Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457017 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread [STEAM SUMMER SALE - PREPARE YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS]
« Reply #11415 on: June 11, 2015, 01:07:33 pm »

Avernum 2 reboot on GOG is 50% off 19.99. On Steam iit's 70% off... wait for it.... 44.99. What a deal. Buy now while supplies last!
Huh, the Steam option sounds a lot worse but it's actually just $13.50 vs GOG's $10.00.  But definitely a better deal on GOG yeah, especially since it's DRM free.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11416 on: June 11, 2015, 01:15:18 pm »

Humble book bundle is Jim Henson stuff.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11417 on: June 11, 2015, 01:35:09 pm »

Poor servers.  While I couldn't do anything about it, I at one point saw GTAV for $20 and some other game for 178% off.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11418 on: June 11, 2015, 01:36:19 pm »

The goal of a business is to make money. Why would steam invest money in policing small price hikes prior to sales? It will do nothing but cost the money. You can say it might get them good PR but I'm sure they've done a cost/benefit analysis and if that analysis showed that the positive PR from doing this would outweigh the money invested they would have done so already.

Why would government invest money in providing social projects for homeless and poor people? Costs them money, has a "small to negligible" PR return and in the "cost/benefit analysis" it makes no sense.

And yet if they didn't do that, we'd say government is (more) horrible. They do it because it's the right thing to do, the social contract. Yet we give business a pass because, I guess, we're so well trained as free market consumers we're actually willing to argue for businesses making more money, at our expense, despite the laws and rules set forth that tell them not to exploit either people or the system.

I guess the expectation is, if you make money, you have to be dragged kicking and screaming into not being a piece of shit and that's ok.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:41:30 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11419 on: June 11, 2015, 01:42:41 pm »

The goal of a business is to make money. Why would steam invest money in policing small price hikes prior to sales? It will do nothing but cost the money. You can say it might get them good PR but I'm sure they've done a cost/benefit analysis and if that analysis showed that the positive PR from doing this would outweigh the money invested they would have done so already.

Why would government invest money in providing social projects for homeless and poor people? Costs them money, has a "small to negligible" PR return and in the "cost/benefit analysis" it makes no sense.

And yet if they didn't do that, we'd say government is (more) horrible. They do it because it's the right thing to do, the social contract. Yet we give business a pass because, I guess, we're so well trained as free market consumers we're actually willing to argue for businesses making more money, at our expense, despite the laws and rules set forth that tell them not to exploit either people or the system.
Because the primary goal of a government isn't (or at least shouldn't be) to make money. You're comparing organizations with different goals. I can do that too, but it doesn't help the discussion any. "Charities give stuff away for free to poor people! Why would they do that? It costs so much and the publicity they get is negligible! They'd make a lot more if they invested donations into new products and sold them."

Bottom line is that it's not Steam's place to police anything beyond their control. The most they could do is blacklist specific vendors and report them, and doing that would just damage their reputation with vendors and shrink their service catalog.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11420 on: June 11, 2015, 01:46:27 pm »

I guess the expectation is, if you make money, you have to be dragged kicking and screaming into not being a piece of shit and that's ok.

Certain social projects are cheaper than others with longer lasting benefits that lead to more tax revenue to support such projects. Gov't still can't turn a profit.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11421 on: June 11, 2015, 01:47:21 pm »

So are there any bay12 teams on this promotional game thing dealio? I see a few people on my list started a game, and I'd rather join a group from here than random pugs on the interweb at large.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11422 on: June 11, 2015, 01:48:42 pm »

So are there any bay12 teams on this promotional game thing dealio? I see a few people on my list started a game, and I'd rather join a group from here than random pugs on the interweb at large.
I'd love to join a bay12 effort.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11423 on: June 11, 2015, 01:52:12 pm »

As would I, if the game worked properly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11424 on: June 11, 2015, 01:55:00 pm »

Bottom line is that it's not Steam's place to police anything beyond their control.

But it's not beyond their control. They are the best positioned, in fact the only people positioned, to do anything about it!

The most they could do is blacklist specific vendors and report them, and doing that would just damage their reputation with vendors and shrink their service catalog.

A simple function that evaluates whether a price a game has held for months mysteriously increased 100 fold right before a sale would be a good start. Having actual rules and guidelines for their vendors, and having punishments for not following them, would be another good step. Treating their #1 game vendor site in the world like what they say and do actually matters to the overall climate of business (and not just in the "oh no, can't make the game companies mad!" sense) would be a good step.

There is plenty Steam could do, if it didn't put money at the absolute pinnacle of ethics. No argument works when you say money is more important than anything else, ever and always.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:57:04 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11425 on: June 11, 2015, 01:57:15 pm »

Alright alright, I'm done.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11426 on: June 11, 2015, 02:08:52 pm »

Are the games that got boosted prices before the sale cheaper still on sale than they were off sale, or are they the same or more expensive?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11427 on: June 11, 2015, 02:11:30 pm »

Are the games that got boosted prices before the sale cheaper still on sale than they were off sale, or are they the same or more expensive?

Usually they will be cheaper than the normal price. So they will raise the price 40% then give it a 50% discount, assuming the buyer will only see "50% off!" and not realize the base price shot up 40%. So they're calling a 10% off or w/e discount a 50% of discount.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11428 on: June 11, 2015, 02:13:58 pm »

You can probably find them cheaper with Steam codes elsewhere. Steam is enormous so publishers can afford to pull the wool over the eyes of morons. Not so at smaller sites.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11429 on: June 11, 2015, 02:22:35 pm »

40% hike + 50% discount is a 30% discount.  some of those hikes are over 100% (some over 200%) though, so they break even with 50-75% discounts.

Douchebag move, either way you cut it.

They can probably only prove it is unethical pricing if they lower the price again after the sale, or if they have a history of doing it. 

If someone threatens legal action, they need to 1) be able to expect enough in damages to make the suit worthwhile and 2) not have them just leave the price high and claim that it was a regularly scheduled reaction to market forces.

Plausible deniability is pretty high.  Steam might take up the issue, but they'll be pissing off their vendors and business partners if they do.  Sort of sucks to be them, right?  They can either make their fans mad or make the people providing their product mad.

No one else has a real percentage in it, and thats probably what the software publishers are counting on.
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 1134