Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348847 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1605 on: January 14, 2012, 02:41:54 pm »

Do we have timberwolves yet?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: January 14, 2012, 03:05:43 pm »

They+ everything else will be in the next version of the mod. Probably.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: January 14, 2012, 03:14:09 pm »

Okay, before anyone asks, no, we do not need super-strong baby ponies. Please. :P

But think of all the !!Fun!! the Foal Snatchers will have!

Snatcher! Protect the foals!
Pumpkin Cake cancels sleep: Interrupted by Snatcher.
The Foal Pumpkin Cake is fighting!
The Foal bashes the Snatcher in the head with her horn, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing apart the brain!

The Snatcher has been knocked unconcious!
The Snatcher has suffocated.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 03:16:53 pm by Zarhon »
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

thetyler101

• Bay Watcher
  • [SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: January 14, 2012, 04:59:44 pm »

Soooo... I guess Dwarf Fortress random cast births are cannon now?

Sweet!  8)

Give that bitch some stone crafts, bitches love stone crafts.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: January 14, 2012, 05:28:45 pm »

That's probably where they got the inspiration from :P
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: January 14, 2012, 08:48:07 pm »

When I set savagery to high, I can't seem to find any pony settlements at the world map.  Diomedian ponies, and some rainbow ponies, but no regular ponies.

Also, what are the settlements with no prefix (not "Buffalo Forest Retreat", "Human Fortress", "Rainbow Pony Hamlet", etc; just "Forest Retreat", "Hamlet")?  Are those the regular ponies?  If so.... derp.

That'd be odd. What you should do is check the civilisations in the legends mode, see if there are any actual pony civs. The regular pony sites should be marked as "Pony Whatever". What size world are you playing? You need quite a big one with all the different civs.

Do we have timberwolves yet?

I might add basic timberwolves, but I'm considering adding them when I do zap apples, which will have to wait for the next update, to see if I can use the were system to transform fruitless zapple trees based on weather conditions. Then, timberwolves would be a subcaste of zapple trees that are normally docile little pups, but were up as/just before zapples bloom, depending on how finely it can be controlled, so that they're always around when a herd of wild zapple trees are moving across the map, but only go crazy at blooming time. If this all works, special breeds of tree that transform based on other weather conditions or phases of the moon will be sensible extras.

That's probably where they got the inspiration from :P

Most episodes showing now were written over a year ago, whereas the first version of the mod went live in March. I do sometimes wonder if some little references have been sneaked in, like Rainbow Dash calling her pet turtle Tank. It's a perfectly sensible thing to say if tanks are what we'd normally assume they are, but it could also be like calling a pet cat Tiger.

Neat little thing I'll probably save for the Ornate version: flying unicorns. It's not possible to do it randomly, so it would have to be a new caste which adds to the wall of text wall of text for adventurers picking their creature caste.

Question regarding foo rainbow jays: Since the caste names and descriptions aren't showing up, I'll have to split the vermin into individual creatures so we actually get the blue, red, pink, green, and so on versions actually showing up visibly. The problem this creates is that it will mean splitting the rainbow jay pegs into different creatures, which I don't want to do, making rainbow jays an unspawning creature, which creates problems with a phantom showing up in prefstrings, or just making a new rainbow jay pegasus creature that doesn't draw data from rainbow jays at all. So unless someone's worked out how to make variant animals draw from several creatures cleanly, it's picking which inelegant solution we want. One possible way to "fix" the phantom prefstring problem is to make more fanciful creatures with materials defined or add materials to animals that don't have tissues for them so ponies can have preferences for jabberwocky tooth or horse feather, which is basically making cover traffic to hide the bug. Although, they will currently get preferences for chicken tooth and such, so it's not like it's unprecedented.

So which solution do people prefer? Splitting rainbow jay pegs, the phantom rainbow jay or just a new creature?

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: January 14, 2012, 09:47:17 pm »

@Jayponies.

Just make a new creature with the colors being castes. Seems simple to me.
Most episodes showing now were written over a year ago, whereas the first version of the mod went live in March. I do sometimes wonder if some little references have been sneaked in, like Rainbow Dash calling her pet turtle Tank. It's a perfectly sensible thing to say if tanks are what we'd normally assume they are, but it could also be like calling a pet cat Tiger.

Well, to be fair, the pegusi have had a military streak in them down to there city.Seeing that she is as "Fast as a bullet" in her own words, it figures that she names her pet after a weapon of way.

Also, fiddling with a idea about making semimegabeast pony versions of vanilla megabeasts, besides the collossi, and thought that perhapes I should have asked if your were planing to make them yourself, Nido.

Dragonponies, away!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:56:34 pm by Pokon »
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: January 15, 2012, 12:37:02 am »

The problem with a new creature is that it doesn't update changes when the original gets changed. I know that's a fairly trivial thing, but it's a bit sloppy to my mind.

Nope, not planning anything like that. Current megabeast plans are more towards royal animal ponies and the hippogriffs and other hybrids. I suppose pony giants, cyclopses and ettins might be a sensible outgrowth of that, using some creature variation templates. Hmm,  a pony ettin with one head a unicorn, the other a gorlak? That could be fun.

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: January 15, 2012, 06:52:09 am »

Also, fiddling with a idea about making semimegabeast pony versions of vanilla megabeasts, besides the collossi, and thought that perhapes I should have asked if your were planing to make them yourself, Nido.

Dragonponies, away!

Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: January 15, 2012, 07:48:59 am »

Re: Jays
The caste level names and descriptions should show up. Can I see the Raws to check they're set up correctly? As for colour, there's a token that can change the colour of the creature (in gameplay) at caste level, I can't remember the exact token at the moment but it should work for any non-intelligent race (due to profession colours taking priority).
EDIT: I may be misinterpreting something. We're talking about the bird, right?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:51:24 am by NobodyPro »

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: January 15, 2012, 08:34:53 am »

Yes, I'm talking about rainbow jays, the bird vermin. Here's the code:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's been a while since I've seen one, but I seem to remember them lacking prefstrings and descriptions. I'm pretty sure the fine details are being culled or not being shown for vermin, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Dragonponies, away!

This reminds me, after the next update I'd better get cracking on sweets and puddings, so I can add

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: January 15, 2012, 09:06:41 am »

Are the caste colors working. They should.
Does appearance colouration show. Oh, and judging by "She likes purring maggots for there etc." vermin status shouldn't interfere with prefstrings. PREEDIT: I can't remember the purring maggot's prefstring. That's a bad sign and calls for science.

As for the rest, let's experiment.
Remove the DESCRIPTION and CASTE_NAME from the top of the entry. They are either cancelling the later iterations or are redundant.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: January 15, 2012, 02:52:26 pm »

Oh, just had a very amusing seige on my fort:

My lovely little zebras have no actual weapons, but are all trained in the fine art of smashing ponies with there hooves until they die. I have a single royal, and he was attacked by a bear who had a love of breaking legs.

However, while the only sieges so far where from the dromidens, I now have to face Buffalo. My little zebras where almost all killed, including the royal and the few actual fighters I had. All for one. A single adada fought them all with nothing but her hooves and her teeth. Now reduced to five zebras, one of which is a baby, there is much fun in store for the remaining zebras. Mostly because of the forgotton beast rampaging down in the miners quarters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: January 15, 2012, 03:24:38 pm »

Are the caste colors working. They should.
Does appearance colouration show. Oh, and judging by "She likes purring maggots for there etc." vermin status shouldn't interfere with prefstrings. PREEDIT: I can't remember the purring maggot's prefstring. That's a bad sign and calls for science.

As for the rest, let's experiment.
Remove the DESCRIPTION and CASTE_NAME from the top of the entry. They are either cancelling the later iterations or are redundant.

Later iterations always override previous ones, so it's not much of a problem.

EDIT: How would I go about making creatures leave behind dyes when they die? Could I use already existing materials, or would I have to define a new one with the PAINT_MAT reaction class?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:20:41 pm by Putnam »

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: January 16, 2012, 02:23:35 am »

My Little Fortress Sprite pack (18x18)

Now v.03

Pony Language File ||  Griffon Language File || Buffalo and Diamond Dog Language Files || Cave & Diomedes Pony Language Files

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Well, I managed to throw together some sprites and get them working in Dwarf fortress today.  Most of these sprites, however, were created from vectors from DA and are probably not optimized for dwarf fortress.  In the Zip, I have provided a PSD with all the sprites I used.

The sprites:

SS showing the sprites in use.

Cant seem to attach so here's the link: Sprite Pack

The problem with the initial attempt to get sprites was that I think adecoy95 forgot to change all the Dwarves in the job entries to what ever he put under [TITLE_PAGE] as [STANDARD:dwarf:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT] reverences the graphics file titled dwarf while [STANDARD:PONY:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT] references the graphics file titled pony.

The header for mine looks like: (I've bolded the changes and slightly edited for clarity)

I have included in the zip, the PSD with each of the individual sprites I used. I'm sure some of yall could do way better than me and so I encourage yall to spruce them up (especially since half way through I gave up on finding "appropriate ponies" and went with whatever ponies I had yet to use.)  The sprites are 18x18 as I am using them with IronHands Graphics.

If you want to Downsample it to a different size, I'd recommend using the "Nearest neighbor" option as it preserves sprites quite well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:32:33 pm by Tecknojock »
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 140