaid technologies were reached only during the very early part of the full Empire, at which point there was something of a dearth of intellectualism and free thought.  Technology stagnated for a few hundred years, and was highly localised - the best technology all remained in the central continent of Imperia, where the capital of Empire was.  Most of the rest of the world was left in pre-industrial and sometimes even dark ages underdevelopment because it was not worth developing.  Why bother improving the conditions of slaves when all you want is their natural resources to fund the lifestyle of the core citizens?

When the Master Wizard died not only did all of the spells he supported (save the Spell of Mastery) start to unravel and fade away, invalidating many of the pieces of technology that relied on it, but the everpresent threat of arcane Armageddon vanished with him.  Once it was discovered that new wizards could not be trained to replace him because of the Spell of Mastery it fell to the mundane Imperial legions to try and keep control.  Now, you would think this might actually cause an improvement of technology because of the need for competition.  You would be wrong.

The Imperial Legions were too few in number to stop uprisings across the whole world, but they were still large enough in number and powerful enough in equipment to crush any one rebellion.  The lack of infrastructure across the remainder of the empire was what led to its collapse, as all the underdeveloped regions stopped paying taxes and started fighting amongst themselves for dominion when they realised the Master Wizard would no longer blast them with fire from the sky.  In these outer regions, especially the continents of Northbrand and Southrel, the legions simply abandoned them to their own fight and without the stability or infrastructure to engage in serious research warfare remained pretty constant and things just deteriorated further.

The central continent has suffered a similar fate; as the Old Empire withdrew its borders decade after decade, control and civilisation fell to the individual territories.  Some were better at maintaining their fare than others; many descended into anarchy and others were rotted from within by decay and corruption.  In essence, five centuries of decadence, infighting and stagnation have been killing the whole world.

So technologically, the world has regressed heavily over the last thousand years.  But once, it verged on steampunk.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2011, 03:40:39 pm »

As for mountains, check the terrain map.  I'll add it to the OP of this thread.  Sordell is hills and mountains, whilst Farland is largely rolling plains and steppe.  That does not mean that Farland is entirely flatland, there may be some hills, but that it is not a region defined by its hilliness.  As a rule, assume that terrains have some degree of variation and that the terrain map describes general terrain over a wide area.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2011, 03:42:36 pm »

So, at one point it had bumped from medieval to Steampunk, but then fell back to Dark ages?

As for mountains, check the terrain map.  I'll add it to the OP of this thread.  Sordell is hills and mountains, whilst Farland is largely rolling plains and steppe.  That does not mean that Farland is entirely flatland, there may be some hills, but that it is not a region defined by its hilliness.  As a rule, assume that terrains have some degree of variation and that the terrain map describes general terrain over a wide area.
This is also what I was assuming. Like in Grassland there was the occastional small to medium sized forest, and in Hills it wasn't all bumpy.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 03:43:41 pm »

That brings up the question then of what is left of the old empire, does that have techs we don't? Will that make it easier for us to research starting techs? Will that make it so that the more basic techs will pass into public domain after only four players obtain them?

Ect ect?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 03:44:38 pm »

And do they have resources we don't have?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 165