Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXII [0/6, 1/3], POSTGAME: Mafia Won!  (Read 71980 times)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXII [7/7, 2/2], DAY 1: Lost and found
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2011, 04:14:35 am »

Alright, Jim gave a good answer, Unvote.

Crown, If you were scum and had an opportunity to bus your partner in the lategame (it will be MyLo if the next lynchee is town), when he was asking you not to, because he wants to be a team until the end, would you bus him to gain more credibility?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2011, 04:18:11 am »

Supercharazad, asking lots of hypothetical questions are nice, but are you narrowing down your list of suspects any?

Jim: I was talking about Heli's defense of himself in particular.

So you want me to tell you if I think you're on the right track or not?

If I thought you were on to anything I would be voting Heliman. But right now I have no idea what the hell the arguments are on either side.

Why do you think Heliman is suspicious, by the way?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2011, 04:28:07 am »

Alright, Jim gave a good answer, Unvote.

Crown, If you were scum and had an opportunity to bus your partner in the lategame (it will be MyLo if the next lynchee is town), when he was asking you not to, because he wants to be a team until the end, would you bus him to gain more credibility?
It depends on the current situation. If I wasn't in any danger of being voted, then I wouldn't see any reason to. But I'm assuming that I would need to in this situation, so yes, I would. There's really no reason to keep a team completely together, regardless if you're Town or scum. I mean, it certainly helps to have more of your team alive, but there is no "flawless victory" in Mafia.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2011, 05:57:16 am »

You could almost say that I'm a Mind Game Ship when it comes to my hunting.
Hmmm - this wine tastes funny. You just admitted to being a goldmine of WIFOM :o
Quote from: Heliman
Lol, no, I'm not admitting to WIFOM, I'm just pissing Breadbocks off because he hates obscure Tv Tropes links.
First off, so sorry that I took a post literally. I thought that's what we do here.

Also, why do you need me to be pissed off? So that in my rage I would make a mistake in my persecution of you, giving you scum the chance to pounce on me? Not a chance.
Easy answer, an angry scum gives scumtells more often. It can be used as nothing but protown scumhunting, mostly because of all the RAEGVOTES (so very similar to your vote) that it causes.

In all honesty I haven't even been doing any mindgames, I'm not nearly good enough to put thoughts in your head. Like the Conspiracy theorists before you, you just got it in your head that I am, which, by the way, is hilarious. Even if you don't believe this, look at it this way: "mindgames," (excluding cyclical thinking mindgames like WIFOM,) are more or less the basis of the questioning process we've been doing for the last several pages, the good ones are set up to make the answerer give a response that can be used against them later, like a little magic bullet.

Speaking of magic bullets.
Hmmm - this wine tastes funny. You just admitted to being a goldmine of WIFOM :o
Have ever heard of wifoyifom before? probably not, It's quite a long abbreviation, it roughly translates to "Wine in front of you in front of me." It's quite the magic little phrase. As it refers to a situation where a scum tries to push WIFOM on players in order to slot them for lynching.
In that link, and in my post, there was absolutely no admittance of WIFOM in any way whatsoever. Which means You, clever little f*cking scum you, are not only blatantly misinterpreting my post, but also have been using my wonderful little abbbreviation here.
Bread, and everyone, really. I urge you to look at his response: It's another mindgame. Would a townie have a reason to play mindgames on everyone?
And by god you are using wifoyifom to it's fullest, seeing as you're trying to induce the rest of the town to lynch me.
Vote major_sephiroth, nice try at driving the bandwagon, I'm happy I was able to jeer you into it.
Well. I'll say the little things first:
The last quote you have on me was supposed to get people to look at you and decide by themselves - if someone voted you for my reasons alone, I'd FoS them, at the very least.

Now - it seems I misinterpreted my main evidence post here Heliman. I still think you're scum, but there's no solid case.
Onto your mindgames thing. It's easy. I mean, I got you to vote for TKoE, didn't I? And just by using the word 'turning' in your earlier post, Bread seems to betray BD by pressuring him. That's the only one I can spot at the moment.

Onto the bad part. Most of my attack was based on you saying you're a goldmine of WIFOM - and that's apparently a misinterpretation. An attack without base is crap - and I think you've had enough pressure from me. I think you're scum, but until I can convince the town of that, Unvote. You've still got my FoS to keep you company though, Heliman. To clarify - I think he's scum - I just have no evidence, and if I push my reasoning further, it's going to hurt me, not him. If you want to attack him, by all means - go for it. Just don't quote me word for word.

Onto Bread:
As an SE, I'm entitled to say getting people pissed so they drop scumtells is a bad idea, because anyone can say dumbass things when annoyed. Only scum would do it because they need a townie to get lynched for the day. Every time you try to defend yourself, you seem scummier and scummier. This is correct ICs, no?

Also, I don't think you understand WIFOM properly. It's not any generic diversion. It's THE thing that will screw you up. It is a choice between two choices which you have no way of guessing right, and choosing wrong could be your downfall.
Simply? No, no and no. A angry scum drops more scumtells than a similarly angry town, if they're of the same skill.  Yes, anyone can say dumbass things when annoyed - but dumbass things tend not to be scumtells. Town needs to do it to find scum, and while scum can do it, it only works on people who react strongly, like you, and to a slightly lesser extent, me.  Defending often is not a scumtell either - it just means you're attacked more often and thus NEED to defend yourself. It's HOW they defend that can be a scumtell. Not an IC, so I could be wrong here.  Also, he knows WIFOM enough to know WIFOYIFOM.

Also bread - my attack on Heli has fallen flat. If you want to keep your vote on him - I suggest you tell Jim and the rest of us why, without re-using my words.

Also Jim, look at my last post and this one for my attack on Heli. It's not the most sound one. Also also, I think he means the scum will reliably use WIFOM and other known and limited tactics, thus making them identifiable.

PRE-POST EDIT: I feel I should elaborate on my mindgame. I thought TKoE was scum. Overreacting and whatnot - but I didn't want to vote him on that, as it'd be a blatant bandwagon.  I knew I could convince someone to vote him with enough questions, and I happened to get Heli with my first one.  So Heli, I wasn't as sheepish as you thought.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2011, 07:29:32 am »

Supercharazad, asking lots of hypothetical questions are nice, but are you narrowing down your list of suspects any?

Yes. I'm going slowly down the list of people, and those with thr worst answers get more questions.

Crown your answer was alright, Unvote.

Heliman, list every player, in order of scumminess (in your eyes), with the scummiest at the top.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2011, 08:04:00 am »

As an SE, I'm entitled to say getting people pissed so they drop scumtells is a bad idea, because anyone can say dumbass things when annoyed.
And that's when you look for scum tells, a town gets angry, a scum will fall back on progressively classic strategies to defend himself.
I'm not in the game, but this isn't necessarily true, since acting like an angry town would be something a scum might do.

If a scum is good enough, they will act like town, so this fails logic. That's like saying scum always lies, which is nonsense, since telling the truth is actually a very, VERY good way to look town. The only part a scum has to lie about is whether they're scum.

The point is you have to think whether this is something someone would do as only town, as town and scum, or as only scum. Be in their position. Don't constrain yourself to think in a limited fashion. There is more to being scum than scumtells. The key is to familiar with them.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2011, 10:56:07 am »

In this particular wine, one would smell hints of cyclic thinking and no information, if one was halfway observant.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2011, 02:09:38 pm »

Yes. I'm going slowly down the list of people, and those with thr worst answers get more questions.

Okay.

But what about what's happened in the game so far? What do you think of that?

Also Jim, look at my last post and this one for my attack on Heli. It's not the most sound one. Also also, I think he means the scum will reliably use WIFOM and other known and limited tactics, thus making them identifiable.

But you just said you don't have a case so why should I bother going back to reread it? And I did and I still don't have a clue what you were trying to get at.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2011, 02:33:01 pm »

Okay.

But what about what's happened in the game so far? What do you think of that?

I think TKoE needs to learn that mafia requires some time put into it, and that Breadbock seems suspicious, I don't know why, there's just something... bothering about him.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2011, 02:56:29 pm »

Jim: I was talking about Heli's defense of himself in particular.

So you want me to tell you if I think you're on the right track or not?

If I thought you were on to anything I would be voting Heliman. But right now I have no idea what the hell the arguments are on either side.

Why do you think Heliman is suspicious, by the way?
I am progressively realizing I phrased that post poorer and poorer. I was asking about whether I was right about relying on getting people pissed for scumtells was less than effective.

As for arguments, I'll skim through, and track down what it was that flipped the scum trigger in my brain.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2011, 04:07:19 pm »

I have no idea what you're talking about. What are these progressively classic strategies that scum use to defend themselves?
While normally I would say that if I said them, Scum would automatically be wary of me looking looking for them, but since I've been totally clear on my strategies from the beginning, These are the things I'm looking for an aggravated scum to do Day 1(note, I'm particularly referring to the Day one category of this post. I'm also looking for other tells too, like players becoming enraged or commentless bandwagoneering)

But you just said you don't have a case so why should I bother going back to reread it? And I did and I still don't have a clue what you were trying to get at.
He's probably referring to the question you asked me, that I answered.

The point is you have to think whether this is something someone would do as only town, as town and scum, or as only scum. Be in their position. Don't constrain yourself to think in a limited fashion. There is more to being scum than scumtells. The key is to familiar with them.
That's the issue I'm having though, this is my first game, so I don't know anything about a scum's mindset. For all my aggressive posting, I'm still one of the biggest greenhorns in this game. I'm trying not to think linearly, but I don't know what it's like to be a scum. Research, speculation, and spectating can only tell me so much in this respect.
If you want, you can PM me more about this if you feel so inclined, as I would be very eager to hear how you scum hunt, but not here, it would be best not to use up page space with touchy-feely stuff.

You mean the question you likely posed in your head, but then realized would incriminate you further so you never posted it? Yeeeeeah... Mind posing it now, or forever hold your peace? Because there is no other question you have aimed at me.
Ah-hah, you're have me on that count. I did remove it. I would have been "How exactly would anger give scum the chance to pounce on you?" but I edited out that question when I found the hole in Major's logic.
Seeing as that was all last night, I'm not entirely sure why I prompted you to answer it either, because you did answer it. I still disagree with your answer, but you did answer it.

Heliman, list every player, in order of scumminess (in your eyes), with the scummiest at the top.
Hmmm, Scumminess?

major_sephiroth (perceived scumtell, still pursuing)
Bdthemag (Lurking with no reason, while being active elsewhere)
The King of Eggs (3 day vacation, incredibly suspicious manner of posting)
Breadbocks (seems to be coming on a little bandwagony with seph, but could easily be considered as normal scum hunting.)
Jim Groovester (still wary, but there's nothing that I could scream at.)
Supercharazard<-->Toaster<-->CrownofFire (equal level of suspicion, because you're all playing similarly so far: shorter sized posts, usually questioning an individual person and/or answering a question asked by someone else.)

The ICs would probably be higher in this list, but that would be because of my fear of their skill rather than me thinking they're scummy.

Ok, questions posed toward me look squared away, now it's time for hunting. Don't you back off just yet Seph, I'm not done with you yet.

The last quote you have on me was supposed to get people to look at you and decide by themselves - if someone voted you for my reasons alone.
A question to the entire forum "to decide for themselves" after a good sized and very accusatory post can only be regarded as a call to form a bandwagon, don't try playing it off as something less severe, it is what it is.

I'd FoS them, at the very least.
A player Bandwagoning is always, at the very least, slightly suspicious. Because of this, anyone who jumps on a bandwagon always adds their two cents, so in all liklihood you would have FoS'd no one.

Now - it seems I misinterpreted my main evidence post here Heliman. I still think you're scum, but there's no solid case.
Onto your mindgames thing. It's easy. I mean, I got you to vote for TKoE, didn't I? And just by using the word 'turning' in your earlier post, Bread seems to betray BD by pressuring him. That's the only one I can spot at the moment.

PRE-POST EDIT: I feel I should elaborate on my mindgame. I thought TKoE was scum. Overreacting and whatnot - but I didn't want to vote him on that, as it'd be a blatant bandwagon.  I knew I could convince someone to vote him with enough questions, and I happened to get Heli with my first one.  So Heli, I wasn't as sheepish as you thought.
While I'm fully willing to asdf about your apparent mindgames later, this is still a load of scumshit. Why? You're making a serious contradiction by admitting this. Your statement just now proves that the question you asked earlier was a blatant lie made to bandwagon the most active townie.
Bread, and everyone, really. I urge you to look at his response: It's another mindgame. Would a townie have a reason to play mindgames on everyone?
If you don't know why a townie would play a mindgame, Then there is no reason that you would make one in the first place. Any proper town never lies, especially when under heat. It's one thing to play to play covertly, but it's another thing to make a total lie about how you play. Only a scum, and according to Wuba an inexperienced scum at that, would ever have any reason to lie when scum-hunting. You are that scum.

The vote stays, and anyone else willing to comment on this fiasco is welcome.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2011, 04:37:21 pm »

Hmm... Turns out I've more of Towersoared to catch up on than I thought. Expect a slightly longer wait.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2011, 05:05:55 pm »

I can't wait to hear it.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2011, 06:20:52 pm »

Let's do this. I'm making this happen.
Spoiler: Post #1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Post #2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: #3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  #4 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: #5 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: #6 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 7 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 8 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 9 (click to show/hide)
I think I need exposit no more.

Heliman, you shall rot as scum forever more.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2011, 06:32:49 pm »

I have no idea what you're talking about. What are these progressively classic strategies that scum use to defend themselves?
While normally I would say that if I said them, Scum would automatically be wary of me looking looking for them, but since I've been totally clear on my strategies from the beginning, These are the things I'm looking for an aggravated scum to do Day 1(note, I'm particularly referring to the Day one category of this post. I'm also looking for other tells too, like players becoming enraged or commentless bandwagoneering)

You should just ignore and forget any and every guide you see because I'm a better resource and you're going to screw it up somehow anyway, like I'm pretty sure you already have. Hence why I have no idea what the fuck anybody is talking about.

Just learn what is and what is not a scumtell naturally.

He's probably referring to the question you asked me, that I answered.

If I wanted you to answer questions I directed at major_sephiroth I would've asked you to.

The last quote you have on me was supposed to get people to look at you and decide by themselves - if someone voted you for my reasons alone.
A question to the entire forum "to decide for themselves" after a good sized and very accusatory post can only be regarded as a call to form a bandwagon, don't try playing it off as something less severe, it is what it is.

You're being dumb, stop it.

You're forgetting that the whole point of scumhunting is to bring a player's scumminess to light so that they will hopefully be lynched. Making these points visible and trying to convince everybody that the player is scum is exactly what you're supposed to be doing.

You're also forgetting how players are lynched: by majority vote. People voting you doesn't automatically make it a bandwagon. It's only if they do it reasonlessly or add nothing to other people's reasons. And even then, sometimes people just agree that a player is scummy.

So how about you stop attacking major_sephiroth for the method of how he's trying to get you lynched, and instead, attack him for the why. Because he's doing exactly what he's supposed to.

And everybody shut the fuck up about mindgames. You're all wrong about them and you all look stupid talking about them and you all look even dumber trying to do them.

I think I need exposit no more.

You're being dumb, stop it.

How about you condense what makes Heliman scummy into a single sentence. Find the best points, bring them to light. If you can't do that, then you're not going to convince anybody to vote for him. Case in point: I'm not reading through that list of posts to find badly formatted, single line accusations that don't really tell me anything.

It's scummy and completely worthless and useless to say that every post a player did is scummy.

Try again.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36