Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456829 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread [STEAM SUMMER SALE - PREPARE YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS]
« Reply #11400 on: June 11, 2015, 12:06:43 pm »

Stop arguing and start looking at sales

No u.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11401 on: June 11, 2015, 12:07:31 pm »

Stop arguing and start looking at sales
Nu, we can't. The sale pages will be lol503 for at least an hour once the sale is up and running.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11402 on: June 11, 2015, 12:08:27 pm »

Don't try to sell anything from your inventory. Server ded.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread [INCOMING STEAM SUMMER SALE - PREPARE YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS]
« Reply #11403 on: June 11, 2015, 12:13:43 pm »

I'm curious why exactly so many people expect STEAM to police this? Steam is just a distribution platform which accepts payment. Amazon doesn't police the pricing of the goods they sell. If a company is performing an illegal action, it isn't up to Steam to police them. That is the job of the actual police.

Plenty of people are pissed about getting scammed on Amazon, too, and Amazon telling them it's not their problem, despite it being their site.

I don't believe being a retailer absolves you from caring what happens on your platform. Especially when you are profiting from the behavior of others on your portal. You are arguably as bad as they if you know it's happening, profit from it, and do nothing about it.

It's the same story with refunds. Steam IMO was complicit in scamming people by taking their 30% from games that were complete garbage, using stolen assets, were broken, etc.... The EU felt the same way. Gaben always wants to act like he just doesn't want to interfere in the creative/market processes, but the longer this goes on, the more I'm starting to believe he doesn't want to invest in something that will ultimately lose him money, despite it being the right thing to do.

It should be noted that the EU requirement explicitedly specifies that refunds have only to be done up untill the game is used. An, adding it to your library counts as a use.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: SALES Thread [INCOMING STEAM SUMMER SALE - PREPARE YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS]
« Reply #11404 on: June 11, 2015, 12:16:59 pm »

I'm curious why exactly so many people expect STEAM to police this? Steam is just a distribution platform which accepts payment. Amazon doesn't police the pricing of the goods they sell. If a company is performing an illegal action, it isn't up to Steam to police them. That is the job of the actual police.

Plenty of people are pissed about getting scammed on Amazon, too, and Amazon telling them it's not their problem, despite it being their site.

I don't believe being a retailer absolves you from caring what happens on your platform. Especially when you are profiting from the behavior of others on your portal. You are arguably as bad as they if you know it's happening, profit from it, and do nothing about it.

It's the same story with refunds. Steam IMO was complicit in scamming people by taking their 30% from games that were complete garbage, using stolen assets, were broken, etc.... The EU felt the same way. Gaben always wants to act like he just doesn't want to interfere in the creative/market processes, but the longer this goes on, the more I'm starting to believe he doesn't want to invest in something that will ultimately lose him money, despite it being the right thing to do.
The goal of a business is to make money. Why would steam invest money in policing small price hikes prior to sales? It will do nothing but cost the money. You can say it might get them good PR but I'm sure they've done a cost/benefit analysis and if that analysis showed that the positive PR from doing this would outweigh the money invested they would have done so already.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11405 on: June 11, 2015, 12:17:52 pm »

Looks like the servers got hit pretty hard. On the store page I'm seeing prices in reais (what I should be seeing for all titles), euros and pounds.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11406 on: June 11, 2015, 12:20:11 pm »

I can't... yeah the server is fucked. I'm getting THE WRONG GAME when I click an image.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11407 on: June 11, 2015, 12:21:33 pm »

The servers always get rekt. Its pretty much the sale-began signal at this point.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11408 on: June 11, 2015, 12:37:00 pm »

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11409 on: June 11, 2015, 12:45:30 pm »

So I noticed looking at GTA 5 before the server blowup, Rockstar kinda did a sneaky deal but not to the growing reddit discussion from above. They gave everything 25% off but all the games are now being sold in bundles with their new in game money dlc purchases. Basically for 60 bucks you get GTA 5 and a Great White Shark card worth 1.25 million for ingame money online. There are others with older games bundled in but basically they show a discount but theres no option to purchase just the game.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11410 on: June 11, 2015, 12:53:54 pm »

Gamestop does similar things with bundles. "Do you want this game? Pay $10 more and get all this shit for cheap. No, we don't just sell the game individually."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11411 on: June 11, 2015, 12:54:11 pm »

Mm... I actually noticed GOG doing something similar, a day or two ago. Had the AI War bundle for sale, but not the base game and you apparently couldn't buy the individual DLCs, just the lot in bulk. That's a really common sales tactic, though. Roughly the same dealio as having a 2 for 1 discount type thing. Individual items being 2 bucks, but two at once selling for 3.50 or somethin'. That sort of stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11412 on: June 11, 2015, 12:57:35 pm »

Avernum 2 reboot on GOG is 50% off 19.99. On Steam iit's 70% off... wait for it.... 44.99. What a deal. Buy now while supplies last!

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11413 on: June 11, 2015, 01:04:44 pm »

Mm... I actually noticed GOG doing something similar, a day or two ago. Had the AI War bundle for sale, but not the base game and you apparently couldn't buy the individual DLCs, just the lot in bulk. That's a really common sales tactic, though. Roughly the same dealio as having a 2 for 1 discount type thing. Individual items being 2 bucks, but two at once selling for 3.50 or somethin'. That sort of stuff.

By the time AI War got onto GOG, it had already been bundled as AI War Collection (2014), which implies Arcen is done adding to it.  Chopping it up into parts to add to a new vendor really doesn't make sense at that point.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #11414 on: June 11, 2015, 01:05:38 pm »

Looks like the servers got hit pretty hard. On the store page I'm seeing prices in reais (what I should be seeing for all titles), euros and pounds.
Yeah, flaky servers.  I'm seeing different prices for the same games, and alternate currencies.

Spoiler: (Big image) (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 1134