Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454413 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #13950 on: December 20, 2016, 12:45:29 pm »

bundle stars has mad max at 5$ https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/mad-max

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13951 on: December 20, 2016, 12:48:49 pm »

What sort of game is it though?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13952 on: December 20, 2016, 12:58:09 pm »

I should reinstall Mad Max now that I've got a GPU that can run it well.

Vehicular combat (including shooting off car components or ripping them off with your harpoon). Arkham-style hand-to-hand. Light gunplay when you have ammo.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13953 on: December 20, 2016, 01:01:47 pm »

The impression I got from Yahtzee is that it's a rather generic openworld game. Like GTA, only with less stuff to do. Great if you wanna RP the Mad Max experience, average to mediocre for everyone else.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13954 on: December 20, 2016, 01:07:01 pm »

A brief segment by The Game Theorists praised the car modifications and showed off some vehicle combat, but I trust Yahtzee about the game as a whole.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13955 on: December 20, 2016, 01:14:06 pm »

I don't trust Yahtzee at all but other outlets called it mediocre at best.

Steam has a bundle of old Sierra games at 91% off.

https://www.humblebundle.com/sierra-bundle-strikes-again
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 04:14:40 pm by BigD145 »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13956 on: December 20, 2016, 04:31:47 pm »

From what I've seen, my stoner friends all really love that game but everyone else I know doesn't like it.

YMMV

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13957 on: December 20, 2016, 06:14:32 pm »

It's sort of like a kinda bland mix of car thief sim and Arkham punching and countering... some people seem to like it tho, probably mostly because of the franchise.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #13958 on: December 21, 2016, 04:08:49 am »

I don't trust Yahtzee at all but other outlets called it mediocre at best.

Steam has a bundle of old Sierra games at 91% off.

https://www.humblebundle.com/sierra-bundle-strikes-again

I watched a pre-release review and I was amazed it kept me glued just watching car blow up. But I agree thinking of actually playing it when checking mechanics sounds ripetitive and bland. Just posted the sale because 5$ is the line where I know many consider buying interesting but not amazing games.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13959 on: December 21, 2016, 03:59:43 pm »

I got Mad Max in the humble thing a while back. I'd say it's worth $5, visuals/artwork are on-point and the car combat is fun. The game definitely gets repetitive after a while, it's an assassins' creed style thing where you find lookout points (hot air balloons) and then complete all the challenges in the area in any order- basically, the standard Ubisoft open world game. You upgrade your car and character, the main point of the story is just that you're trying to upgrade your car with supercharged V8 engine so Mad Max can cross the desert and presumably go on to do whatever happens in the next movie. It gets VERY repetitive after a while, the worst offenders being the strongholds you have to fistfight and solve light puzzles to complete. After some point, all there is to do is get upgrades for your car that you don't need to beat the game, and it just feels like tedium for tedium's sake. If you watched Totalbiscuit's video, where he stops playing and says something to the effect of "it's been interesting so far, if it doesn't start to get too repetitive after this it will be a great game" he's at pretty much the exact point before the game started to feel like a drag in my opinion. Still, I'd recommend it for $5 if you want to smash some cars up and don't mind doing a good chunk of batman combat to find scrap to upgrade your car. Driving around the desert is definitely enjoyable. You don't even have to finish it just get to the story mission in the airport terminal, that's the best part. Find all the unique cars, they're fun to drive. If there's a cheat tool somewhere, give yourself a bunch of free scrap once you start getting bored so you can try the best car upgrades.

Anyway, I noticed that Warhammer: Vermintide is on sale for $10. I could maybe go for a good L4D style game if there's people playing. Does anyone here play? What do you guys think of it?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #13960 on: December 21, 2016, 04:13:32 pm »

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/featured-deals

Paradox Interactive is having a sale on a bunch of their games, some of them really big ones. They're the guys that do Stellaris, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis, etc.. Lots of Grand Strategy / 4X games.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13961 on: December 21, 2016, 04:19:24 pm »

Anyway, I noticed that Warhammer: Vermintide is on sale for $10. I could maybe go for a good L4D style game if there's people playing. Does anyone here play? What do you guys think of it?
I play it, mostly because my friends made me buy it and play it with me on occasion.

It has its strengths but it has a lot of weaknesses too.

Strengths:
1. Easily the best FPS melee combat to date. It's not as technical as something like Mount and Blade but it's way, way more visceral and entertaining. There's just so much joy about the way you use your weapons. I can't really describe it, you need to actually cleave through a horde of clan rats with your great axe to understand what I mean. Seriously. It's so good. So so good.

2. The characters are very entertaining. They also have great, diverse loadouts and great, diverse dialogue trees / banter. Take the dwarf for example. He can use a single handed axe, axe + shield, mace, mace + shield, great axe, great hammer, rifle, crossbow, flame pistols, etc. They're all very different from one another. Playing with a mace is completely and totally different from using the single handed axe. So even though it seems like there's only 4 guys, there's basically like 10 subclasses or something.

3. The game is fun with friends, and also hard as balls so you guys don't just breeze through with your group. There's a lot of nuance and intricacy to the combat. Again, it builds point number one but the combat really is just that good.

Weaknesses:
1. The loot system is garbage. It's total shit. It's RNG on RNG on RNG on RNG. They give you crafting, but that has more RNG on RNG. It's nonsense. You have RNG for your stats, RNG for the class the weapon is for, RNG for what weapon it is, RNG for rarity, etc. etc. They tried to alleviate it with the quest board but all that did was add more RNG. It's dumb. It wouldn't be so dumb if the loot was just cosmetic or something but no, you must have legendary gear if you want to stand a chance at beating the higher difficulty quests and DLC. But wait, you can't just farm low level quests to get legendary gear because you can only get them on the higher difficulties. So you need legendary gear to farm quests to get legendary gear. You better hope the legendary gear you get has the correct RNGed stats too. Oh, and that it's even the weapon you want in the first place.

But wait there's more! You literally get shafted if your team dies during a mission. So even if you spent 40 minutes clearing your very hard difficulty map, if you die at the end you get nothing but some idiotic shards or some shit.

Did I mention it gets worse? Even your opportunity to get a legendary weapon is determined by RNG. See, at the end of every mission you roll dice to see your loot. This dice is, of course, RNG. The loot table is also RNG by the way so most of the time there's no legendary on it and if there is, it's usually when you roll a perfect roll. Okay, so if you want to improve your odds you need more dice basically. You get these several ways. One is to carry tomes around which take up an item slot and you must carry them to the end of the game. Another is to collect grimoires, and every time you do your hp is cut by 25% of its total. Most levels have 3 so you will be wandering around with 25% health which means you die in one hit to a random clanrat. There is an item that significantly reduces this penalty, but it's an RNG legendary drop so good luck. And finally you can stumble across loot die in the mission but this is RNG as well.

Do you see what I mean? It's total horseshit.

2. Some of the maps are great. Some are idiotic. Some are WAY WAY WAY WAY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long. What usually happens is everyone (of which there's like... 10 people) just ends up playing on the same 2 maps forever so they can grind for loot. It's stupid.

3. It's for these reasons that you need to play with friends, as at least then you can experience other maps and you can faff around instead of being forced to be perfect when playing with groups trying to grind loot. I do not recommend buying this solo unless you hate life.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13962 on: December 21, 2016, 05:26:35 pm »

Generally I agree with Umiman.

1. Really engaging, visceral melee. Skill, timing, judgment, all of them come into play. You feel like a god when you cleave through an entire horde of rats on the highest difficulty without taking a scratch, because it takes a lot of work to pull it off. Or when you duel a Rat Ogre and win and save your whole team.

2. Beautiful, evocative levels.

3. Great Audio.

4. Really "gets" Old World Warhammer.

The bad:

1. Replayability is....sort of thing. I put over 100 hours into Vermintide with my friends before I burned out on it. But I played in the beginning when it was literally "Play Horn of Magnus or get the fuck out." By the time the DLCs and additional modes and stuff came out, I had all my oranges and knew the levels well enough to be bored by them. L4D 1 and 2 didn't have this problem because there was no loot, so everyone generally played all the levels. But because there's Tomes and Grimiores in VT and some levels are obviously longer and more difficult than others....players min/maxed the shit out of it early on, to the game's detriment.

2. Who is host vs. who is not does seem to have a relatively big impact on how fair the game feels. The host is of course, dialed in. But based on your connection to the host, you might get stabbed by a rat who visually is too far away to actually hit you, attacks can slip through your blocks...it's kind of annoying, especially in a game where at higher difficulties, one or two spears to the chest can be the difference between finishing and dying. This all may have improved with recent updates.

3. The loot system. I want to be a little more fair on this one than him. It's not great, and it is RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG. But what else were they to do? They wanted a highly replayable game so you kind of need that RNG to keep people playing or they will gear out very quickly. Or you end up creating 100 tiers of meaningless loot to keep up with the playerbase (ala Diablo 3 and the Division and what a lot of other aRPG games with "seasons" do.) It's not great, but where it is now is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy better than it used to be at the game's release. At least now you can convert garbage drops into resources for another chance at a roll for something you do want. At release it was pretty much just "Didn't get the loot you want? Go fuck yourself and run some more missions and pray to RNGigmar some more." It's still more or less that, but at least all the cruft you accrue can eventually be rolled into new weapons or to reforge the weapons you already have. So it's a decent loop.

You better hope the legendary gear you get has the correct RNGed stats too. Oh, and that it's even the weapon you want in the first place.

Gonna disagree here, although I haven't played in months. The upgrade impact between blue and orange isn't that massive. I comfortably played for a long time with blues at one less than the hardest difficulty. You don't need legendaries to succeed, you just want them. They do make the game slightly easier, yes, but it's not replacement for skill, level knowledge and judgment. I've watched groups of geared players fail where groups of less geared players won simply by the decision to fight hordes at a doorway instead of out in the open.

If you're paying $10 or less for Vermintide, I'd say for a Warhammer fan it's money well spent even if ultimately you don't play the shit out of it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:23:45 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13963 on: December 22, 2016, 01:55:02 am »

Is the A.I. in Vermintide quite a bit worse than in Left 4 Dead or about the same? I found the A.I. in Left 4 Dead to be competent and enjoyable to play with for the most part and peoples remarks on it is the major point against me getting Vermintide since I don't play much multiplayer.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13964 on: December 22, 2016, 02:18:45 am »

AI got another of many overhauls not too long ago, which I haven't tried. Seemed focused on trying to make the AI more responsive.

In some cases the AI is preferable to players since it can usually rescue you and, at least last I played, tends to have a high sense of self-preservation. (It'd block its ass off and hold a lot of the horde at bay rather than attacking.) Not much use for actually killing things though. But in a game where players will charge off and rambo into a horde and get taken down, or fall off a ledge, or fight off in a different direction than you, just having a body shield to draw some attention off of you so you can kill is pretty helpful.

On the other hand, you tend to get overwhelmed when the swarm isn't put down in a good order. And several sections in many maps require things like carrying barrels and shit, which the AI is 100% useless for. And it can't do crazy, "save the run" maneuvers and adapt like players can.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:26:01 am by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 1134