Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Hawken - Indie Mech Game - Now F2P and On Steam  (Read 22411 times)

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hawken - Indie Mech Game
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 11:03:34 pm »

The whole game is cockpit view, as it's an FPS. The third person stuff was all for promo purposes

Looks more like they need physics work, rather then animation work...well, yes animation too, but the whole herky jerky mech movement looks to be a physics issue.

Truth be told though, I really only posted cause of Tilla's avatar.  Gymkata?  Awesome!

Take care,

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 11:28:18 pm »

You are totally the first person who has mentioned the badassitude of my avatar. You win a no-prize.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 11:48:44 pm »

It's very very nice modeling.  Environments and backdrops are full of believable detail, the mechs are animated nicely.  Did they show three maps or only two?

Jump-jets looked bad.  Like inertia wasn't modeled.  Hit the jump button, you're instantly ten feet up.  It didn't look right.

Shakycam needs to go.  Hopefully that was just done to dramatize the spectator-mode shots.  Even head-bob makes me nauseous, I sure couldn't play a game with that camera.

I didn't see a way to quickly identify friend-or-foe.  Did I miss something obvious?  Maybe the sides have different mech shapes.  Maybe the HUD has FoF highlighting?  That might be cool.

It's sure one to watch for.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 11:56:15 pm »

I didn't see any cockpit view tho... Maybe I blinked and missed it... Or is it in another video?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 11:57:10 pm »

I didn't see any cockpit view tho... Maybe I blinked and missed it... Or is it in another video?

Right at the end, and yah if you blinked you missed it.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 01:15:26 am »

Oh duh, it's past the game's name. I closed it there. But I like the cockpit, I just hope it wont mean loss of even more peripheral view.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 01:33:27 am »

Looks very cool (aside from the animation); I'll keep an eye on this!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 02:28:56 am »

Coming out of hibernation to say that this looks like the most amazing game ever. A little digging led me to their actual website:

hawkengame.com

A little reading revealed that they're even farther along than it first appears; all of the footage was shot from actual network play, just as a spectator camera.

I have to agree with Aqizzar on this one: grittiest looking sci-fi cityscape I've seen in a long time.  Officially interested.

They aren't sure what platforms they are going to bring it to, but hope for XBox 360, Playstation 3, and PC, according to the website.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 04:39:41 am »

Pretty nice environment, but the gameplay looks a bit off to me. Anything that isn't Armored Core is kind of just doing it wrong, to be honest. They've got it down to a science. In fact, nearly everything coming out of From Software is gold(There's a few bad things...). Fan bias aside, pretty damn impressive for an indie group... I'm actually not sure I believe those backdrops were from anything less than a large company, which says a lot. The battles look a little sluggish and sloppy to me, but you can't really say for sure without playing. I'd definitely give it at least a try, a good mech game gets me fired up in a way few other things can.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 08:12:58 am »

statement of intent from the indies

saw the post on RPS and was ...  wwwwooooooowwwwrrruuggghhhh (drowling sounds)
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 10:19:22 am »

Pretty nice environment, but the gameplay looks a bit off to me. Anything that isn't Armored Core is kind of just doing it wrong, to be honest. They've got it down to a science. In fact, nearly everything coming out of From Software is gold(There's a few bad things...). Fan bias aside, pretty damn impressive for an indie group... I'm actually not sure I believe those backdrops were from anything less than a large company, which says a lot. The battles look a little sluggish and sloppy to me, but you can't really say for sure without playing. I'd definitely give it at least a try, a good mech game gets me fired up in a way few other things can.

Mmm I don't know, I'd say mechwarrior would give Armored Core a run for its money (not including the two Mechassault games). Though I suppose we'll have to see how the new mechwarrior turns out before we can say anything definitive about that, and that goes for Hawken to.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 11:43:14 am »

It looks sloppy and stuttery because it was shot in slow motion. Everything looks wack when you slow it down.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 03:08:25 pm »

Man, if they change the jump jets to a more ArmoredCore/MechWarrior style system with inertia and multiple levels of elevation I'll probably ejaculate on the spot. That game looks fukken amazing.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 03:14:16 pm »

Those maps cry out for destructible buildings.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 06:27:40 pm »

There is less then 3 seconds of actual "gameplay" in this video; that's less then 2/100ths of a PERCENT.
Some people may say you can not judge a game by how much or how little gameplay they show in a trailer.

... But those people are fucking idiots. The amount of gameplay shown is exactly the amount of gameplay you should expect. It was a graphics-whoring trailer, not a gameplay trailer, and the gameplay shown is fucking old and stale. Oh, a machinegun and rockets. Yes... Because i don't already have those in other mech games that i can play already and run reliably on a computer that isn't the "super" kind.

Image is theme related, spoiler for huge:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16