Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: Not-So-Beginner Mafia: Panda Edition [Evening 2, Town Almost-Flawless Victory]  (Read 38550 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Not-So-Beginner Mafia: Panda Edition [Day 1, 9/9]
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2011, 09:07:30 pm »

Vector, I don't really believe your suspicions. At all.

Noted.  Once I'm certain, I'll be sure to work harder to convince you.
Which is another thing I hate. You keep putting in little notes about how much you might be wrong, just in case you're wrong. You're not certain of what? You have to be certain of something. Why are you making yourself not accountable for your actions later on?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2011, 09:23:13 pm »

Which is another thing I hate. You keep putting in little notes about how much you might be wrong, just in case you're wrong. You're not certain of what? You have to be certain of something. Why are you making yourself not accountable for your actions later on?

I'm worried about lynching town, and I'm still shaking off the rust.  Excuses, excuses, but frankly, this isn't about making myself unaccountable to the rest of the town.  This is about doubting myself and, in the spirit of honesty, expressing those doubts when it might be wiser not to.

That said, this is what I think. 

I am certain that Jokerman and Zrk have been sidelining.  The latter has been performing some actions reminiscent of playing people off of each other.  I don't like the persistent "So, how do you feel about [PLAYER]" questions that have been flying around.  The latter also piggybacked off of my accusation of piggybacking and didn't exactly pay attention to LN's explanation >_>  It looks like an opportunistic vote.

Jokerman has a reputation for playing a slow D1, though, so that's not setting off many buzzers.

I am not sure why SaintDraze has been asking about roles so much.  I have two guesses.
a. He is scum.
b. He is a newb with a PR (doctor) who wants advice on what to do.
I am currently trying to figure out which.

I think you're town, as well as Leafsnail and LN.  I don't have a read on Toaster yet.  He's been a lot more quiet recently than I remember.

I think NF is probably noobtown.  Specifically, he hasn't been jumpy, he isn't acting like he's too easy to please--cooperative, but not overly so.  The weird intro "What, are Leaf and Web scum together?!" thing is still bugging me, but given the recent beginners' games and the stuff coming out of them, I think it makes sense.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2011, 09:46:39 pm »

I am certain that Jokerman and Zrk have been sidelining.  The latter has been performing some actions reminiscent of playing people off of each other.  I don't like the persistent "So, how do you feel about [PLAYER]" questions that have been flying around.  The latter also piggybacked off of my accusation of piggybacking and didn't exactly pay attention to LN's explanation >_>  It looks like an opportunistic vote.
Then why, oh why, are you not trying to push them any harder? You hardly push them as much as SaintDraze, and that's getting a whole lot accomplished. You're spending your time here, waiting for answers to a terrible question. You're essentially rolefishing, according to your own logic. Let's walk through this together.

I am not sure why SaintDraze has been asking about roles so much.  I have two guesses.
a. He is scum.
Think about if I was giving you this choice right now: You're either scum, or you're a PR. There is no way a dichotomy like that is beneficial as town. No. Way. If he claims a power role, someone has succeeded in finding a PR. (Or he's lying! [TWEEST!]) If he claims no power role, you've eliminated a choice for PR.

This is definitely the worst way to go about this, Vector. It's like your goal here is to get him to confess his role. That's not really your job though. Why does a PR have anything to do with it?

Why? There isn't any sort of precedent that makes this an either...or situation. It's a type of rolefishing.

I think you're town, as well as Leafsnail and LN.  I don't have a read on Toaster yet.  He's been a lot more quiet recently than I remember.
Okay, well, clearly you have reasoning to believe I am Town, along with Leafsnail and LNCP. You might want to start giving that a shot. Because, coincidentally, I am all for Townhunting, as well. I have always been a proponent for reasoning why someone is town as well as why someone is scum. I never understood why people had such an aversion to it.

So, please enlighten me.

I think NF is probably noobtown.  Specifically, he hasn't been jumpy, he isn't acting like he's too easy to please--cooperative, but not overly so.  The weird intro "What, are Leaf and Web scum together?!" thing is still bugging me, but given the recent beginners' games and the stuff coming out of them, I think it makes sense.
Is this an excuse or what? Are you saying he's scummy and that is was alright for you to have voted him? Are you saying he is town? WHY IS HE SUDDENLY MORE LIKELY TO BE TOWN NOW? You don't really segue into an answer at all. You just go from him being suspicious enough to drop your vote off of Toaster (who you suddenly find to be neutral or something) and keep it there.

I'm not sure this is an answer or an excuse for all of your nonsense. I'll give you one more shot, though.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2011, 09:50:19 pm »

Dinner.  I'll be back with answers shortly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2011, 10:07:43 pm »

Pan looked at the board. "Ah, my mistake," he muttered, pocketing an extra pawn that had ended up off to the side where he put the pieces of people who weren't voting. "Had an extra from the set." He got up from his chair and called two of his men over. These one looked at least marginally different from the others. "Alex and Hans will take care of this in my absence. Don't get too excited," he ordered as he departed for parts unknown.

Vector - 2 - webadict Leafsnail
Toaster - 0 -
Zrk2 - 1 - Toaster
Jokerman-EXE - 0 -
SaintDraze - 2 - lordnincompoop Vector
Leafsnail - 0 -
webadict - 1 - NativeForeigner
NativeForeigner - 0 -
lordnincompoop - 1 - Zrk2

Not Voting: Jokerman-EXE, SaintDraze, Toaster

Day 1 ends Thursday, 9 PM Pacific. 9 Players alive: 3 votes to extend the day , 5 to Hammer a player or to vote to shorten the day.
Extended
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2011, 10:40:32 pm »

Then why, oh why, are you not trying to push them any harder? You hardly push them as much as SaintDraze, and that's getting a whole lot accomplished.

I'm observing them.  Sometimes you have to push people as hard as you can, and sometimes you need to see what happens when they aren't under pressure.  A lot of people drop more tells when they think the water is fine, than when they think it's boiling.

a. He is scum.
Think about if I was giving you this choice right now: You're either scum, or you're a PR. There is no way a dichotomy like that is beneficial as town. No. Way. If he claims a power role, someone has succeeded in finding a PR. (Or he's lying! [TWEEST!]) If he claims no power role, you've eliminated a choice for PR.

This is definitely the worst way to go about this, Vector. It's like your goal here is to get him to confess his role. That's not really your job though. Why does a PR have anything to do with it?

Why? There isn't any sort of precedent that makes this an either...or situation. It's a type of rolefishing.

What?  No, I'm not saying I want him to claim.  I'm saying that he's performed an action which makes logical sense to me only in two scenarios.  You asked me what I thought, so I told you--but I wasn't saying anything about that piece of thought beforehand, was I?  I've been simply thinking "Well, why would someone say that?  What could their motivations be?"  I think I read something by Dakarian, a long time ago, that mentioned this sort of situation in town that was new to their power roles.

I'm questioning SaintDraze because I think he is scum, and voting him because he is being a passive, spineless, unoriginal fool and so on.  If he's town, then he needs to shape up or ship out.  If he's scum, he can go die.  I don't want a claim in either scenario, and even if I received one, I wouldn't trust it.

Okay, well, clearly you have reasoning to believe I am Town, along with Leafsnail and LNCP. You might want to start giving that a shot. Because, coincidentally, I am all for Townhunting, as well. I have always been a proponent for reasoning why someone is town as well as why someone is scum. I never understood why people had such an aversion to it.

So, please enlighten me.

Mostly, vague meta feelings--hence why I haven't been sitting here, going "Dude, x, y, and z are town!" at the top of my lungs.  You three feel... self-assured, I think, in a way that I basically never sense from scum players.  Leafsnail typically comes off slightly nervous to me when he's playing scum.  You usually blather a bit less.  LN is doing everything right thus far.

It's the absence of scumtells, plus the aggressive way you're playing--without being overly so, which seems to pop up fairly frequently in the more "townie-looking" scum.

That, and this feels almost exactly like the mountainous we played together, except for the fact that you're slightly more with it, a bit less confused.

Is this an excuse or what? Are you saying he's scummy and that is was alright for you to have voted him? Are you saying he is town? WHY IS HE SUDDENLY MORE LIKELY TO BE TOWN NOW? You don't really segue into an answer at all. You just go from him being suspicious enough to drop your vote off of Toaster (who you suddenly find to be neutral or something) and keep it there.

Dropped my vote off of Toaster because I saw something elsewhere that I wanted to check out, and I didn't see anything too weird coming out of his response.  I messed with Native Foreigner for a while, got a preliminary read from the aforementioned little list of reactions, and jumped on the guy who was involved in more definite scumtells (SaintDraze). 

I'm saying he performed an act that could have been a hint of scummy, without being a big warning sign.  I questioned him for a while, looked for signs of buddying and overreaction, asked him a question he shouldn't have answered and discovered that he wasn't bending over backwards.  Scum tends to fall in one of two categories.

a. Too helpful.
b. Too angry.

He managed to escape both, so either my traps were too naive or he's actually town.  For now, I'm leaning on the town side, since I have better targets and the only scummy thing he did was a matter of speculation, and could be explained equally well by his prior atmosphere.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2011, 10:47:01 pm »

LNCP:  I'm really freaking tired, so let me just give you the quick outline.  My gut has Vector painted thirty-one flavors of scum, but my brain is unable to come up with anything concrete- hence the multitude of questions.  If I had to pick a second now, it'd be Native, but I'm less sure on that one and would really want to see Vector's flip first.

I realize this post sucks; sorry.  I'll give a better one that's actually backed up in the morning, but you can digest on that for now.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2011, 10:57:51 pm »

Hmm... You've won this round, Vector. Unvote.

I too am tired, so I'll waste some time tomorrow morning.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2011, 02:45:41 am »

Really Vector? You seriously couldn't tell that was a joke? I'm fairly certain even Wuba caught that was a /joke. Also, I have been in any BM games recently.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2011, 02:56:49 am »

Really Vector? You seriously couldn't tell that was a joke? I'm fairly certain even Wuba caught that was a /joke. Also, I have been in any BM games recently.

... Kind of funny that you're only passing off as a joke after, what, the fourth time I've mentioned it?  Also, jokes still reflect one's subconscious thoughts.  It's not like I'm going to go "Oh, it was a JOKE!  Of course!  I'll just... shove that little suspicion off over there then, shall I?"

It was a suspicious joke.

I don't like suspicious jokes.

So, given that you apparently aren't straight from a BM, why don't you tell me:

Who are you suspicious of?
Why haven't you been doing anything but half-heartedly soft-balling me and answering allegations?
Why didn't you bring up your "joke" until now?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2011, 07:04:40 am »

Zrk2.

Would you mind being here? What would be a good thing for you to do right now?

Why is it you're saying things, but not showing things? What is your information so far?

What are you hiding?

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
  • "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2011, 09:52:47 am »

Okay, I've read all I needed to.

SaintDraze: Is there a particular reason you went with the RNG when I already had two votes? The game is a few pages in, you probably could have found a reason to vote someone if you had actually looked.
I started the game late, I Random voted you before reading the game because otherwise I would be to tempted to not random vote.
I believe that a player should always random vote as their first move....
Draze McNoble Demands bacon flavored bacon...Made of bacon.

He puts an embargo on all waffle based goods

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2011, 10:52:21 am »

Unvote Zrk2.  Vote Vector.

Zrk2:  You're fighting with Native for my #2 pick.

Nks rearely ever generate anything that isn't WIFOM, unless the scum make a really bad choice and hit the person who has been only grilling them... But even then, it's still only WIFOM, so I have a feeling it will only cause WIFOM.

So why even ask?   Smells like asking a question for the sake of asking a question.

I'd like to hear your top two picks and reasoning behind them.

I have been observing and developing an idea of how everyone is playing this game, so I can have background information upon which to preface my scumpicks upon.

Extremely passive.  If you cared, you'd be out there in the thick of it, questioning to generate that background information.

Now for the Vector case.

Vector has been striking me all game as a vulture, circling around and waiting for someone to slip up so she could jump on them, something that says "Scum Vector" me.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79927.msg2094725#msg2094725  This is very meta, but I think Vector here is setting up a claim that she's rusty which is a safety net for any future slips.  I agree that it's weak, but it bugs me.

If you've got any questions or suspicions to go with that vote, Webface, just kick 'em my way.

I made pretty much that same comment in response to a very similar post in an older, and got called on it... correctly (I was 3rd party.)  It's something that catches my eye now.

In that same post, there's a comment about a "slip" Native made that I think is incredibly out there in terms of scumminess (as in I don't see it as scummy at all.)  The remainder of the exchange between them (the next few posts) smells like distancing to me.  I believe I mentioned that I thought Native was softballing Vector.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79927.msg2099936#msg2099936  Here you back off the wordiness level when Leafsnail attacks you over it.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79927.msg2099936#msg2099936  Your secondary picks are "easy" targets, as I said here.  This is where the earlier vulture comment comes from.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79927.msg2103105#msg2103105  Here's that "rusty" excuse again.  Yes, you haven't played in a while- that's fine.  There's no need to keep reminding us.  I'm only seeing you setting yourself up for an "Oops my bad for voting town" post later.

I have nothing concrete, but I cannot shake the feeling that Vector is scum.  My vote's on her, and it'll stay there until I think otherwise.

SaintDraze:
Okay, I've read all I needed to.

SaintDraze: Is there a particular reason you went with the RNG when I already had two votes? The game is a few pages in, you probably could have found a reason to vote someone if you had actually looked.
I started the game late, I Random voted you before reading the game because otherwise I would be to tempted to not random vote.
I believe that a player should always random vote as their first move....

You know, until this post I was prepared to label you confused new town.  This, however, is a terrible post.  There are several questions out to you, and you respond to ONE of them and add nothing new besides that.  Why don't you go back and respond to everyone, and then add your suspect list?  (With reasons for each person on it.)

Native has mostly been dogging SaintDraze about putting a third vote on him and going back and forth with Vector.  Native, who is your #1 pick right now?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2011, 02:06:37 pm »

... Kind of funny that you're only passing off as a joke after, what, the fourth time I've mentioned it?  Also, jokes still reflect one's subconscious thoughts.  It's not like I'm going to go "Oh, it was a JOKE!  Of course!  I'll just... shove that little suspicion off over there then, shall I?"

It was a suspicious joke.

I don't like suspicious jokes.

So, given that you apparently aren't straight from a BM, why don't you tell me:

Who are you suspicious of?
Why haven't you been doing anything but half-heartedly soft-balling me and answering allegations?
Why didn't you bring up your "joke" until now?

Pay attention Vector. I mentioned it when you first brought it up.

I'm suspicious of you, SaintDraze, Wuba. Wuba because something about the post of his I mentioned seemed off. I'm still working on figuring out exactly what. SaintDraze because he's half-assing his answers. And you because you're lining up with what I'm looking for. You seem to be trying to get the most out of a small thing I said earlier. You continually bring it up so that eventually you can turn it into a big deal to get me lynched. Especially when I react to it.

I've been busy, but I'm done being busy now.

I did.

Toaster: See above.

SaintDraze: It's just my opinion, but that's a habit you should get out of. A random vote this late does nothing helpful. Who are your suspicions?
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
  • "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2011, 02:31:33 pm »

I have read through the game 5 times in a row... I believe I have responded to everyones questions of me.

I wish I could vote LNP but it would only be because he has no sense of humor, and how he scumhunts.
Like Leafsnail says, he will jump on one thing and go into obsessive detail on it.

Coming in a close second of people I wish I could vote is Web
His way of scumhunting is like LNPs...
Except good.
That doesn't mean that I don't dislike him this game...
His "why shouldn't you be lynched" hurt my feelers :(

How ever the person I will vote for Is leafsnail
He Nitpicked on LNP's way of going about scumhunting a tad too much...
Who do you think is doing the best scum hunting LeafSnail?
Draze McNoble Demands bacon flavored bacon...Made of bacon.

He puts an embargo on all waffle based goods
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19