Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348829 times)

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1635 on: January 21, 2012, 12:14:10 am »

Apparently while ponies find torturing as an example unthinkable and torturing for info exilable, they permit torturing for fun  :o

Cupcakes!

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: January 21, 2012, 04:22:44 am »

Pony Language File
(English)
Griffon Language File || Zebra Language File ||  Buffalo and Diamond Dog Language Files || Cave & Diomedes Pony Language Files || 18x18 Pony Sprite Pack
Pinkie was pretty secretive about that though. Quite clearly it wasn't accepted.

In other news, I created a language file called Equine. Basically I just converted all the dwarven words to english.  I changed the Selected and Culled symbols under Entity_Pony to help alleviate some of the more negative names and focus on more positive ones.  The random name generator sometimes gets it right now, for example my last fortress was called Raindawn.  If you wish to test it out do the following:

NOTE: DO NOT ADD THESE CHANGES TO ANY EXISTING WORLD FILES. IT TENDS TO RESULT IN A CTD

replace the [SELECT_SYMBOL] section with this in entity_pony.txt
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:WAR:NAME_WAR]
[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:WAR:ASSERTIVE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:BATTLE:NAME_BATTLE]
[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:BATTLE:ASSERTIVE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:SIEGE:NAME_SIEGE]
[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:SIEGE:ASSERTIVE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:ROAD:NAME_ROAD]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:TUNNEL:NAME_TUNNEL]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:BRIDGE:NAME_BRIDGE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:WALL:NAME_WALL]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:NATURE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:FLOWERY]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:FOOD]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:LIGHT]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:MAGIC]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:PEACE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:SKY]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:UNTOWARD]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:RESTRAIN]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:AQUATIC]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:SUBORDINATE]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:NEGATIVE]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:UGLY]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:DEATH]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:OLD]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:VIOLENT]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:EVIL]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:NEGATOR]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:PRIMITIVE]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:MYSTERY]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:WILD]

replace [TRANSLATION:DWARF] with [TRANSLATION:EQUINE]

and add language_EQUINE.txt to your raw files.

Next I'm going to convert it all into swahili next for zebra, some native american language for buffalo, and some middle-eastern language for lions. I'll play with the symbols for all races so that names fit general racial temperaments.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:42:10 am by Tecknojock »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: January 21, 2012, 04:37:25 am »

Apparently while ponies find torturing as an example unthinkable and torturing for info exilable, they permit torturing for fun  :o
It's a reference to the pranking in episode 5.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: January 21, 2012, 07:18:36 am »

Pinkie was pretty secretive about that though. Quite clearly it wasn't accepted.

In other news, I created a language file called Equine. Basically I just converted all the dwarven words to english.  I changed the Selected and Culled symbols under Entity_Pony to help alleviate some of the more negative names and focus on more positive ones.  The random name generator sometimes gets it right now, for example my last fortress was called Raindawn.  If you wish to test it out do the following:

replace the [SELECT_SYMBOL] section with this in entity_pony.txt
-snip-

replace [TRANSLATION:DWARF] with [TRANSLATION:EQUINE]

and add language_EQUINE.txt to your raw files.

Next I'm going to convert it all into swahili next for zebra, some native american language for buffalo, and some middle-eastern language for lions. I'll play with the symbols for all races so that names fit general racial temperaments.
Thank you! Ponies with Dwarven names were kinda bugging me.

Also, on a different note, I'm working on zebras on my own graphic set. Just need soldiers, right now.

EDIT: Should've edited that out earlier.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:03:31 pm by Jack_Bread »

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: January 21, 2012, 11:04:26 am »

New episode is best episode. Shame there's not much obvious mod material apart from the various new plants/foodstuffs. Cherry ents? Cherrychangas? Pony-driven trade caravans?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: January 21, 2012, 12:15:55 pm »

Zebra Language File
(Swahili)
Pony Language File ||  Griffon Language File || Buffalo and Diamond Dog Language Files || Cave & Diomedes Pony Language Files || 18x18 Pony Sprite Pack

If you wish to test it out do the following:

NOTE: DO NOT ADD THESE CHANGES TO ANY EXISTING WORLD FILES. IT TENDS TO RESULT IN A CTD

replace the [SELECT_SYMBOL] section with this in entity_pony_zebra.txt
[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:WAR:ASSERTIVE]
[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:BATTLE:ASSERTIVE]
[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:SIEGE:ASSERTIVE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:NATURE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:GOOD]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:MYSTERY]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:PEACE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:THOUGHT]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:BALANCE]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:UGLY]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:DEATH]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:OLD]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:VIOLENT]

replace [TRANSLATION:GOBLIN] with [TRANSLATION:ZEBRA]

and add language_ZEBRA.txt to your raw files.

I'm having trouble getting native american. It seems those languages require context to get anything so I'll find some other language for google translate to use.

Also, I'm considering using EQUINE (engilsh) for Cave Ponies, Rainbow Ponies, and Diomedian Ponies and just modifying the symbols they can use. Any objections/better suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:33:14 pm by Tecknojock »

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: January 21, 2012, 01:37:11 pm »

New episode is best episode. Shame there's not much obvious mod material apart from the various new plants/foodstuffs. Cherry ents? Cherrychangas? Pony-driven trade caravans?

Well, I've got one idea:

[COLOR:DERPY]
   [NAME:derpy]
   [RGB:112:128:144]

To be added as an eye colour. True, it'll result in the odd pony that likes the colour derpy, and maybe even derpy demons, but that just makes it cooler.

Love those sprites, Technojock. One point, tanks are blue skinned with rainbow shells: That's why Rainbow Dash was worried about looking like one in Art of the Dress, according to my head canon. I'll have a look at those language files later, but would you mind me folding them into the main mod? Oh, and the torture for fun thing is a reference the pranking like jaxy said. It also makes worldgen more fun.
 For languages, the name for sacred flying buffalo comes from the Lakota name for the Thunderbird, so that might be a language to look at, just use the base words. Yes, it won't make much sense, but most languages don't once DF's gotten a hold of them, English is quite weird to take to it as well as it does. That or find a random word generator and feed it a Native American ruleset.
 For other pony kinds, I've sort of got it into my head that cave ponies speak Icelandic, mostly inspired by the Scandinavia and the World comics, like this one. Playing around with lava, living right on the hellmouth, sounds like the dwarf ponies.
 Thinking back, in Sisterhooves Social, the poster for the event said "Sihovi Ivciovcno" or something like that. At the time we started wondering if that meant the pony language should sound Slavic and have English portmanteaus. If the idea of regular ponies speaking Russian or similar isn't popular, then diomedians speaking it would be a nice reference to Glitterglen, where they speak Nadsat(That reminds me, I stopped trying to keep up with whatever the funk was going on in that thread a few months back, I should have another look some time).
 For Rainbows, just mixing up the languages for the other groups makes most sense.

Been working on a little add-on the last couple of days, that badger mod I mentioned a while back. I've added various real types of badgers, sand badgers, anakumas, ferret badger, hog badgers, black and speckled honey badgers, tayas, and some crazy made-up ones, wooly badgers, grizzly badgers(One test fort had "ere the grizzly badgers get hungry" in the embark message), cave badgers, silky badgers, tiger badgers(based on the honey badger, orange with black stripes on top, black with orange stripes everywhere else) and a fun little addition down in the depths. I'm gonna release it separately, after I've gotten the various giant, man and pony variants sorted. Should only be a couple of days, unless this sneezing is the start of something awful.

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: January 21, 2012, 02:21:44 pm »

Griffon Language File
(Latinized Arabic)
Pony Language File || Zebra Language File || Buffalo and Diamond Dog Language Files || Cave & Diomedes Pony Language Files || 18x18 Pony Sprite Pack

replace the [SELECT_SYMBOL] section with this in entity_pony_lion.txt
[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:WAR:VIOLENT]
[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:BATTLE:VIOLENT]
[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:SIEGE:VIOLENT]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:ARTIFICE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:EARTH]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:FIRE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:NAME_PEAK]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:SKY]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:ASSERTIVE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:VIOLENT]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:DOMESTIC]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:EVIL]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:FLOWERY]

replace [TRANSLATION:HUMAN] with [TRANSLATION:LION]

and add language_LION.txt to your raw files.

I kind of like english normal ponies, but I will do Diomedian as Russian and Cave ones as icelandic. I suppose I can write a script to cycle language file words for rainbow ponies.  As for just generating a list of native american words, that will be a little bit tougher than just finding a language google translate supports. I'm using that plus a script I wrote to generate the list.

I don't think you will find much of interest in the language files, as it's basically just a word list, but they do need some cleaning up. I think there may still be a couple _verb or other such notations in the translations.  Also, some of the Arabic turned out unpronounceable once I latinized it.  Feel free to include it in the release.  You can include the sprite pack as well if you wish.

I'll fix the tanks in the next sprite release.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:33:28 pm by Tecknojock »

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: January 21, 2012, 03:04:12 pm »

Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: January 21, 2012, 03:17:52 pm »

Cave & Diomedes Pony Language File
(Icelandic and Slovak respectivly)
Pony Language File || Zebra Language File ||  Griffon Language File || Buffalo and Diamond Dog Language Files || 18x18 Pony Sprite Pack

In entity_pony_cave.txt replace [TRANSLATION:DWARF] with [TRANSLATION:CAVE]

In entity_pony_diomedes.txt replace [TRANSLATION:DWARF] with [TRANSLATION:DIO]

and add language_Cave.txt and language_DIO.txt to your raw files.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:31:53 pm by Tecknojock »

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: January 21, 2012, 05:18:07 pm »

Buffalo and Diamond Dog Language File
(Nahuatl and Dutch respectivly)
Pony Language File || Zebra Language File ||  Griffon Language File || Cave & Diomedes Pony Language Files || 18x18 Pony Sprite Pack

In entity_pony_buffalo.txt replace [TRANSLATION:DWARF] with [TRANSLATION:BUFFO]

In entity_pony_dog.txt add [TRANSLATION:DOG]

and add language_BUFFO.txt and language_DOG.txt to your raw files.

Rainbow Ponies

Mixing languages like you suggested looks really bad, instead my suggesting is for rainbow ponies just pick your favorite dialect and use that for [TRANSLATION:]

@Nidokoenig I also uploaded a file called language_wordlist.txt which contains the list of words used by DF. If you want another language for something, PM me that wordlist converted into whatever language and I can use my script to generate a new language file for you.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:35:38 pm by Tecknojock »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: January 21, 2012, 05:23:42 pm »

Hmmm. Teckno, would you mind uploading the script/providing the same service for us? It does look really useful.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: January 21, 2012, 05:24:51 pm »

Alright, fine, I'll upload it but I guess that means I'll need to comment on it so that it's actually understandable  :P

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: January 21, 2012, 05:25:32 pm »

Yay! :P
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: January 21, 2012, 06:48:48 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 140