Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348887 times)

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1530 on: December 30, 2011, 10:42:14 pm »

16 new reactions, one for each colour, and 1328 new materials for all the varieties of painted stone, plus adding reaction product tags to all existing stone. If anypony wants to look at how the woodpainting works and adapt it, I'll include it, but it's some pretty tiresome busywork when I've got more interesting things to get working. The main problem with the current paint system is getting hold of dye plants, and there needs to be some underground. I'll probably move a few existing ones underground, like clownsbane. I'd probably also want to include magma-safe paints if I was going to include painting stone, and that's beyond DF's tech level and sensible boundaries of magic.

Is it really necessary to build all those individual reactions? Isn't there an option that would accept just any stone and change it into something else? That way you'd only need 16 right?
Working on the "Dwarf Fortress Mod Creation Kit"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102881.0

GO BUY STARFARER NOW!!!! It's crazy awesome!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: December 31, 2011, 12:46:03 am »

(emphasis mine)
16 new reactions, one for each colour, and 1328 new materials for all the varieties of painted stone, plus adding reaction product tags to all existing stone. If anypony wants to look at how the woodpainting works and adapt it, I'll include it, but it's some pretty tiresome busywork when I've got more interesting things to get working. The main problem with the current paint system is getting hold of dye plants, and there needs to be some underground. I'll probably move a few existing ones underground, like clownsbane. I'd probably also want to include magma-safe paints if I was going to include painting stone, and that's beyond DF's tech level and sensible boundaries of magic.

Is it really necessary to build all those individual reactions? Isn't there an option that would accept just any stone and change it into something else? That way you'd only need 16 right?
only if you want 16 different colors of painted stone.
the bulk of the work, however is that you need to define each color of paint for each type of stone as a seperate material. at 16 colors each, It adds up pretty quick.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: December 31, 2011, 01:57:30 am »

16 reactions is going to be necessary because it's not possible to randomise the product or make it dependent on more than one reagent, you have to tell the game to give you "Material Reaction Product: Pony Blue Wood" from the log, you can't have the dye modify which one it picks, hence the 16 reactions, one for each dye.
 The new materials would be for if it was "blue painted gold nugget" and so on, so, yes, if by changing it into something else you mean transmuting galena into gold nuggets, for example, that'd bypass the business with new materials.
 With that, though, there's the issue of balancing the ability to make, for example, iron ores or fluxes, or indeed any notably useful stone, that way, so I'd have to work out intermediary stages, material costs and other delays. I suppose it could be possible to make up 16 new types of stone and add a plant that can be crafted into any of them. Things like cloudstone, moonstone, sunstone, a stonecrafter uses the herb(or an extract derived from it) to harness a primeval force and make stone out of clouds, moonlight, sunlight, or whatever. That way you can have any colour you want, and it doesn't do much, if any, damage to game balance, provided I don't make them magma safe or ores, since growing the plant and doing the spells is just replacing mining stuff out.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: December 31, 2011, 02:59:35 am »

I was thinking of doing something with Lays_unusual_eggs for my flutterciv. (which I need to get back to my test fort of G1 and play out, to see if anything goes horribly worng with the ratios being so far tweaked and whatnot, before I can start on..)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: December 31, 2011, 03:38:45 am »

Like what? Creating balls of magical dust?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: December 31, 2011, 05:38:04 am »

So how does a mason workshop work then? Does it have individual reactions of every stone type for every product it can make? That sounds like horribly inefficient coding to me.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: December 31, 2011, 09:05:05 am »

If stone painting is something we are going to pursue, it might be better to instead of having Blue Dye + Obsidian = Blue Painted Obsidian to instead have Blue Dye + Any Stone = Blue Painted Stone (You would then only need one new material type for each color. That's possible right?). That would cause some strange situations where a magma safe material is painted and is now no longer magma safe, or vise versa, (depending on the values set for the Painted Stone) but it would cut down on the work if I understand the problem correctly.

Personally I feel that's what should have been done with the wood. I understand that different woods have different hardnesses, densities, and values but I think that's preferable to lose those specific factors over having a Noble who really loves,Silver Painted Feathertree wood, or something equally specific. Just <Color> Painted Wood would have been a better choice I feel. However, that work is already done, and I feel kind of bad saying it might have been better undone, so I'm not suggesting that you go back and get rid of it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:19:13 am by KingStrongbeard »

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: December 31, 2011, 10:56:29 am »

So how does a mason workshop work then? Does it have individual reactions of every stone type for every product it can make? That sounds like horribly inefficient coding to me.

It's hardcoded, so we can't see the reactions. But there's an option to have the product match the material of a reagent, so it's probably doing this.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: December 31, 2011, 01:51:33 pm »

not sure where you are getting this "seperate reaction for each permutation" thing from.. it's not the number or reactions (16) that makes it difficult, it's the fact that the reaction products are themselves materials that adds complexity. for example, compare the standard pine tree:
Spoiler: the "normal" pine tree (click to show/hide)
to
Spoiler: the MLF pine tree (click to show/hide)

Yes , it's a lot of complexity, to be able to have the material in the color you want.  ayes, it could be simplified if you ignored the base material and jsut had "red wood" or whatever. but, if we wanted simple, would we be playing Dwarf Fort?

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: December 31, 2011, 05:40:27 pm »

Having to use paint is just silly to me. If I would do this I would do it the wizard's way and just create my own stone.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: December 31, 2011, 06:22:28 pm »

One of the simplifications that's going to be included in the simplified version is consolidating painted woods into conjured tree wood, conjured fungal wood, conjured berry wood, conjured fruit wood, conjured root wood and conjured grain wood, with some allowances for the more valuable materials like sunberries and golden apples. This is more to make noble demands more achievable, though. If I did stone painting, I'd definitely simplify painted stone, probably into sedimentary, igneous, metamorphic and ore(for value purposes). The magma safety issue would be the main problem, the way to solve it is to have a more pleasing way to say "blue painted magma-safe igneous stone". That way stones only need eight painted materials.

The number of materials really is the problem, not the 16 reactions. Looking at the definitions for stones, though, I have an idea:

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:SANDSTONE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:sandstone][DISPLAY_COLOR:6:7:0][TILE:'#']
[SEDIMENTARY][AQUIFER][SEDIMENTARY_OCEAN_SHALLOW]
[IS_STONE]
[MELTING_POINT:12070]

If someone used find and replace to change "[INORGANIC:" to "[INORGANIC:BLUE_" and then "[ALL_SOLID:" to "[ALL_SOLID:blue ", all they'd have to do is cut out the code that places it in the world and splice in the colours, and do all that 15 more times. It's still a long and tiresome job, and the complexity it adds is a bit much even for traditional MLF. I've already been thinking about having an "ornate" version that includes things like the divided realms royalty in the united castes, so if someone wants to do it, I could put it in there. I'll add generic conjured stones along the lines of cloudstone, sunstone, moonstone at some point, I'll put it into long term plans. I'll make them fairly light so they don't make stone fall traps too powerful.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 06:27:41 pm by Nidokoenig »

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: December 31, 2011, 06:43:33 pm »

Personally, I can't paint anything at all.  I have every dye under the sun (ohgodtheBAGS) and plenty of wood just sitting around...conjured, normal, mushroom, you name it.  But all the reactions at the painting workshop show up red and cannot be preformed.  Same with baked goods.  I can make all the dough, and I can cook it into normal recipes, but the "make baked goods" or "make sculpture" actions are also redded out.  Happens in every pony fort.  :/  So alas, colorful wood buildings and cupcake statues are beyond my abilities.

Everything else is chugging along fine, though.  Heh, newborn ponies bypass the genetic bottleneck, I feel like I'm re-establishing genetics in my fortress.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: December 31, 2011, 06:50:52 pm »

Are your flour, sugar and dye bags in barrels? If so, that's the problem. There's some general buggy behaviour with barrels like that. So have dedicated mill product stockpiles with no barrels, forbid them from other stockpiles and watch the magic happen. Oh, and have eggs stockpiled without barrels, too.

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: December 31, 2011, 07:08:39 pm »

I'm looking into it but I'm hopelessly terrible at this stuff plus I can't find any helpful pages in the wiki.

Does anyone have any helpful links?

EDIT: One idea to help prevent 'cheating' is to only make stone BLOCKS so they can only be used in construction and nothing else.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 07:13:46 pm by Vandala »

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: December 31, 2011, 08:00:20 pm »

Hmmn...the barrel thing may work for the dough, didn't know there was a bug about that, haven't run into it before, and I do barrel all my food products.  But my dye certainly isn't in barrels, it's all over the place.  I'm not kidding when I say I have too much.  So I don't know why the dye isn't working.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 140