Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Airfail the Fortress of Tragedy (Succesion Fort, NEEDS OVERSEER)  (Read 18521 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Been wanting to do a succession fort for some time now, since I grabbed the new version of DF, fortress defense, and phoebus I figured it was high time to get on with it.

Zafalungeg Geshud Mosos
(Airfail The Fortress Of Tragedy)

Requirements: .19+ Dwarf fortress with Fortress defense (Non-challenge) installed. Fortress Defense Mod

Rules:

1. No Living/working/recreation below ground. All structures must be built, not cut into the rock.
   (Caveat: In time of siege it is acceptable to hide people in the mines. Miners will of course be allowed to do their jobs as well.)

2. No Cave farming. No plants that grow without light shall be planted, only topside plants may be planted.

3. Each turn is 1 year in game or 1 week real time, whichever comes sooner. (Extensions will be granted)

Player List
1. Draignean (Complete) Save
2. Billybobfred (Complete) Save
3. Kzel (Complete) Save
4. MagentaWolf (Complete) Save
5. BlastoiseWarlorf -Skipped-
6. Aramco -Skipped after save corruption-
7. Kogut
8. Ilikor
15. Kzel

Named Dwarves

Nickname: Draignean
Profession: Technocratic Void Engineer

Nickname: Billybob
Profession: Carpenter
KIA

Nickname: Kzel
Profession: Smith
KIA

Nickname: Hood
Profession: Sniper
KIA

Nickname: MagentaWolf
Profession: Miner

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 02:56:37 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Airfail the Fortress of Tragedy (Succesion Fort)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 03:37:39 pm »

From the journal of Draignean Nishrag

Pitching my idea to them today, if they go for it I'll advance the Dwarves farther than anyone this decade. Well Almost anyone, that combined Kitten-masher and biscuit maker was a work of genius... damnit.

WHO THE BLEEDING HELL DO THEY THINK I AM? I'm not a field man! How dare they send me to implement my own ideas! This is perhaps the worst setback I've ecountered to date, I'm being shipped off with six smelly grunt workers to test my own ideas... This is just the council getting me back for when I pointed out the flaws in their lava-powered beard curler. They'll want me back... they'll send for me again... They have to.

They haven't sent for me yet, I'm getting worried. The preperations look pretty serious, we're headed to a spot where a brook comes right out of mountain range. Plenty of forest, and the surveyors say there may be metals in the mountain. That is if the surveyors weren't busy kissing elves and rubbing sunberries on themselves, sun blind idiots.

I've embarked... my hands shake as I write this. We've left the safety of our great walls and all the mechanical marvels that lie within, Armoks name I don't think I can do this. Scrabbling in the dirt like a common peasant. Strange, one of the members ordered extra quivers made. I can't fathom why.

The journal rambles for a while, discussing various people and things. In particular going over his theories of multi-story structures filled with explosive ale. The drawings are quite bizarre, yet funny in a what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-you kind of way. The journal regains cohesive thought as the dwarves reach their destination.

1st Granite: We've arrived in this dismal little hollow... To the west the mountains that supposedly bear metal rear up, to the north the brook babbles merrily. We're in an area between forest and think plains, due to our lack of plantable food I'll be sending a few people to grub through the dirt and find some berries or something. I've taken one of the picks and decided to work in the earth, at least a little like my former home.

16th Granite: My hands ache almost too badly to write from swinging that blasted pick. We've designed the first building, and our masons are on the process of building it. The Carpenter has taken up fishing in his free time, I'm going to have to recall him from that to make us beds.

15th Slate: The still has been erected... Outside. It sickens me slightly but still it is the best thing. Hah, I have made a joke dear journal. The first floor of the Living quarters has been thrown up, the second story will be erected quickly and the roofing done.

1st Hematite: Summer is beginning. We've planted a few fields by the Residential structure, every edible crop that can be grown is grwn at all times. Work has commenced on the building that will one day hold our workshops, things are going quite well I think. Though my companions eye the horizon nervously from time to time.

25th Hematite: Apparently word of my presense has spread and several migrants have come to what will surely be a pinnacle of glory. One in particular interests me, a skilled weaponsmith named Kzel. I've ordered the Capenter to make more beds, I can only hope that these new arrivals to not overtax our capabilities.

Ack, there is no end to these fools! They've more than doubled the population and I've ordered them into the Masons group to help building efforts or as farmers to tend our growing fields.

12th Malachite: The additions to the workforce have dramatically enhanced our building speed, one of the workers deciding to start shunking out charcoal for smelting. I was forced to remind him that as we have no metal, we have no need of smelters. This does bring to mind our need of a defense of some kind.

2nd Galena: A storm has come and passed, I've drawn up an order for ten crossbows and several packs of bolts. When complete I'll form a militia to use them, I am now quite grateful to whoever added the additional quivers to our supplies.

Autumn has arrived, the first storage level above the workshops is almost complete. The farms have held up nicely, and the moat is coming along well. As soon as I find a suitable captain I'll round up a militia.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:47:02 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 03:38:35 pm »

I call year 2.

(dorf me as a hammerdwarf/engineer/carpenter who builds his own danger room and doesn't let anyone else use it)
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 03:51:02 pm »

Fortress Defense eh ? Are Danger Rooms allowed or does the military have to train the hard way, through blood and battle ?

I'll take year 3 IF the embark isn't larger than 3x3 (ideally 2x2), otherwise the FPS will probably be too low for me to do anything within a reasonable timeframe.

You'll need weapons and armor fast, so I'd like a proficient weaponsmith/armorsmith, enable wood burning and furnace operating on him/her as well and start the production as soon as possible.

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 04:04:24 pm »

So, fortress defense, version .19, and no underground buildings?  This is a recipe for some serious fun, especially if you have an area with gold or silver.  Hopefully you get an area with magnetite, that stuff is a godsend in .19.

I think I'll just be dorfed and watch the mayhem for now.
Name: Hood
Skills: marksdwarf, bonecarver
Profession: Sniper
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 04:25:41 pm »

Aha! One that I can get in on the ground floor on, and sounds like a fun challenge.

I'll take a dwarf; miner / mason, and I'll sign up for a turn, too. :)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 05:48:03 pm »

Yes danger rooms are allowed, the embark site is 3 by 4 so I could get the mountains and the brook in the same site.
---

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 06:09:39 pm »

I usually end up with around 60 dwarves on year 3. With a large embark and the overwhelming amount of litter Fortress Defense brings about, it's usually enough to bring the game down to a crawl. Still, I'll give it a shot, as death can come quickly with Fortress Defense, and a few dead dwarves is the best remedy for low FPS (if they don't come back as ghosts).

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 06:11:33 pm »

I usually end up with around 60 dwarves on year 3. With a large embark and the overwhelming amount of litter Fortress Defense brings about, it's usually enough to bring the game down to a crawl. Still, I'll give it a shot, as death can come quickly with Fortress Defense, and a few dead dwarves is the best remedy for low FPS (if they don't come back as ghosts).

Aboveground forts don't generally suffer as badly from FPS death, lack of a dozen active z-levels I think.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 04:05:20 am »

10th Sandstone: The militia has been made, ten strong arms with crossbows should deter most things.  We also appointed a broker, he was a planter but seeing as none of us knew a thing about what our items were worth we went with the man who could at least lie about their value and be believed.

Augh, yet more migrants! The attention is flattering but we are running into the very real problem of where to put all of them... Yet more expansion is neccessary to the housing tower. This is putting a strain on our stone stocks, the miners have been unable to produce more since they are currently busy digging the moat.

28th Sandstone: As our butcher struck down one of the bulls to increase our depleted stocks of red meat our woodcutter become enthralled by some dread spirit! I have heard of this affliction of the soul, but have never seen it in action. He takes bones from the still warm corpse of the bull, and without further ado begins the construction of... something.

4th Timber: The woodcutter has emerged bearing a wondrous shield made from the remains of the great bull. It is a simple thing entirely without ornament, perhaps it will protect us from what may come. Whatever it is I count it as a good omen.

Ptaugh! Omens?! What am I becoming?!? Soon I'll be as addlebrained as the louts that surround me... I may need a break from this job.

13th Timber: Tragedy! The cowbone shield known as Mireglitter of Withering was stolen by raccoons! Many of the fowl beasts were bloodied by our ferocious storm of bolts and other items were recovered but the great shield shall remain lost forever... We are fortunate that the woodcutter was merely possessed, otherwise that shock of having the sweat of his brow stolen might've driven him to madness.

28th Timber: The moat has been completed! While it isn't a perfect defense it should keep most things out, and the moat itself has been connected to the nearby brook by way of an underground passage. It may take days to fill but it will be well worth the time and effort. We're running low on stone so fortifying the massive line is out of the question at this point.

4th Moonstone: Winter is on us, and the caravan has come in. We've placed orders for some exotics that we can't produce and won't produce for a while yet. We also began roofing the dining hall, we only have enough stone for half right now but I'm hard at work with my partner MagentaWolf to remedy the situation.

Gone are the days of blisters, I now split rocks with the best. Sometimes I dream of giving up my comman to another... oh that would be  heaven.

6th Opal: Moat almost full, construction on a large warehouse behind the hall of fabrication has begun. Our liason has left a list of items that they would like us to produce, most of it seems pure fancy.

5th Obsidian: The Warehouse is in use now, the first think that happened was a bluejay ramming iself into the door just as it was shutting. The result was a bloody door and a very dead bluejay. Still, this is a bad sig- Damnit I'm doing it again. I need to get away from this job before I become a complete tribal!

The Moat is now effectively full, and the mines are back to producing more stone than we can handle. The dining hall has been roofed fully and has a good set of tables and chairs.

13th Obsidian: Another dwarf, A jewler this time, has fallen into a mood. More classical this time, he simply demands the best of everthing. Our lack of a Jewels resulted in a lack of a jewlers shop so we are constructing the demanding idiot one as I speak. I debated merely locking him in his room, but this fortress needs another artifact to guide us through this dark patch.

He went for it and is demanding rough gems, I'll let him know if I find any.

1st Granite: The situation with the jeweler has yet to be resolved, but I can't do this anymore. The moat is nearly full and is quite effective, all you have to do to completely seperate the fortress from the outside world is to pull the lever on the 3rd floor of the hall of fabrication. The second story of the warehouse is nearly complete but the building is already in use even as the workers toil on the finishing touches. The militia has been re-armed and a mule has been sent to the butchers...

I am confident that I have achieved much but... I confess I want more time to myself for my studies. I shall give up my command to another more willing soul, perhaps in a while I will take up the mantle again.

Uploading the save as we speak.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 04:14:33 am »

---

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 09:32:12 am »

That...is...wow. Awesome. Literally. A GIANT MOAT to protect your outside dwarves from goblins and other nasties. Noone below ground except miners. A lost-forever plain artifact bone shield. A...something...on the way.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 10:40:14 am »

I took a quick look at the map (played until mid spring), and there are good thing and bad things.

Spoiler: Big Spoiler (click to show/hide)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 02:21:17 pm »

Downloading the save now...
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 04:11:49 pm »

1st Granite, 127

"Airfail, the Fortress of Tragedy", they call it. Well. It's a fortress, exposed to the air, which is both fail and tragedy, so I guess the name is apt.

I'm a bit surprised when Draignean passes the reins of leadership on to me. I haven't been paying a damn bit of attention to what's been going on. That damn "sun" thing hanging from the ceiling "sky" is just too bright. Why me?

I guess, why not me?

So. A look around.

We have "enough" booze and food. Unfortunately, one significant digit doesn't help enough in planning. We need a bookkeeper, but everybody's busy. I'll figure something out.

(Not sure why the sand is showing up like that. =/)
This moat is insufficient. Some creatures can swim through it. A second dry moat will keep those out. I'll have to take special measures around the source for the water moat, but it shouldn't be too hard. Just throw up a wall over it.

While I do that, I'll add a mist generator to the dining room, and build an office for our bookkeeper/manager. Actually, that seems like a bad idea. One office for our bookkeeper, and a completely separate one for our manager, who will be a different dwarf entirely.

And maybe a tower for our archers... do we have any archers, even?

4th Granite, 127

I've been wondering whether the bridge had a control anywhere. Inspecting the bridge reveals that it does, but I have no clue where the thing is. It might not even be a lever for all I know.

20th Granite, 127

Migrants have arrived.

A leatherworker, a soap maker, an animal trainer, a bone carver, an engraver, a stoneworker, a wood burner, a jeweler, a glazer, a fisherdwarf, a tanner, a miner, a carpenter, a thresher, another stoneworker, a stonecrafter, a peasant, and an armorer. And I swear to Armok they all brought pets. So many pets...

27th Granite, 127

A gem cutter went insane because his mood wasn't satisfied. Why wasn't I informed we had a moody dwarf?! Arg. At least he's melancholy, instead of, like, berserk or something.

13th Slate, 127

I think that speaks for itself. Yay, babies!

15th Felsite, 127
a vile force of darkness has arrived

and we have no military

17th Felsite, 127

Also there's a snatcher, lolwut.

18th Felsite, 127

So, Draignean had set up a squad during his year, and I figured, how could sending this squad at the siege's only point of entry make things any worse?

And hey, it worked. They ran off after one casualty. Apparently, dark stranglers are wimps.

Also some elves showed up. Whatever.

20th Felsite, 127

That failed-mood guy died.

26th Felsite, 127

The snatcher got knocked into the moat and even though he's a crumpled bloody heap that's no harm to anyone, he's still freaking everyone out. Including the elven merchants. Could this be problematic????

1st Hematite, 127
Just ignore the guy already!!!! >:(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12