Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1458817 times)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #225 on: May 26, 2011, 09:50:53 pm »

Eh, I clocked it twice, second time on hard mode playing without sniper rifles.  Had me a whole pile of fun sneaking about lighting fires.  Yes the enemy respawn is a PIG but i took that to mean that killing them wasnt important, went around as much as possible, go by the rivers or just put the foot down and ram through the checkpoints, all worked fine for me
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 26, 2011, 10:15:09 pm »

Anybody got evil genius on steam and can tell me if it is moddable/decently patched?

I bought it some time ago. Keeps crashing on me (Vista), but maybe there's a fix out by now. Or maybe not, who knows.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #227 on: May 26, 2011, 10:25:35 pm »

I noticed Frozen Synapse is now being advertised on Steam. This looks fun, and I've shown interest in it since before it has made it's appearance there. Been waiting for it to happen, and from the looks of it, it looks like it's worth it's base price.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 26, 2011, 10:26:05 pm »

Anybody got evil genius on steam and can tell me if it is moddable/decently patched?

I bought it some time ago. Keeps crashing on me (Vista), but maybe there's a fix out by now. Or maybe not, who knows.

Nothing about a patch on the news page, thats a pity
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2011, 10:46:01 pm »

Nothing about a patch on the news page, thats a pity

Patched? The developers went out of business shortly after the game launched - just barely managed to get the first patch out the door before they went under. There's been no official work done on the game since, and AFAIK no stability patches have come out of the modding community either. (Heck, given that the game never really got proper modding tools and anything beyond simple reskins/rearrangement of existing abilities was extremely difficult, I'm amazed the mod community released as much as they did!)

That said, I never had the game crash on me, and I used Vista for two years before upgrading to XP. So I don't know what's going on there, but it's not just Vista. Not to say Vista isn't contributing to the problem, mind you, but there's something else at work as well.  ;)

Still, for $5, you'll get your money's worth out of it. It's a fun little game, if you can overlook the odd flaw ("Oh hey, 20 minions just died on the world map. Would've been nice if the game had warned me!" "Wait, so traps are useless unless you build a self-sustaining loop in an otherwise-pointless section of the map?" "Whaddya mean, there's no official sandbox mode?!").

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2011, 02:22:46 am »

I've gotten a lot of fun out of Farcry 2, despite what people say. It really is nothing but traipsing around Africa shooting people, searching for diamonds, and occasionally progressing a simplistic story, but it does most of it pretty well. I love the buddy system mechanic (Probably not as good as it sounds, it's really just your "extra life." If you get knocked down, your buddy will come up and drag you a couple dozen yards away, let you heal a bit and stick a pistol into your hand. They'll stick around for a while and give some covering fire as well, but you only get this once, until you meet up with them in the safe house again. If you die again, without readying your buddy first, it's game over, back to the last save point.), I think the vehicles, while not great, are at least decent. The drives are a bit much, and you should take advantage of the bus system(fast travel between center and 4 corners of map) as much as possible. If you go through the game playing it only one way, it WILL get repetitive, but if you change your strategy around and try to take advantage of all of the weapons you can get, you'll find there's plenty of ways to do the same mission. One day you may snipe them, the other day you may charge in with a double barrelled shotgun. Maybe an rpg some other time, or just drive on in and slip into the mounted gun to mow the enemy down. Perhaps sneak in with a silenced pistol, charge through with your machete, or hell, just stand back and mortar the whole area. Perhaps one time you'll take the land route by car, or hike up a mountain to get a better angle, maybe the next you'll come in by boat on the river, or swim up to the shore under the water taking the dock guards by surprise.

Again, I'm not saying it's for everyone, but there is definitely potential there if you play it right. You do a lot of the same things over and over again, sometimes even in the same places as you've done them before. There is a lot of world to explore though, a lot of missions to do, especially sidequests, and plenty of diamond stashes to search out.

Personally, I don't play it with the mindset of "I'm going to just play through this game." It's my game that I just have on the side, whenever I want to just mindlessly(Or carefully, if I"m feeling sneaky) drive around and shoot. I really don't even try to keep up with the storyline all that much, what of it there is, all I know is where I can generally find missions if I want them. For me, it's also one of the few games I've played that have made me feel like I'm in a slightly cheesy 80s-90s action movie. I for one, enjoy that feeling.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2011, 08:26:22 am »

http://www.evilplanet.com/

There's a patch page on there. Also better than a wiki, i'd argue
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 27, 2011, 01:17:36 pm »

Star Trek Online is $3.75 which includes 30 days of time, which is about what you need to play the entire content.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 27, 2011, 06:28:31 pm »

So, shogun is 33% off. I guess I'll wait some more, till it's under 20-25. It's not like I have any time to play it right now (although if I bought it, I would probably play it anyway, in detriment of of grades in college)
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Thump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2011, 06:30:24 pm »

So, shogun is 33% off. I guess I'll wait some more, till it's under 20-25. It's not like I have any time to play it right now (although if I bought it, I would probably play it anyway, in detriment of of grades in college)

Yeah, same... I almost jumped on it to play coop with the fiancee, but after reading about how buggy coop campaigns are (desyncs) and how they're releasing paid DLC before fixing game breaking bugs, not too promising.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 27, 2011, 07:36:07 pm »

Yeah, same... I almost jumped on it to play coop with the fiancee, but after reading about how buggy coop campaigns are (desyncs) and how they're releasing paid DLC before fixing game breaking bugs, not too promising.
What game breaking bugs? I haven't seen any.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2011, 02:27:58 pm »

So, Assasin's Creed like they say it is? Worth the investment?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 28, 2011, 02:32:28 pm »

It's fun if you really like the story or if you set stupid goals for yourself
(Which I do all the time :P)

Se yes. it's fun if your pc can handle it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2011, 02:39:42 pm »

1. If your PC can handle it. AC 1 isn't too demanding anymore. AC2 is much more demanding. Scales ok.

2. Great game if you appreciate stories, although your appreciation of its may vary (mine does.) Great action game in general, I really enjoy the combat, and it's one of the better 3d platforming games on the market.

I recommend getting AC if you care about the story in anyway. Avoid AC1 and go AC2 if you just want to get straight to the best part of the series. AC1 is very gear, exploration and collection lite. The story is better though and sets up all of AC2. AC2 is by far the better "game" in most ways....but the story kind of troddles along and gets pretty cliche'.

Either way, AC2 is definitely worth $10. I'll be buying today.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2011, 02:48:06 pm »

I always like a good story with the fun the game provides. I'll give it a shot. Kinda a reason I also invested in Prince of Persia when it first went on sale.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 1134