Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457315 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #10785 on: February 24, 2015, 08:56:29 am »

Kinda like some Diablo 2 clones are better than Diablo 2, and if you went back and played Diablo 2 you'd wish some of those newer features were present..

You shut your whore mouth. Or uh, provide examples. You know, for science.
Torchlight 2 is also a great Diablo 2 clone, even with eerily similar music in the first act.

They got the same guy to do the music; keep in mind that Runic are ex-Blizzard employees who made the original two Diablo games before leaving to start their own company.
It's one thing to have the same guy do the music - Jeremy Soule did excellent music for both Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander, but the tracks themselves are nothing alike. When playing through the first act of Torchlight II though, I got very eerie deja vu vibes from the music track, in places it sounds almost too much like the Diablo II first act music.

That's not a bad thing, I actually like that music and couldn't care less if they... well, can't call it plagiarizing, really. :P But I just wanted to point it out.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10786 on: February 24, 2015, 09:53:21 am »

well, at the end of the day, you just click on shit and loot pops out.  you cant expect too much from a game like this.

I was actually referencing SupCom.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10787 on: February 24, 2015, 10:05:55 am »

Oo. 

That is one I so wanted to like.  I still firmly believe that it's subtleties and refinements make it the pinnacle of pvp rts.

But yeah, dry as old breadcrumbs.  I think what I learned from it, is that I just don't enjoy RTS games any longer.  It isn't the days of Dune and Warcraft any more, and the only RTS I've been able to enjoy since then was Homeworld.

Similar with SoaSE, which I think came out around the same time as SC:  looked good, wanted to like it, in the end it just felt like another RTS.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10788 on: February 24, 2015, 10:17:22 am »

Older RTS games for me had charm in the sprites. The little buggies in Dune, the little muscley orks or knights in Warcraft.

SupCom was just kinda devoid on personality on that front, replacing it with the swarm. The art and the effects and the manuevering just never delivered the flavor though. Once I'd built like 100 air units and smoked a few enemies, I felt like I'd pretty much gotten the fun out of it I was going to.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10789 on: February 24, 2015, 12:07:21 pm »

There's not much out there that's better on delivering huge fields of wreckage, though. That's always pretty nice.

On the other hand, I will say I kinda' prefer some of the Spring games for that. Haven't been able to play supcom that much, but the scale actually seems to detract a lil' from that whole huge-bulks-of-metal-slamming-into-each-other feeling. Spring's stuff has similar UI and gameplay, but has a tighter focus that makes that cluttered battlefield of explosions thing a bit more there, y'know? Much like TA did, though that was at least in part due to said wreckage buggering the (already spotty) pathing to hell.

... I'll admit, though, I never really liked the air in the TA lineage games. I'd use the builders extensively and generally the gunships a fair bit, but it was the ground combat that was where it was at. Much more punchy, visceral, etc. Air stuff generally didn't leave wreckage, and that was a shame. Though SupCom was a little better about that, iirc -- dying flying crap crashing into things was more of thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10790 on: February 24, 2015, 12:11:47 pm »

But yeah, dry as old breadcrumbs.  I think what I learned from it, is that I just don't enjoy RTS games any longer.  It isn't the days of Dune and Warcraft any more, and the only RTS I've been able to enjoy since then was Homeworld.

i would love to see the classic dune 2 make a come back with a more modern unit control gui.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10791 on: February 24, 2015, 12:24:45 pm »

... I'll admit, though, I never really liked the air in the TA lineage games. I'd use the builders extensively and generally the gunships a fair bit, but it was the ground combat that was where it was at. Much more punchy, visceral, etc. Air stuff generally didn't leave wreckage, and that was a shame. Though SupCom was a little better about that, iirc -- dying flying crap crashing into things was more of thing.

I became a much larger fan of TA when I saw a fighter get pegged by an artillery shot aimed downrange.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10792 on: February 24, 2015, 12:31:10 pm »

i would love to see the classic dune 2 make a come back with a more modern unit control gui.

With a total game overhaul, or still a basic port of the old game into a new UI?

Not like this thing?  http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/old-games/dune-2000.php

which I guess is like 15 years old now.  holy fuck.

edit:  omg, its actually 20 years old.  I thought it had come out significantly later than that, I guess "2000" still seemed futuristic back in 1995.

also, found this:  http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/20346-list-of-dune-ii-clones-and-remakes/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:40:21 pm by puke »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10793 on: February 24, 2015, 12:37:36 pm »

While I might be getting the dunes mixed up, doesn't OpenRA have a version of dune 2000?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10794 on: February 24, 2015, 03:01:13 pm »

With a total game overhaul, or still a basic port of the old game into a new UI?

Not like this thing?  http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/old-games/dune-2000.php

which I guess is like 15 years old now.  holy fuck.

edit:  omg, its actually 20 years old.  I thought it had come out significantly later than that, I guess "2000" still seemed futuristic back in 1995.

The site is wrong. It's not a DOS game and didn't come out in 1995. It's a Window 95 game from 1998. The main thing I remember are the awful reviews it received. I never bought a copy. I might check it out one day. It might be a case of not being objectively terrible, but that it just didn't stand out at the time it was released due to the many Dune 2 clones coming out around that era. I also played Return To Castle Wolfenstein, which got bad reviews for similar complaints (bringing nothing new to the genre) and that was tons of fun.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:06:37 pm by Reelya »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10795 on: February 24, 2015, 03:06:22 pm »

You guys are getting a bit off topic again...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10796 on: February 24, 2015, 03:07:24 pm »

Discussing old obscure games is on topic since they're either on Gog or people are petitioning GoG to get them. As well as 1998's Dune 2000 remake, there's also a 2001 game which is a sequel to the 1998 one: Emperor: Battle for Dune. I never hear about any of these, has anyone given them a shot?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:12:05 pm by Reelya »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10797 on: February 24, 2015, 03:09:03 pm »

But are they on sale?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10798 on: February 24, 2015, 03:09:44 pm »

Discussing old obscure games is on topic since they're probably on Gog.

Oh, I'm sorry? Is this the old obscure games thread? I must have gotten lost! Here I thought this thread was:
Thread for steam sales and discussions to see if they are worth it.

edit: due some discussions taking up pages and apparently rude people that complain, im instigating a two page limit for discussion on a single game.

OH SILLY ME. WHAT A STUPID MISTAKE I MADE.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10799 on: February 24, 2015, 03:12:03 pm »

I hope you've learned your lesson Umiman.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 1134