Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 945 946 [947] 948 949 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1455210 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #14190 on: March 17, 2017, 07:11:49 am »

The Nintendo eShop has a few Monster Hunter games on sale for the 3DS. Can anyone recommend one for a series newbie? Which one is the best?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14191 on: March 17, 2017, 07:52:14 am »

The Nintendo eShop has a few Monster Hunter games on sale for the 3DS. Can anyone recommend one for a series newbie? Which one is the best?

All the games are hardcore and the tutorial in each will only get you so far, so I'd recommend getting the latest one (for the U.S. I think it's still Generations) and looking up wiki tutorials and tutorial videos about how the game works. Also, the newer ones let you have 2 feline companions, so early fights are a bit easier if you download the DLC ones for free and use them.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14192 on: March 17, 2017, 09:20:23 am »

Monster Hunter is one of those iterative games that gets more feature complete with time. Buy the newest.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14193 on: March 18, 2017, 12:48:45 am »

To be fair, Generations is not entirely indicative of the series as a whole since they added a bunch of Devil May Cry style flashy moves and special attacks.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14194 on: March 18, 2017, 02:26:13 am »

I found MH3U to be a good introduction to the series... or at least that's how I felt it being my first MH game.
MH4U adds a few things and I felt was a little more challenging, and unlike 3U you can actually play online multiplayer.
MHGen is the latest in the series and more likely than not has the most active online community. It does throw a lot of stuff at you at once which might not be so great for a beginner. However the "DMC-type moves" mentioned above do make the game easier, IMO. (It's also something I hope the tone down a lot or remove entirely in the next generation of games)

If you're not planning on doing multiplayer I feel MH3U has the best singleplayer. The entirety of low-rank is essentially a giant tutorial where you don't have to really worry about other monsters showing up to ruin your fight (unless you're fighting Qurupeco, which is the 'other monsters showing up to ruin your fight tutorial' monster.)

If you do want to play multiplayer... well it's a toss-up between 4U and Gen. I would say go with Gen simply because it's more active and may be more indicative of what to expect from future games in terms of weapons, movesets, palicos, etc. The weapon upgrade system also gives you a better sense of progression than in the other games.

By the way, if you do pick up a Monster Hunter game, be prepared for 50 hours of gameplay to be the equivalent of pushing start after booting up in other games. You'll be sinking hours and hours into it... or you'll hate it and never play it again. it's not for everyone.

E: Oh yes, almost forgot. You can probably post in the Monster Hunter thread and find someone who'd be willing to play multiplayer with you if you don't feel comfortable playing with pugs.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:30:55 am by OzyTheSage »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14195 on: March 18, 2017, 06:11:47 am »

However the "DMC-type moves" mentioned above do make the game easier, IMO. (It's also something I hope the tone down a lot or remove entirely in the next generation of games)

Based on current video game trends (e.g. Demon's Souls > Dark Souls 3), I wouldn't count on it. In fact, I bet they double down harder. Give it five years and Monster Hunter will be a character action game with aerial rave combos and cinematic ultras.

The key point on enjoying Monster Hunter, I feel, is trying all of the weapon types (even the ones you think you don't think you want to try) and actually learning how they work. As in, don't just mash normal attack a couple times and get wrecked by your first monster, maybe check a tutorial video and see how you are actually supposed to use the weapon. I had so much difficulty in MH until I tried Hammer and figured out the charge smash is actually your real "normal" attack. After that it's all learning split second dodge timings and increasingly optimizing your play until you feel like an untouchable god.

Lastly, spend a few minutes learning a monster's moveset before actually trying to fight it.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14196 on: March 18, 2017, 01:35:58 pm »

To be fair, Generations is not entirely indicative of the series as a whole since they added a bunch of Devil May Cry style flashy moves and special attacks.
A lot of people seem to be against said flashy moves/special attacks, and I don't know why. I see no issue with them, considering they add a bit of complexity and customization to the game, while still operating under the usual MH conventions, i.e. every special move can be whiffed or interrupted if you don't time/place it well.

When games break their own conventions, it's not always a bad thing. The new Legend of Zelda game went open world and introduced weapons with durability, and it's seen critical acclaim by the large majority. Having played it myself, I can say for certain it's not as perfect as some people might claim it is, but it is well-crafted.

tl;dr - Games can change for the better, as long as thought and effort is put into the change by the developers.

Sorry for the little rant; I don't want to seriously derail this thread, but I do feel the need to defend the changes to a game series that I think are unjustly viewed as bad just because they mess with the status quo.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14197 on: March 18, 2017, 01:43:48 pm »

I went with Generations after the first two posts recommended it and no one provided any counterpoints for nearly 24 hours :P

Finished downloading a short time ago and I'm slowly getting into it when I don't have other things on my plate. Does every character start with a sword and shield or is that due to some creation choices?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #14198 on: March 18, 2017, 01:49:22 pm »

You actually have a basic version of every weapon in your home, and the storage chest in there. By default you're equipped with the sword and shield but you can change whenever.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14199 on: March 18, 2017, 01:56:13 pm »

Y'know, I swear one of the NPCs mentioned that. But when I checked the chest, it appeared to be empty. Dunno what the deal with that is.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14200 on: March 18, 2017, 01:58:27 pm »

Might I suggest taking this to the Monster Hunter thread instead?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14201 on: March 21, 2017, 08:02:58 pm »

Greenmangaming being excellent as usual, they have NieR: Automata up for 20% off, Steam keys only. Just picked it up since I was planning on waiting for a sale otherwise.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14202 on: March 21, 2017, 08:39:44 pm »

Nice, thanks for sharing. I was considering picking that up soon. When does the sale end?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14203 on: March 21, 2017, 08:54:34 pm »

Not listed. Though given how often GMG offers special deals and general-use discount coupons it's probably more difficult to find a time when it isn't on a reduced price.

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14204 on: March 24, 2017, 09:16:04 am »

Metro and Last Light Reduxes are bundled together on Steam for $6 until March 27th.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 945 946 [947] 948 949 ... 1134