Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1458862 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #270 on: May 30, 2011, 01:27:41 pm »

Edit:

Apparently not, nevermind.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 03:05:56 pm by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2011, 02:18:02 pm »

Ping and RTT are two different things.

Ping sends an ICMP8 packet with random data. Usually the data is so small you get your optimal ping. You can get your common usage ping by sending one with a full packet of 1492 bytes. Normally, the pings you use are either 32, 64, or 128 bytes while real transfers use 1500-protocol (16+) bytes.

RTT on the other hand is the time between a TCP request of a given packet (or confirmation of packets arriving) in the stream and the packet actually arriving to you. Unlike ping where you get either a packet back, or a loss, the RTT actually measures the loss or the scrambled packets. Also, unlike ping, TCP doesn't ping/pong for every packet in an incoming data transfer, you get a lot of receiving packets and sometimes you send one, so the RTT is actually estimated.

As for games, if your game is using UDP, you can trust a regular ping to show somewhat correctly your reaction time to the game. If the game is using TCP, ping with at least 1000-1200+ bytes to get a timing that's somewhat near to your real ping in game. Note that not every game breaks the TCP packets in smaller chunks to send-as-they-come, most rely on the regular protocol, so they will fill up a packet before sending and that can increase your in game ping by a few milliseconds as well.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 30, 2011, 02:39:00 pm »

See, there's yet another instance where terminology is screwed up.
There's the RTT timer initialism that you're referring to, and the acronym RTT (Round Trip Time) that, in latency terms, would be equivalent to the result of an ICMP ping.

Can we move on?  800 is still in the realm of unplayable for any sort of game where timing is important, regardless of how you've measured the ping.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2011, 03:05:50 pm »

What kind of internet do you have? If it's satellite, any kind of competitive multiplayer FPS game is right out.
I hate hughes net so hard. And the worst part is we're under contract, so I can't even use a fucking aircard. But, back to steam sales. Any good single player games?(Hughes provide's satellite internet for those of you who don't know)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2011, 04:49:45 pm »

See, there's yet another instance where terminology is screwed up.
There's the RTT timer initialism that you're referring to, and the acronym RTT (Round Trip Time) that, in latency terms, would be equivalent to the result of an ICMP ping.

Can we move on?  800 is still in the realm of unplayable for any sort of game where timing is important, regardless of how you've measured the ping.
Nope. I'm referring to the Round-Trip-Time acronym. Ping is one thing, RTT is another. Both are very specific, people just tend to use ping to describe the latency. One is a very specific ICMP packet and the other is a latency calculation from your TCP transfer and it's not equivalent to an ICMP ping.

It's not necessarily wrong to say ping to describe your latency either, it's just not right if you're getting technical.

I've played TF2 with 800ms ping before. >.>

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2011, 05:49:03 pm »

Thread derailed!

*notches keyboard*

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2011, 06:34:33 pm »

How was it?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2011, 06:56:08 pm »

How was it?

Heh, I can answer that one because i've done the same.

Laggy
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #278 on: May 30, 2011, 07:26:48 pm »

The only way you can hope to hit something is with the Pyro or Demoman.

Unless you're fighting someone AFK, of course...
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 30, 2011, 07:57:09 pm »

Or your a pyro.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 30, 2011, 08:08:26 pm »

Or your a pyro.
Reading lvl decreases by 5.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 31, 2011, 12:25:46 am »

Deadringer Lagspy is almost invicible, if they do hit you, you just warp to the other side of the screen.  800 seems a bit nuts, id have thought portal 2 would be unplayable with that sort of ping tbh, normally even for people on the other side of the world (im an aussie, and im talking about americans/euros) you only see about 300-400, the times I have seen 500+ its usually cause someone is downloading on their internets. 

If you have steam, an easy way to test would be to grab a free demo with multi/mod of something you have and get online, if you see any servers with ping <100 you are golden 100-200 is ok, 200-300 will be hard to play and annoying, 300+ is too much for me
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:07:30 am by jester »
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 31, 2011, 12:27:47 am »

if you see any servers with ping >100 you are golden 100-200 is ok, 200-300 will be hard to play and annoying, 300+ is too much for me
Wrong angle bracket...

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 31, 2011, 07:07:52 am »

fixed
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 31, 2011, 08:19:59 am »

Alright then, time to download Steam onto my mother's computer and use my neighbors internet for TF2! But, completely serious, any good, cheap single player games on steam?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 1134