Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Hawken - Indie Mech Game - Now F2P and On Steam  (Read 22442 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Re: Hawken - Indie Mech Game
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 06:47:30 am »

I like the new trailer

it doesnt bother me that much if its unoriginal deathmatch play, or not that mech like in feel, but possibly this is because ive played very few mech games (if any). Tbh depends what they charge for it. A standard death match game if the presentation is good (which this looks to be) and the game play is passable (i.e un buggy) is worth £10-15 imo. If they charge more it will need more depth to it. Also it might be modable.

so since there are some on this thread (theres also alot of people on rps doing the same) bemoaning the mechlike qualities i was wondering what good mech games are there for PC?

essence on PC here, and ideally games that run on XP, with out dosbox etc.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2011, 10:53:15 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEAEARD-Fo
Was that a heartbeat? The last clip had a heartbeat for the damaged mech...

Seems kinda silly, I guess the guy in the cockpit is all 'shit, I'm gonna die', but I wouldn't expect heartbeat.

Never the less, I'd totally give this game a shot, if I had the money for it of course.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2011, 11:01:00 am »

<whining>

There are two rough styles of huge mecha games (which are a genre all by themselves, and not subject to standard physics when it comes to mechs, because, being GIANT MECHS, they run on the rule of cool). The first is the BattleTech style, where mechs are large, ponderous critters with a real feel of mass to them. The second is the Armored Core style, where mechs are maneuverable out of proportion with their size, able to dart around the battlefield on jets and the like, fly, run maddeningly fast, and so on.

1. This is a fusion of the two. Mechs aren't hugely more mobile than they are in, say, MechWarrior 4.
2. The weapons are a little bit on the bland side, but missiles and guns aren't vastly different than missiles and guns and lasers and PPCs.
3. The tone of your posts makes you sound like a huge jerk. This is not related to the game per se, but deserves to be said anyway.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2011, 11:01:22 am »

That latest video worries me a bit.  It all looked like joystick/controller style look, rather than mouse look.  I actually prefer my mechs to move as as my wrist.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2011, 12:42:20 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEAEARD-Fo
Twitchy generic deathmatching shit.
The moves that are made in this video are not made by ponderous construction site sized vehicle types, and i'm not talking about other mech games. I'm saying these fucking things are moving so fast and turning so sharply, they've managed to break my suspension of disbelief that they're actually objects as tall as a street lamp pole (0:24 in the video, the top of the lamp is at what i assume is 'eye level' of the player's screen) that have managed to not only NOT destroy themselves in the process of moving at such speeds, but also not crippling themselves after falling from heights as tall as a fucking highway overpass or a few of their own body lengths from their jetpack flights.

While I sympathize with your notions of the inconsistency between the elements in the game and how they represent reality, I don't think it's something a little modding can't fix.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2011, 05:37:47 pm »

The graphics are excellent. And while it doesn't look like it'll be a "realistic" mech combat game, it did look fun enough. I certainly hope modding is capable with this game.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2011, 06:24:16 pm »

1. This is a fusion of the two. Mechs aren't hugely more mobile than they are in, say, MechWarrior 4.

Just curious, but did we both watch the same trailer? Or was mine running at 3x speed? Because I definitely do not see anything remotely near the 'large, ponderous' feel of a Battletech mech in that trailer. All I see is a bunch of humanoid mechs darting around like coffee-addicted squirrels. Not really something I like in my mech games. If I wanted super-fast FPS I'd go play Tribes, or some other speedy FPS. I want a mech game dagnamit. :(

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2011, 06:28:33 pm »

Ahahahahahah

Realism whining.

"Is say, a game using some element yet not fitting the style in my mind for that element? Truly it must be derivative trash that is utterly worthless!"

Ahahahohoho.

I am being a colossal asshole in this post because apparently this is a huge issue that must be taken with overreacting.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2011, 08:25:19 pm »

While it wouldn't be the mech game I'm looking for, there's nothing wrong with it just being an FPS that uses mechs to circumvent things in normal FPSs, like staying on the ground and not having swarm missiles.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2011, 10:43:07 pm »

Just curious, but did we both watch the same trailer? Or was mine running at 3x speed? Because I definitely do not see anything remotely near the 'large, ponderous' feel of a Battletech mech in that trailer. All I see is a bunch of humanoid mechs darting around like coffee-addicted squirrels. Not really something I like in my mech games. If I wanted super-fast FPS I'd go play Tribes, or some other speedy FPS. I want a mech game dagnamit. :(

With the exception of the fast jumpjetting around horizontally, it's not significantly off from MechWarrior 4's medium mech (read: fun mech, but this is a matter of personal opinion--anything more than 60 tons I cannot stand) mobility.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2011, 12:06:48 am »

"In my day, mechs were operated with levers to go forward and backward, and they didn't have these fancy free-floating torso thing-a-majiggers. And WE LIKED IT!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2011, 12:13:46 am »

And they started out OVERHEATED and you had to CRANK the vents just to get em to work!
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2011, 12:19:49 am »

All the weapons were on the same circuit, and you had to open the circuit board under the dash and move the circuits around BY HAND to use different weapons!
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2011, 12:31:16 am »

With the exception of the fast jumpjetting around horizontally, it's not significantly off from MechWarrior 4's medium mech (read: fun mech, but this is a matter of personal opinion--anything more than 60 tons I cannot stand) mobility.

Same, though there was one, I think it's called the Battlemaster?
Anyway, it was a heavyweight and was still ridiculously fast and mobile.
It's what I use in heavyweight fights so that I can keep what I like and still compete.

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2011, 06:19:19 am »

Eeeh... I'm not so sure. I've never seen any of Mechwarrior 4's mechs make sudden turns (without having to slow down for several seconds) like the mechs in the trailer were. I mean compare the Cougar (Isn't that one of the fastest scout mechs?) to those. Sure it can be pretty fast in a straight away, but they don't turn on a dime and ignore inertia. You either have to slow down a lot to take a sharp turn, or take the turn wide. Unless of course there is some way to quickly turn a mech I don't know about (Entirely possible).

The more I look at it the more it seems I've got to agree with Mechanoid's points (though in a less... abrasive way). Kinda looking to me like someone took a generic FPS, skinned the models over to look like mechs, and made scaled-down city scapes with flashy graphics...

That's not to say the game won't be fun and people won't enjoy it, just... Doesn't even seem like a mech game to me (Though maybe after they work out the animations they said they needed to work on, it'll look and feel a lot like Armored Core in First person, that might be kind of neat)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16