Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19

Author Topic: Not-So-Beginner Mafia: Panda Edition [Evening 2, Town Almost-Flawless Victory]  (Read 38544 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not-So-Beginner Mafia: Panda Edition [Day 1, 9/9]
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2011, 03:51:20 pm »

Blessed by the number generator -> event with low probability
Currently being grilled -> negative feeling and overreactions

Event with low probability + negative feeling and overreactions related to former, rather than poor playing ability -> scum

Not necessarily, but heuristically it's enough to press on.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2011, 03:54:12 pm »

You have two votes on you, sweetie, and one was random (Leafsnail's), whilst the other (mine) was a reaction to your overreaction.

Your big overreaction.

The one I quoted, which implicated Webadict and Leafsnail in some sort of crazy-ass plot right after Leafsnail voted you.

Remember that?

I also don't see what "being blessed by the RNG" has to do with the actions of human players, but perhaps it makes better sense in your scummy little universe.

Three. SaintDraze is voting me, he just failed at red text.

That was a joke, hon. Please learn to recognize those, it'll help you out in the long run.

Leaf random voted me, you (maybe) random voted me, then SaintDraze random voted me and made a comment about how I seemed to be the popular random target. I stated that I didn't really wenjoy the "blessing".

Toaster: I made the statement because I'm getting a tad annoyed with the random votes.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2011, 03:58:35 pm »

... Never mind, then, I may have to go stab SaintDraze to death.  You newbies!  Always so sloppy.

Now I understand the statement.  Thank you--my suspicion is effectively cleared on that section for now.

That said, I still have my eye on you.  If you want this vote removed, start scunting hum.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2011, 04:12:12 pm »

Zrk2:  Do you think RVS will last longer, shorter, or the same as role-heavier games?

I have a feeling that it will be longer because there is little that can happen in a weird way to solidify peoples choices for scum.

Vector, how would you go about playing this game as scum? How do you plan on finding scum? What effect do you think NKs will hav e on voting in the next day?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2011, 04:19:42 pm »

Vector, how would you go about playing this game as scum? How do you plan on finding scum? What effect do you think NKs will have on voting in the next day?

a. Try to be as town as possible, I guess.  My strategy has become less rule-oriented and more instinctive over the past year, it seems.  Kill folks and try to implicate whoever needs to be implicated.  I'm not going to say anything more specific due to WIFOM reasons, and the simple fact that I'm not really paying attention to what I'd do if I were scum.

b. Asking questions, taking names, testing reactions, kicking ass.

c. ... ?  I dunno... the dead person will be dead and everything they said will likely be ignored, as usual?

The only time I've ever been able to read an NK was when Pandarsenic killed Org in some BYOR, and that was because it was obvious.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2011, 04:24:21 pm »

Heh, thanks for being reasonable. I was worried that you would be hard-headed about it.

As for the unvote, that's understandable.

Speaking of which, could you link me to a game or two where you played scum? I've heard a lot about you, but I've never read a game that you've been in.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2011, 06:44:09 pm »

Speaking of which, could you link me to a game or two where you played scum? I've heard a lot about you, but I've never read a game that you've been in.

This is the notable games archive.

Take a look at BMI, BMIV, and Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod if you want to get a good idea of how I play.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2011, 07:12:00 pm »

Thanks.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2011, 09:02:07 pm »

Okay, I've read all I needed to.

SaintDraze: Is there a particular reason you went with the RNG when I already had two votes? The game is a few pages in, you probably could have found a reason to vote someone if you had actually looked.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2011, 09:16:50 pm »

Might I ask your opinion on it?  I'm curious.

I'd also like to know what Leafsnail thinks of the current events, since he's been very quiet.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2011, 09:21:11 pm »

If you've got any questions or suspicions to go with that vote, Webface, just kick 'em my way.
Of course I have suspicions. That's what the vote is for. I'm surprised so few people are calling me out on anything, anyhow. Tsk tsk.

I dislike your first random questions, and I feel you found out nothing from them. I mean,
The best town scum-hunter, probably.  With a Godfather and Roleblocker, the cop has only one person he gets useful info from, and there's a chance he will miss a night.  If you want names, Web is always good.  LNCP is becoming a good hunter, so he might get underestimated since he's newer.
Good.  Thank you.  Unvote.  I'll have more questions for you later.
You literally just unvoted without really learning anything. I find it to be a camouflage of sorts.

Not only that, but I find
I don't know, but i'd really prefer it didn't.

I believe that constitutes a slip.  Explain this statement.
To be noncommittal and also equally thoughtless. It's meaning is rather clear when read. Plus, you seem to be suspicious for no reason other than to be seemingly skeptical.

Blessed by the number generator -> event with low probability
Currently being grilled -> negative feeling and overreactions

Event with low probability + negative feeling and overreactions related to former, rather than poor playing ability -> scum

Not necessarily, but heuristically it's enough to press on.
And then you justify it somehow with this post, which makes it okay for me to vote you with no reason whatsoever. Clearly.

You... haven't really proven that you're scumhunting. You seem to just be pushing on points that make little to no difference, and then backing off eventually. Luckily, you can now hold off on doing such by locking your vote on NativeForeigner "until he starts scumhunting," which could mean literally anything.

So, you've now successfully stopped scumhunting, which is the opposite message you should be sending. Why would you want to do that?

I'd also like to know what Leafsnail thinks of the current events, since he's been very quiet.
And I don't find this to be scumhunting either. You're just asking him to show up to seem more active and asking pointless stupid questions. "Hey, Vector, I've got a way to scumhunt: What do you think of ponies?"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2011, 09:40:31 pm »

To address your points:

1. I unvoted to vote NativeForeigner, whom I still find suspicious.  I'm trying to remember how to create pressure rather than simply sitting around and reading, as is my default.  This is regrettable, of course.

2. Honestly, I read it and misunderstood it as I explained in a later post.  Voting me with no explanation is "okay" because we're still vaguely in the RVS and I figure you'd want to get grilling me out of the way as soon as possible, under whatever pretext you could find.  So, I'm basically saying "Well, I don't have anything on you right now.  Go for it."

3. I'm waiting on two people right now to act, those being SaintDraze and NativeForeigner.  I feel that both have behaved suspiciously.  My read on NF is improving based on his behavior, though there are still some worrisome elements--in any case, I feel that the latter needs time, and the former pressure.  Don't try to drive nails with microscopes, and all that.

At the same time, I'm kind of nervous about winding up with exploding newbies and false positives.  I think my previous style resulted in a lot of problems in that direction, so I'm working on rearranging things to result in more truth and less craziness.

4. We need more activity.  I'm not yet ready to start bashing heads on that.  It's the gentle reminder stage, rather than the "GET OUT HERE BEFORE I IMMOLATE YOU, FUCKERS" stage.

My time away from here has convinced me that there's a balance that needs to be observed between violence and calm, in order to get at the truth.  First I was too calm; then too violent.  Now I am working on a middle ground.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2011, 09:57:40 pm »

NativeForeigner.  If you were the opposite alignment to the one you are, how would you react to this question?

With malice.

If you were asked a question that was the opposite of productive, how would you react to it?
I aknowledge your answer, but would point out that your question isn't paradoxical and thus isn't a very effective punchline.  Early on I would humour it, later on if there's better things to be doing I would attack it for being a useless question.  Unvote.

It's a fair point - I've left my post late due to being somewhat distracted by other things.  Not sure what doing this is meant to achieve though.

LN has been overreacting to pretty much everything that's happened so far.  Random votes, Webadict's ribbing and activity within 24 hours of game start all seemed to draw out complaints (none of them useful for anything).  I can't tell if it's scum trying to look useful or town just trying too hard to make an impact.

Hey, Vector.  Do you agree that including excessive amounts of detail and explanation of reasoning when answering questions is indicative of lying?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2011, 10:11:55 pm »

Zrk2:  Do you think RVS will last longer, shorter, or the same as role-heavier games?

I have a feeling that it will be longer because there is little that can happen in a weird way to solidify peoples choices for scum.

Vector, how would you go about playing this game as scum? How do you plan on finding scum? What effect do you think NKs will hav e on voting in the next day?

Fair enough.  However, how do you think NK selection will generate any information that is not inherently WIFOM?

Native:
Heh, thanks for being reasonable. I was worried that you would be hard-headed about it.

As for the unvote, that's understandable.

Could you be softballing her any more?

Jokerman:  I'd like your opinion on Vector and Webadict.

Vector:  Who is your #2 pick, since (I assume) NF is your #1?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2011, 10:15:36 pm »

Possibly.  I think that it should be a red light that indicates "question more here," but it isn't failsafe. I usually pay more attention to things like over-detailing of one particular thought, because that's usually a gambit to provide distraction from some other, weaker part of the post.

@Toaster:

I'm worried about SaintDraze and starting to think about Jokerman-EXE, who seems like he's trying to fly under the radar.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19