Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1459518 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #870 on: August 03, 2011, 05:21:16 am »

Which is better HOI 2 or 3?

I personally enjoyed hoi 2 more, but if you never played either, go with hoi 3

I haven't ever been able to really get into HOI3, honestly. Just some stuff about it that its just "Screw this I'm going to go play EU3"  Like the army control system, I really don't like it, the Brigades and Divisions and hqs, they just made it all needlessly complicated, and I think HOI2 was better in this.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: August 03, 2011, 05:54:34 am »

Which is better HOI 2 or 3?

I personally enjoyed hoi 2 more, but if you never played either, go with hoi 3

I haven't ever been able to really get into HOI3, honestly. Just some stuff about it that its just "Screw this I'm going to go play EU3"  Like the army control system, I really don't like it, the Brigades and Divisions and hqs, they just made it all needlessly complicated, and I think HOI2 was better in this.

Get Arsenal of Democracy. It's HOI2+expansions+Everything that AoD adds. Hoi2 is much more stable than Hoi3, it's a little easier to learn, it allows you to actually change history a bit and it's generally more fun in my own opinion. It's £2.74 on steam.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #872 on: August 03, 2011, 10:50:39 am »

I personally got Darkest Hour a couple of week ago, and have been enjoying it a bunch. I think I'm going to skip on other HoI series games right now unless someone really convinces me.

I've been having a blast with Darkest Hour. I think the tech is revamped, and I enjoy the way it is right now, and it features "Decisions", which are massively useful. I tried to play Darkest Hour Lite, which uses HoI2 base stuff, and really couldn't get into it after having toyed with Darkest Hour Full.

Can anyone else comment on the differences?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: August 03, 2011, 11:06:23 am »

I have HoI 2, and never really got into it. Seemed to take years to make any units, and was just not that much fun (I had never played EU3, so it wasn't a matter of having something better that I was comparing it to). When I recently got EU3 I found it a lot more fun, what with actually having diplomacy, a fully functioning economy, a military that didn't take years to train, all the different nations and so on, etc. I'd just skip the HoI series unless you're really into WWII.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #874 on: August 03, 2011, 11:11:12 am »

I personally got Darkest Hour a couple of week ago, and have been enjoying it a bunch. I think I'm going to skip on other HoI series games right now unless someone really convinces me.

I've been having a blast with Darkest Hour. I think the tech is revamped, and I enjoy the way it is right now, and it features "Decisions", which are massively useful. I tried to play Darkest Hour Lite, which uses HoI2 base stuff, and really couldn't get into it after having toyed with Darkest Hour Full.

Can anyone else comment on the differences?

DH has a far better map and longer scenarios. AoD has a far better combat and logistics model.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: August 03, 2011, 11:14:19 am »

Fishbreath, is there someplace I can read more about that? Or maybe a mod that incorporates the better combat and all that? Also, is HoI3 the best of both worlds?

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #876 on: August 03, 2011, 01:07:16 pm »

There's not a huge amount to say, except:
1. AoD calculates an effective supply efficiency for each province in real time.
2. AoD uses an additional stacking penalty to simulate the amount of force an attack can deliver. As a general grand-scale military strategy rule of thumb, the weight of an attack increases with the square root of its size; by adding stats behind the scenes that determine how concentrated a division's force can be (armor being the clear winner on that front), AoD makes mass infantry attacks a lot more deadly for the attacker than other HoI2 games.

I'm pretty sure Darkest Hour does recruiting differently, too; raising a division takes quite a while unless the country is mobilized, which is a mechanic entirely absent in AoD.

HoI3 is a different beast than HoI2 games entirely--the map is divided more finely (10,000 individual provinces, to Darkest Hour's ~2700 [?]), for one. I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, since I'm planning on waiting for a compilation edition, and my games backlog is already full to bursting as it is. It does have three features I like, though:
1. Build your own divisions. You recruit brigade-by-brigade and combine them into divisions, which is really cool.
2. Chain-of-command. You set up your own order of battle with commanders at various points along the tree (so I understand).
3. Aircraft carriers. In HoI2 games, they're very abstract--they're basically battleships with a very long range, a very high Air Defense value (for shooting down enemy airplanes), and a few special missions for attacking shore facilities. In HoI3, you take real air units and attach them to the carrier; you can then use the aircraft just like land-based ones.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: August 03, 2011, 01:12:04 pm »

Uh oh... I am such a stickler for the Pacific Theatre and carriers.....

Thanks for the input! I'm going to try to hold it and buy it some other time :)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: August 04, 2011, 12:39:39 pm »

Just thought I'll post this up here:
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/quakecon_doom

Not really my choice of games but I'm sure some of you guys might like what's on offer there. It's a pretty cheap complete pack.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: August 04, 2011, 12:47:35 pm »

Hey they finally added quake 4 to steam.  Only took them like 5 years.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #880 on: August 05, 2011, 03:21:06 pm »

Morrowind + Oblivion goty pack including all the dlc and expansions is on sale for 1 day as park of the quakecon sale at £10.99. The individual games are at 50% off if you already have one of them.

Also the quakecon pack itself may be worth a look if you don't own many of the 34 games in it at 84% off.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:24:20 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #881 on: August 05, 2011, 04:05:00 pm »

Gah. Why, oh why did I have to check this thread today...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 05, 2011, 04:12:27 pm »

That pack is literally one of the most amazing things on steam. Even if you factor in the duds you get, the dooms, quakes, ravens serpent riders trilogy, and Morowind, fallout 3 and NV + Oblvion and all avalible DLC for all 3 is simply amazing.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 07, 2011, 12:34:30 pm »

...I would buy the shit out of that pack.

Except for the fact that I don't have any money.

* dragonshardz has become used to disappointment. Nothing really matters to dragonshardz anymore.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 07, 2011, 03:16:04 pm »

25 bucks for new vegas and all dlc?

Do I want it?  How are the mods?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 1134