Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

should this topic be stickied

Yes.
- 49 (64.5%)
Make it a itsy bitsy better and then yes.(Post HOW!)
- 8 (10.5%)
Nah, tooooooo cmplicated. My elf head can't take this.
- 19 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Some new events perhaps?  (Read 10820 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: Some new events perhaps?
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 01:45:13 pm »

Dwarven revenge.

If a dwarf has been seriously harmed by a tantruming dwarf who he/she has a grudge against, he/she may eventually get revenge by harming, or in some cases killing the dwarf.
Dousen't that happen anyway?  :P

Ok Ok... I have an idea.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2011, 02:02:30 pm »

You have some great ideas here. However I don't like the meteor idea, such a meteor would leave no survivors if a meteor of that size was to hit Earth it would have the strength of three atomic bombs. I am strongly against ideas that end the game 'just cause'. I am also against the construction destroying ideas such as Earthquakes. Dwarf Fortress is about building megaprojects, not about having them collapse after a certain amount of time.

Also the infiltrator idea amuses me, but there should be a few more options. The leader could talk to them, perhaps have them leave without taking anything or at the least they will lower their demands. Or you could siege them by locking their door and after a few months they will either give up, attack each other, or kill your dwarves then go down swinging. I'm not such a fan of the 'homebase' idea, or that the leader has certain skills, it makes it to predictable. However, the dwarves could go into a dining room, zoo, or any other area. Their job will say 'No Job' when all living members get there, and there is a certain number of civilians there (three? Four?) they reveal they are infiltrators, lock all the exits, trap all civilians in cages. They will make their demands to the player. Then their demands will appear, you will be given four options (Give them what they want, Send in your leader, Send in Military, Ignore) if you chose to give them what they want you will be given a number of other choices to stab them in the back. Literally. If you wait to long to give them what they want, either by choice or by accident. They will either start pulling levers (if any) messing up furniture and engravings, or rarely killing off a dwarf.

Perhaps one or more of the infiltrators is very happy to be at the fort. He could rat out the other infiltrators and those infiltrators will automatically be targeted for hammerings and execution. Perhaps the leader himself could be so happy at his gold studded room that he decides to stay, at that point the rest of the group settles in your fort.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2011, 02:26:17 pm »

You have some great ideas here. However I don't like the meteor idea, such a meteor would leave no survivors if a meteor of that size was to hit Earth it would have the strength of three atomic bombs. I am strongly against ideas that end the game 'just cause'. I am also against the construction destroying ideas such as Earthquakes. Dwarf Fortress is about building megaprojects, not about having them collapse after a certain amount of time.

Also the infiltrator idea amuses me, but there should be a few more options. The leader could talk to them, perhaps have them leave without taking anything or at the least they will lower their demands. Or you could siege them by locking their door and after a few months they will either give up, attack each other, or kill your dwarves then go down swinging. I'm not such a fan of the 'homebase' idea, or that the leader has certain skills, it makes it to predictable. However, the dwarves could go into a dining room, zoo, or any other area. Their job will say 'No Job' when all living members get there, and there is a certain number of civilians there (three? Four?) they reveal they are infiltrators, lock all the exits, trap all civilians in cages. They will make their demands to the player. Then their demands will appear, you will be given four options (Give them what they want, Send in your leader, Send in Military, Ignore) if you chose to give them what they want you will be given a number of other choices to stab them in the back. Literally. If you wait to long to give them what they want, either by choice or by accident. They will either start pulling levers (if any) messing up furniture and engravings, or rarely killing off a dwarf.

Perhaps one or more of the infiltrators is very happy to be at the fort. He could rat out the other infiltrators and those infiltrators will automatically be targeted for hammerings and execution. Perhaps the leader himself could be so happy at his gold studded room that he decides to stay, at that point the rest of the group settles in your fort.

Shore, that could be a part of the negotiation screen. About the meteorite- Ok, it could be smaller or whatnot. I just thought that it would be funny to ad that. Perhaps not. Not all of the events should/could/will be added.

Also, added Feud.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2011, 11:06:49 am »

I added hail.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2011, 04:59:11 pm »

hail seconded
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2011, 08:02:36 pm »

Hail Cæsar!

(What? Oh... nevermind.)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2011, 08:08:00 pm »

I think it should be said that the game doesn't have events happen because "oh an event needs to happen"; things happen due to the procedural nature of the game.  The game isn't going to spawn bandits or bad traders specifically to torment your fort or whatever- there will simply be people in the world predisposed to banditry and bad trading in the world that will eventually make their way to your door.  It's a bit more complicated than Sim City "oh no a tornado" type things, but infinitely more fun, since it isn't solely 'bad luck' as the cause.  If you check the power goals in the dev notes, you'll get a sense of what is planned.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2011, 08:25:04 pm »

What about survivors of a battle. Like one day, you get a message,
SOLDIERS! THEY LOOK INJURED!
And they are heavily armed and can be either good or bad. They either join your fort as squads, or take it by force. Maybe after a while, raiders will come to kill the soldiers.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2011, 03:45:25 pm »

I think it should be said that the game doesn't have events happen because "oh an event needs to happen"; things happen due to the procedural nature of the game.  The game isn't going to spawn bandits or bad traders specifically to torment your fort or whatever- there will simply be people in the world predisposed to banditry and bad trading in the world that will eventually make their way to your door.  It's a bit more complicated than Sim City "oh no a tornado" type things, but infinitely more fun, since it isn't solely 'bad luck' as the cause.  If you check the power goals in the dev notes, you'll get a sense of what is planned.

Not at all. What I suggest is symply that these cases would be possible if the right sircumstances were there. The game wouldn`t have to generate a hermit just for the fort that is there. A hermit is just usually a savant hill dwarf(but all dwarfs are savants to some extent.) Also, the weather events woul be a sort of "bad luck" because, lets face it, weather is pretty random(dependingf on the biomes).

Another question would be this- Do FB`s go against what you said. Because if they don`t, then this game is just angry at me(my fort got 3 FB visitations in a row. IN ONE SEASON).

@Icee77: I don`t know about that. It would be weird that wounded soldiers would be comming to attack you. I mean, think about it "Oh MY ARM!!! ITS GONE!!!...Hey look! dwarfs! Lets go steal their socks.". But the abillity to have people who are wounded be able to come to your fort for refuge IS a neat thing.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2011, 03:47:09 pm »

Let's make those feature first appear in world-gen and later worry about in-game purpose k :)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2011, 06:01:25 pm »

@Icee77: I don`t know about that. It would be weird that wounded soldiers would be comming to attack you. I mean, think about it "Oh MY ARM!!! ITS GONE!!!...Hey look! dwarfs! Lets go steal their socks.". But the abillity to have people who are wounded be able to come to your fort for refuge IS a neat thing.
Not that I have many reasons to support this idea or otherwise, but deserters or routed soldiers from some battle over the hill (could have been a major civilisation battle or just a local skirmish of some kind) could indeed "just wander" into sight of your fortress and take a fancy to your food, drink, less threadbare clothing or the local women/men.  (Except dwarves seem not to be psychologically suited for anything other than mutual pair-bonding, so you can probably scratch the latter.)

In-game, though, you only ever generally get (by an over-generalisation that I've just made) entities who are either Friendlies, Hostiles or Wildlife, and you'd really need to have a more 'floating' nature for soldiers of unknown disposition to be accepted but then start sock-pinching, perhaps only being notified when Urist McSockOwner happens to notice what Urist McMercenary has been walking around the fortress in.

(I know that Friendlies can turn Hostile if provoked (or if going beserk/mad/etc) and there is the case of subterranean civilisations transitioning from arguably-the-second-condition to arguably-the-first-condition.  Perhaps it already is fluid enough, behind the scenes, but there needs to be more work at the Unit-List display level in order to allow hidden intentions or obviously revised statuses...)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2011, 03:56:49 am »

... :o

Where dod you see underground civilizations? Where!?

Anyway, yeah, I'l add the "dorfy mcdorfus is wandering the mapsus" to the list.

Also, WHY ARE YOU SAYING THAT THIS SHOULDN't BE STICKIED. IT'S ALL RAINSEEKERS FAULT! MAY YOUR DWARFS FALL DOWN A WELL!!!  ::)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2011, 04:50:02 am »

Where dod you see underground civilizations? Where!?

Well, the answer's sort of in the question.  But I'll say no more.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2011, 06:11:29 am »

No, what I mean is I havent seen any underground civs in quite a while.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some new event's perhaps?
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2011, 12:39:22 am »

I have an idea for a plague event!

If you have a certain amount of rotting corpses, blood, vomit and vermin on your map, eventually the corpses and vermin will start emitting yellow, infectious misama. The miasma for the plague will have certain syndromes that ALWAYS will be eventually fatal. Infected dwarfs will also emitt infectious miasma. If you dispose of the corpses and kill the vermin the plague will end. Sometimes, blood and other secretions will emitt miasma.

Some vermin WILL NOT aid towards a plague. Bumblebees and fluffy wamblers come to mind.

I have another idea!

Extremely skilled bandits that come to your fort and demand it to be their base of operation. If you accept, you will not be able to use a military and the bandits will occasionly wreak havoc for fun (claiming artifacts, having unlawful spores with someone, killing dwarfs they don't like etc). Eventually, the dwarfs will start to plan a revolt and try to fight the bandits.
The problem with this otherwise good idea is as Battlefailed proved this is already in the game it just doesnt show a message.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6