Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nest Boxes = Animal Trainers?  (Read 1411 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Nest Boxes = Animal Trainers?
« on: March 07, 2011, 08:07:21 pm »

So, I've got a poult (a turkey I think?) sitting on a nest box, with about three dozen chicks around her.  The chicks are rapidly getting into fights, as the nest is against a wall, they're crowded, and there's constantly more of them!  While hilarious, I want to weaponize it.

First idea: Chain criminals beside the nest boxes, laugh as they're pecked on endlessly.

Second idea: Chain a war animal beside the next boxes, train fighting skills.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
Re: Nest Boxes = Animal Trainers?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:24:54 pm »

RE: Second idea: I don't think animals will gain any sort of skill with out [CAN_LEARN]. Though adding that tag might have... consequences.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:32:51 pm »

Also: I'm breeding minotaurs as soon as a female shows up.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:40:35 pm »

RE: Second idea: I don't think animals will gain any sort of skill with out [CAN_LEARN]. Though adding that tag might have... consequences be FUN.
I want to try that now...
Soaplent green is goblins!

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:03:18 pm »

Third idea: How about training the military by locking them in a small room with a lot of chicks?

Plus food supplies, of course.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:21:40 pm »

While I am at it, maybe I will add the 'trainable' tag to dwarfs... Urist the war-dwarf!
Soaplent green is goblins!

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:10:41 pm »

That way a crazy berserk dwarf will have rabies!
I imagine a Dwarven Hunter with a Hunting Dwarf. A dwarf with a crossbow and some leathers, and another one naked, crawling, drooling with a chain around his neck.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 10:12:03 pm »

That way a crazy berserk dwarf will have rabies!
I imagine a Dwarven Hunter with a Hunting Dwarf. A dwarf with a crossbow and some leathers, and another one naked, crawling, drooling with a chain around his neck.
Kinky
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 10:17:11 pm »

Third idea: How about training the military by locking them in a small room with a lot of chicks?

Plus food supplies, of course.

But you already put in the chicks...

Hehehehe.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.