Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457323 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #10770 on: February 20, 2015, 02:36:04 pm »

You might get an idea why I refuse to buy anything this dude profits from.

Good thing it's one of the Humble Bundles. As long as you don't mind being seen as a statistic (X000000 people bought his book thing, they must love it), you can set your slider such that the publisher gets nothing out of it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10771 on: February 20, 2015, 03:18:35 pm »

So, I just got the email for this weekends Gog specials. ATARI + Rebellion special. Many strategy titles, some shooters. A couple i'm interested in though a few I've already played or have no specific interest to see others in the franchise.

I finished Evil Genius already. It has a great aesthetic, and is fun at first but the game turns into a real drag. Overall I don't recommend it because it just doesn't have the late game going for it.

I'm going to give Rogue Trooper a shot since I'm a fan of the comics.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #10772 on: February 21, 2015, 05:44:26 am »

Empire Earth series on sale on GoG.

Here's your guide:

The Original Empire Earth, holy fuck it was good but now it looks like ass and games that have done things similarly (though not exactly) may have created gameplay elements you wish you could see in Empire Earth 1. Kinda like some Diablo 2 clones are better than Diablo 2, and if you went back and played Diablo 2 you'd wish some of those newer features were present.

Empire Earth 2 doesn't look as much like ass, and was an attempt to do really cool sounding things with lackluster execution. It removed a couple things that really made Empire Earth stand out, even to this very day, and traded it for more focus on neat stuff happening as you advance through the epochs.

Empire Earth 3 is a game I've never played because it doesn't exist. It really doesn't, la la la, can't hear you.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10773 on: February 23, 2015, 11:58:51 am »

Kinda like some Diablo 2 clones are better than Diablo 2, and if you went back and played Diablo 2 you'd wish some of those newer features were present..

You shut your whore mouth. Or uh, provide examples. You know, for science.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

GP Trixie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10774 on: February 23, 2015, 12:18:59 pm »

I don't know what Chaoswizkid had in mind, but I can think of plenty of newer features.
Things like auto gold pick up, or even the AOE pickup button you have in sacred 2 with filter for trash items. Diablo 2 is lacking modern screen support, 800*600 is a bit outdated. Crafting a large amount of things with the cube is a chore. Portal and ID scrolls are a pointless commodity after the first hour of the game. A decently sized stash is lacking without mods. There is no mechanism to heal between fight without going to town.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10775 on: February 23, 2015, 12:20:38 pm »

Empire Earth series on sale on GoG.

Here's your guide:

The Original Empire Earth, holy fuck it was good but now it looks like ass and games that have done things similarly (though not exactly) may have created gameplay elements you wish you could see in Empire Earth 1. Kinda like some Diablo 2 clones are better than Diablo 2, and if you went back and played Diablo 2 you'd wish some of those newer features were present.

Empire Earth 2 doesn't look as much like ass, and was an attempt to do really cool sounding things with lackluster execution. It removed a couple things that really made Empire Earth stand out, even to this very day, and traded it for more focus on neat stuff happening as you advance through the epochs.

Empire Earth 3 is a game I've never played because it doesn't exist. It really doesn't, la la la, can't hear you.
I still really like EE1, I just wish it scaled better at higher reseloutions, sometimes I feel like my face is being pressed in to the dirt, a little bit more view wouldn't hurt (EE remastered enhanced HD edition anyone?)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10776 on: February 23, 2015, 12:43:14 pm »

That's one feature SupCom spoiled RTSes for me; I can't stand not being able to scroll WAY out.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10777 on: February 23, 2015, 12:54:47 pm »

Also shift queuing everything. Even before you've built your first building you've asked it to produce 2 scouts, an engineer, have the engineer build another building while the scouts do scouty things then a tank that goes on patrol.

Being able to move and edit the locations and waypoints of things you've already shift queued too. Your transport has a ferry point over here but the enemy is coming too close, so you just drag it further back. Your buildings are slightly out of order after you misclicked, so you just drag the blueprint into place instead of deleting everything and starting from scratch.

Prebuilt base schematics so you can jump plunk down templates instead of making your base from scratch every single game.

Super customizable UI elements, resize and move around your UI however you like.

Being able to actually split the screen or have two monitors show two different things so you can keep an eye on multiple things.

SupCom had the best RTS UI ever made.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10778 on: February 23, 2015, 01:34:10 pm »

Kinda like some Diablo 2 clones are better than Diablo 2, and if you went back and played Diablo 2 you'd wish some of those newer features were present..

I enjoyed TL and TL2 a good deal.  They have their flaws, but there are sure a lot of gameplay options to work with.  I've gone in thinking variously:

- "I want to make this kind of character, because it will look totally pimp to rock twin wands like the sorcelator"
- "I wonder if I can make a viable build if I run this class totally contrary to the obvious optimization path"
- "I want to press exactly one button and still take most things easily"
- "I wonder what a dedicated melee build is like?"
- "okay, its more fun to press three buttons than one, what is a versitile 3 button build?"
- "Hey, I saw something that looked cool, I want to try it"

And they've all been fun and given me different and rewarding gameplay experiences.  I have not taken any of them up to the level cap, or anywhere near it, as I lose interest before that.  But it is a game I still go back and play for a little bit every few months when I want to kill 30-90 minutes.

There is a prolific mod community, as well.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10779 on: February 23, 2015, 01:35:03 pm »

Too bad, for me, it was still as bland as dry toast at the end of the day.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10780 on: February 23, 2015, 01:52:43 pm »

well, at the end of the day, you just click on shit and loot pops out.  you cant expect too much from a game like this.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10781 on: February 23, 2015, 01:55:45 pm »

you just click on shit and loot pops out
Are we talking about binding of issac now? Because it sounds like it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10782 on: February 23, 2015, 02:15:49 pm »

I don't know about "better", but I know I enjoyed Dungeon Siege way more. Torchlight 2 is also a great Diablo 2 clone, even with eerily similar music in the first act.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10783 on: February 23, 2015, 02:51:59 pm »

Torchlight 2 is also a great Diablo 2 clone, even with eerily similar music in the first act.

They got the same guy to do the music; keep in mind that Runic are ex-Blizzard employees who made the original two Diablo games before leaving to start their own company.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10784 on: February 23, 2015, 03:49:50 pm »

The big thing I really liked over Torchlight 2 as opposed to Diablo (even Diablo 3, to some extent) was that it let people do mods. Right now there's some really good ones that extend the current Torchlight 2 while still keeping the same vanilla flavor (The Synergies mod adds something like 4 new classes and 2 entire extra acts to the game).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 1134