Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1459573 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #900 on: August 15, 2011, 12:40:01 am »

Fun Fact! For the next 8 hours, Greed Corp is $3.33 (67% off) and you should buy it.

Haha, oh wow, I have got to stop checking Steam Sales. I've amassed almost 50 games in less than a year :|
Same here, the sad part is i now own games that i can't play on this rig :P
I thought this thread was a great move on my part, at least we can pool the information here instead of flooding everywhere else.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 15, 2011, 05:37:20 am »

Didn't want to make a new thread for this so i guess this is the best spot to say this. TF2 is free on steam, but the download size is 10 times larger then a normal game. whats up with that?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: August 15, 2011, 05:56:52 am »

10 times larger? It's using 633 MB here, according to add/remove programs. Portal 2, by comparison, is using 10,156 MB, Alpha Protocol is using 11,435 MB, and Fallout: New Vegas is using 6920 MB. Even M&B: Warband is using more HD space than TF2 (890 MB).

Edit: Steam says that TF2 is using 7066 MB, so it's likely that add/remove programs is lying. Interesting. It says that Alpha Protocol is using 1110 MB, which is only 1/10th what add/remove programs showed, and Portal 2 is using 11300 MB, and F:NV is using 6819 MB... These numbers don't match at all.

Edit #2: And steam is wrong about alpha protocol, the H:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\alpha protocol folder has 11.1 GB of stuff in it.

I'm seeing 7.18 GB + 1.75 GB = 8.93 GB of stuff for TF2 actually in the steam folder. So they're both wrong! Go figure.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:05:57 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 15, 2011, 07:24:16 am »

Is the Source engine shared between games? That might be a factor if it's fairly big, especially if you don't have a prior source game installed.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 15, 2011, 09:19:08 am »

Yes, although I didn't count the engine's files when I totalled the file sizes manually (just for things labelled for TF2 specifically) and came up with a higher figure than Steam or add/remove programs.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 15, 2011, 10:44:16 am »

I'm curious.  How big is a normal game?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: August 15, 2011, 11:18:44 am »

It's not a case of how big TF2 is but how skewed his idea of "normal" is.
TF2 is 7.21 GB, before you decrypt the GCFs (the only number that actually matters to the download size), which is pretty much par for the course in terms of normal, AAA games these days.
My backup of the Fallout: New Vegas content files is 7.19 GB.
My install of ArmA 2 OA is 7.64 GB.
My install of Blood Bowl LE is 7.10 GB.
My install of Left 4 Dead 2 is almost 13 GB.

EDIT: The size of programs as reported by A/RP is completely useless -- it only reports what the installer reports to it, which could be any number -- especially when it's Steam, because none of the game's files are actually created by an installer.
The size of programs reported by Steam is, as I recall, just a number that's downloaded from the server.  I really have no idea what the actual purpose of it is, even.
The only way you can trust a measurement of disk space is to do it yourself.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:27:15 am by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #907 on: August 15, 2011, 02:13:51 pm »

http://windirstat.info/ is a great tool for that.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: August 24, 2011, 11:44:08 pm »

CrimeCraft: Bleedout is free. I don't know if it's always free or just for a limited time. They're also giving away a stuff pack for new accounts. I've never heard of it and I have no idea if it's good, but I need a change so I'm downloading now.

Serious Sam 3, which isn't actually going to be out for nearly two months is 10% off, but if you buy the Serious Digital Edition for $10 more, you get First/Second Encounter for free (I think - one place says they're free and one says 85% off). Which brings me to something that kind of pisses me off. The Serious Digital Edition comes with one piece of DLC - a sniper scope. The use of the phrase "DLC" implies to me that they're selling it. How can you justify selling something so meaningless? I'm sure it's a few bucks if purchased separately.

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 25, 2011, 04:05:57 am »

CrimeCraft: Bleedout is free. I don't know if it's always free or just for a limited time. They're also giving away a stuff pack for new accounts. I've never heard of it and I have no idea if it's good, but I need a change so I'm downloading now.

Serious Sam 3, which isn't actually going to be out for nearly two months is 10% off, but if you buy the Serious Digital Edition for $10 more, you get First/Second Encounter for free (I think - one place says they're free and one says 85% off). Which brings me to something that kind of pisses me off. The Serious Digital Edition comes with one piece of DLC - a sniper scope. The use of the phrase "DLC" implies to me that they're selling it. How can you justify selling something so meaningless? I'm sure it's a few bucks if purchased separately.
They come with it free. I'm downloading the first encounter as of this moment
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 25, 2011, 04:12:58 am »

Why is WinDirStat so amazing? :o
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 25, 2011, 05:33:43 am »

"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 25, 2011, 06:42:10 am »

CrimeCraft isn't bad but it's far from good. It has a weird mechanic for equipment and it's "npc's" are subpar at best. It doesn't know if it wants to be a fps or an MMORPG and it fails to deliver the core of either. Good timewaster for 2 hours or so though.

credentials: I was a beta and pre-order. The game has changed a lot since going f2p.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 25, 2011, 11:39:53 am »

All I can say about CrimeCraft is that it looks nice. I've been sitting in the waiting list to join one of its two servers for 5-10 minutes. It started at being around 500th place and I'm down to 191. I have to say, if there's a waiting list every time I log on, I won't be playing much.

I'm not even sure why there's a waiting list. The server isn't full, unlike the other one.

Edit: After playing, I can say that it was fun for the 40 or so minutes I played.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:09:11 pm by Mephisto »

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 25, 2011, 03:40:36 pm »

Why is WinDirStat so amazing? :o
Because of pretty, yet informative colors.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 1134