Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

should this topic be stickied

Yes.
- 49 (64.5%)
Make it a itsy bitsy better and then yes.(Post HOW!)
- 8 (10.5%)
Nah, tooooooo cmplicated. My elf head can't take this.
- 19 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Some new events perhaps?  (Read 10812 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: Some new events perhaps?
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2011, 05:12:43 am »

Havent heard of that. Sorry. I think it reffers more to the Black Plague.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2011, 10:09:44 am »

Deity Mandates that would provoke a god's wrath if unfulfilled?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Some new event's perhaps?
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2011, 10:54:14 am »

I have an idea for a plague event!

If you have a certain amount of rotting corpses, blood, vomit and vermin on your map, eventually the corpses and vermin will start emitting yellow, infectious misama. The miasma for the plague will have certain syndromes that ALWAYS will be eventually fatal. Infected dwarfs will also emitt infectious miasma. If you dispose of the corpses and kill the vermin the plague will end. Sometimes, blood and other secretions will emitt miasma.

Some vermin WILL NOT aid towards a plague. Bumblebees and fluffy wamblers come to mind.

I have another idea!

Extremely skilled bandits that come to your fort and demand it to be their base of operation. If you accept, you will not be able to use a military and the bandits will occasionly wreak havoc for fun (claiming artifacts, having unlawful spores with someone, killing dwarfs they don't like etc). Eventually, the dwarfs will start to plan a revolt and try to fight the bandits.
The problem with this otherwise good idea is as Battlefailed proved this is already in the game it just doesnt show a message.
I'm pretty sure it's not in the game. There's a system where the more filth you have on the map, the higher the chance of dwarfs getting infected in the game, but not that to my knowlege.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2011, 02:01:22 am »

Sortof a bump and sortof not. I will put a link to this topic in my sig.

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2011, 04:27:02 am »

every now and then a portion of a, say, longland grass harvest, develops mutations which make everyone consuming them hallucinate and become disoriented for a while; meat and fish carry worms halving the nutritional value of those items. flies would spread worm infections when food's sitting outside of barrels in non-mixed mega piles. birds eat flies.

in case you wind up exporting tainted food, you'd not get a caravan for a while.  ... alchemists would be performing quality checks on the food supplies to insure that trade can go on .. while learning to extract the essences of bad food-stuff into syndrome causing bolt poisons.

Elendur

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I've got so many games to play, and so little time
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2011, 05:28:08 am »

Natural stuff:
A real snow storm- Instead of a snow storm causing some small snow(bad if youre a food collectin elf!), a real snow storm should snow SO HARD that *mounds* of snow will be created. dwarfs will find it hard to cross through the snow and it will take a long time to cross through it. the snow mounds can be mined out though.
I think this point is really great to see, but to say it can be MINED out is... not so great. Have anyone ever used a pick to remove snow? That is not as easy as it sounds. Shovels on the other hand, that is a tool I would use. ;)
Thanks you, Toady, for DF. It has provided me with countless hours of fun and FUN.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2011, 05:10:48 am »

Natural stuff:
A real snow storm- Instead of a snow storm causing some small snow(bad if youre a food collectin elf!), a real snow storm should snow SO HARD that *mounds* of snow will be created. dwarfs will find it hard to cross through the snow and it will take a long time to cross through it. the snow mounds can be mined out though.
I think this point is really great to see, but to say it can be MINED out is... not so great. Have anyone ever used a pick to remove snow? That is not as easy as it sounds. Shovels on the other hand, that is a tool I would use. ;)

Yeah, that would be a nice addition. Right now you can mod shovels but they don't do anything new.

@micha Umm...what? ??? why? That is a bit too complicated.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2011, 02:21:54 pm »

Emulating real-world situations, by my reckoning, given how certain cereal crops are known to be prone to hallucination-giving contaminations, and of course meat doesn't just give off a smell, look horrible and then evaporate but invariably (except where the original animal is nuked with sufficient broad-spectrum anti-everything stuff in their feed) have nasties in them even when "good" to eat, but the nasties still thrive in most circumstances if you give them long enough.  Fly-borne disease is self-explanatory.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2011, 02:30:30 pm »

Emulating real-world situations, by my reckoning, given how certain cereal crops are known to be prone to hallucination-giving contaminations, and of course meat doesn't just give off a smell, look horrible and then evaporate but invariably (except where the original animal is nuked with sufficient broad-spectrum anti-everything stuff in their feed) have nasties in them even when "good" to eat, but the nasties still thrive in most circumstances if you give them long enough.  Fly-borne disease is self-explanatory.

The crop thing only happens in our modern day corrupted world. Also, when mean spoils in DF, it generates MIASMA. so thats an indicator. Those are not the sort of events I think the game would need.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2011, 03:03:21 pm »

The crop thing only happens in our modern day corrupted world. Also, when mean spoils in DF, it generates MIASMA. so thats an indicator. Those are not the sort of events I think the game would need.

Ergot is ancient enough to have been implicated as having been deliberately applied in certain iron-age ceremonies (with physical indications in suitably preserved remains found in peat-bogs, IIRC).  I can't think of any hallucinogenic contamination that isn't either just a resurgence of the ergot/similar contaminations of times past (getting past our now rigorous food standards procedures/etc) or a case of deliberate spiking.  Dioxin poisoning is a much-fretted situation only really possibly since modern times started (also PCBs, lead, etc) but not really in a hallucinogenic way.  At least, if it does, it's well after a load of other ill-effects are felt.

I know meat generates miasma in DF.  But I took micha's suggestion as being that there should be a "slightly off" stage in the food cycle in which it wasn't totally rejected out of hand (and not miasma-producing) but wasn't as good for you as fresh/suitably-preserved supplies would be.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2011, 03:11:20 pm »

Ok, that would work bit its on a totally different note. its not for this topic.  :P

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2011, 07:07:53 pm »

I think this may be relevant to your interests.

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2011, 09:53:44 am »

For when the Military Arc is Completed: Your Civilization orders you to send X Champions, Y Soldiers and Z conscripts for a war or something, and can be negotiated with a Recruiter. Also, volunteers can prepare by taking a weapon/shield and some food and signing up as a volunteer, and counting for the conscript quota. You can also refuse to send and threaten to break away.

If you do send soldiers and the war breaks out, there is a chance of a seige, and there is also a chance that a friendly army with your own squad in it to help you defeat said seige.

For when the Caravan Arc is completed: You can build wagons and send your own caravans, and deal at THEIR depot instead of your own once they arrive. Caravans have a chance to become missing so send soldiers to guard them! A wagon full of tribute to the mountainhomes might also bring lots of skilled migrants, lax taxes, or a complement of the Royal Guard to scope out your fort before the Royals themselves arrive.

For Integration of Adventurers: Night Creatures can form in fortress mode and form a colony nearby. Adventurers might come to try to kill said Night Creatures. I don't know if this is there but I've never seen night creatures at my fort before.
Adventurers might also come, stay at your dining room/inn if you let them in, and rest. They can either be friendly and perhaps pay for the food after they leave by leaving coins/loot or be hostile, and attempt to steal your Artifact Adamatine Axe so they can use it. Also, if any FB or Megabeast is found, they will cancel all stuff, gather their equipment, and attempt to fight the FB or Megabeast. Sometimes, they gain reknown at your fortress and a legend tag "Adventurer The Slayer of the Broodlings has gained reknown at Knifeslaughtered by killing the Forgotten Beast Deathhelmets." and influencing engravings.

For Traders themselves: They can sometimes arrive wounded by bandits and need to rest before trading, and are sometimes followed by an ambush squad of said bandits. This just means that the ambushers who follow caravans struck before arriving at your fort, but the traders managed to get away their first strike. This also means they might have lost the Liaison or head trader, wagons or pack animals, guards, and various goods. Finally, you can attempt to clear the road after the Military Arc by sending your squad of troops to flush the bandits out of the trade route. Not sure if it should be this complicated or if we should stay with ambushers strike caravans on map.

For other Civilizations: Sometimes they send their own settling party of elves/humans/goblins/kobolds to try to settle the same area, most likely during the first year if they didn't hear of you. They will have more or less members depending on civ and you can attempt to integrate them as migrants, let them form their own fort in peace, negotiate them to leave by paying them off or any other !!FUN!! things.
In the same way, herds of X-men might migrate on or near map to establish a colony/breeding area, making for a constant source of fighting until you Military Arc sending troops to clear it out, or somehow negotiate with them.

For more 'Natural' events: Migrations like the Serengeti Wildebeast or Monarch Butterfly migration, or even just the Canadian Geese-style migrations might have a path through your fort. Get your population ready for trapping, hunting, butchering, tanning, zoo-making, leatherworking frenzy as a massive herd/flock of them travels across your map, trampling things along the way (and turning saplings into mush) and making easy targets. Other civs might send harvesters to bring their own kills, but they are usually nuetral and not hostile unless you steal their kill.
Pockets of reactive/poisonous gas might be stuck underground, maybe near coal veins or brimestone like real life. If you hit a flammable pocket and manage to make a spark (I don't know, mining flint with a steel pickaxe? dwarves smoking? the kitchen/furnace?) it goes boom cave-in style, at least until we design a better cave-in/explosion system.
Stlagmitse and staglites (lol fail spelling) are like the columns in the caverns except they don't reach all the way up/down, and some have ramps on them allowing dwarves to climb up for a better view/crossbow platform.
Not sure if fire imps are magical, magma clowns, hatched creatures or whatnot, but it might be possible to find a breeding cave filled with females/portal to the circus/eggs/young imps allowing you to trap them for breeding, gather eggs for hatching or cooking, or send a message to the clowns hiding in the portal.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:09:06 am by chuckthegr8 »

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2011, 02:07:28 pm »

Infidelity! A dwarf will sleep with another dwarfs spouse causing a fight. The winner of the fight takes over the spouse.

Fort meeting! All dwarves will gather and socialize. Random social events occur whose text messages is derived from Dwarf statistics.

"Urist McFriendly has complimented UristMcWarrior on his masterwork iron warhammer."

SPORTS!

Once every year, friendly goblins and elves will arrive to the fort demanding a rugby match. The dwarves will have to create a rugby team where agility and wrestling help them succeed at winning matches. Happy thoughts from winning the tournament, bad thoughts from watching your D0rf team lose!

Workers revolt! Workers who have been at the fort for more than 3 months without getting a room and a bed will refuse to work, and instead drink at a double rate and start fights with the dwarfs who have rooms. They will also take over workshops to make protest signs!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:14:55 pm by simonthedwarf »
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2011, 06:29:02 pm »

Workers revolt should have different triggers depending on how much work they actually did, contributions to the fortress and such. (ie hauler-destined migrants to a new, low value fort won't feel good about themselves revolting. Experienced Craftsmen in a giant fort with gilded halls and dozens of artifacts would)

As for sports, you should be able to establish military and non military sports: Military would be for Crossbows-aiming, axes/swords- how many blocks of wood can you chop through? Spears for stabbing, wooden weapons for sparring-like matches. Warhammers: how big a dent can you make in a bar of copper?
Non Military: Swimming! Running! Booze drinking and roast eating! Impromptu craftsdwarfship! Showing off masterworks!

Also, maybe for events like this, dwarves can have 'Desires' for what they want; a dwarf can desire to become a Talented Stonecrafter, or maybe a Legendary Sworddwarf, or win a sporting event. They will practice during 'breaks' and still get the break happiness depending on how dedicated they are. I think this might be a good idea!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6